Pool Renovation

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Jeevsie, May 20, 2008.

1. Jeevsie

Jeevsie 100+ Posts

Is it possible to add a hot tub to an in-ground swimming pool? How much $$$ are you talking about there? The house we're about to pull the trigger on doesn't have one. That's the only drawback.

p.s. Decided against adding the game room to the 2nd story from the previous thread.

2. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Yes. The price can vary hugely. When I considered doing it in Arizona, it was very expensive. The companies I wanted said about $15,000. The reason they gave is that all the subcontractors have minimums to come out. However, if you become your own contractor, it should cost about $7000 although gunite is more than the liner type. The dig is easy and plumbing is easy. The heater will run $1500 for gas and $3000 for a slow but efficient heat pump. The backfill will probably require some expertise.

A couple of notes: The resident Hornfans pool expert will probably tell me I'm wrong.

You can make a portable/prebuilt spa look like a built in with proper scaping. The prebuilts have more jets and are more form fitting to the body.

3. LH-Pools

LH-Pools 100+ Posts

Not sure if you are talking about me, but you are right on. The subs do have a miinimum.
    Everthing else you said is right also. It does cost $$$ to add a spa.
    Save some money and go to Rec warehouse and buy a portable spa.

4. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Thanks for the follow-up LH

5. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

Getting a separate portable spa is probably the way to go for some even if you are building a pool from scratch.

You heat just the water in the Spa and it recirculates instead of the design of most pool spas that have an overflow and return system that has you heating more water than you need to in order to keep the Spa hot.

You get a more comfortable Spa with fiberglass seats that wont snag the ladies' bathing suits and make it more comfortable to sit in.

You can move it close to the house and potentially screen it off better for more privacy.

6. Jeevsie

Jeevsie 100+ Posts

Thanks for the follow ups!

7. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

Well, from the opinion of someone who used to seel portable spa's (fiberglass design back in the early '90's) & the Hot Spring brand (similar to acrylic but a more commonplace type of shell that everyone is switching over to)... I like inground units.

If you've got the $$ to do it, I would go inground. You can fit more people, you've got more room to move, you get a pump system that's easier to work on, it adds "some" resale to the house (although LH will probably agree with me that swimmin' pools are really more for the desires of the current owner moreso than any resale bennies, which are actually a losing proposition).

Portables often get crummy looking cabinets after a few years & acrylics get gnasty looking "spider cracks" in the shell around the lip. One benefit of a portable is that you can negotiate the spa in or out of a house sale; take it with you if the $$ is lowballed. Portaqbles are usually a bit more energy efficient (if you get a 240v setup vs. a 110) due to the better quality thermal cover for holding in the heat.

If I was goign to purchase a portable, I would absolutely 100% still go with a Hot Springs. They give you a guarantee on your energy usage based on who your energy supplier is & they have a great warranty.

Other suggestions: Go with one that does NOT have a lot of molded seat positions if you can & avoid an air injector.

The specific seating locks you into one set position & if you have a jet behind you & want to move over a few inches, you have to contort your body vs. just slide sideways a bit.

Air injectors just add a lot more locations for a leak & when the spa isn't being used, the water doesn't get circulated (or cleaned). Also, when the spa is hot to your preferred temp, air injectors cool the water off pretty fast. It's also one more component to break & actually the two most common parts to go aggy (read: fail) are the control panel & the air injector.

If you can find a used one, Hot Springs units are the highest priced for resale value & there's a reason for that.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]