Portland, Oregon

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by lazytexasfan, Dec 11, 2007.

1. lazytexasfan

lazytexasfan 100+ Posts

not sure if this is the right board for it, but i may be moving to portland for a job, after i graduate in may.

anyone here living in portland, or live in portland previously? anything that y'all can tell me would help.

thanks!

2. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

triplehorn ans AKHornFan live there. Hopefully they'll be along in a bit for some help.

3. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

...and a sloe gin fizz, If that ain't lovin'
    Then tell me what is...Uh-huh..... uh-huh

4. mayberryrfd

mayberryrfd 100+ Posts

Why is it when I read Oregon, I think of the unabomber and serial killers?

5. Tandoori Horn

Tandoori Horn 25+ Posts

I interned there last summer and had a great time. You've got the mountains (St. Helens, Hood, etc), the Columbia River Gorge, Multnomah Falls, and Cannon Beach all within a very short drive. There's also some places to go rafting, although I missed out on that.

The nightlife is below average, especially compared to Austin. There are a handful of cool bars: McFadden's, Thirsty Lion, and the Dixie Tavern. Aura and Bettie Ford are the two good clubs there. But in general, the Pearl District is a poor man's 4th Street. The bar scene just doesn't come close to Austin. For live music, there's a couple of spots: Venue (off MLK) and Doug Fir are both decent.

For restaurants, there's the McMenamin's chain which has several unique places: Kennedy School (a former school turned movie theater/bar/restaurant/hotel), Roadhouse (over by Intel), and the one over in Troutdale with a mini golf course. There's a good crowd at O'Henry's off 12th. And happy hour during the week (4-6P and after 9P) you can get $2 burgers, strips, etc at most places such as McCormick's, Stanford's, Portland City Grill, and Manzana's.

6. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

Do not get Shang-hai'ed.

that is where that **** started.

7. austintexas

austintexas Guest

8. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

Well I lost my heart it didn't take no time
    But that ain't all. I lost my mind in Oregon

9. miguelito

miguelito 250+ Posts

10. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

11. Kahuna

Kahuna 25+ Posts

The Unabomber was found near Lincoln, Montana.

12. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

I spent one summer there... and miss it dearly. Everytime I wore a UT t-shirt, someone would stop me and tell me how they were associate with Austin. It must have happened a dozen times in one summer. Austin and Portland are fairly comperable in culture. There are a lot of Austin transplants there.

13. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

In a booth in the corner with the lights down low
    I was movin' in fast she was takin' it slow...uh-huh........Uh-Huh

14. clandestine

clandestine 25+ Posts

I'm not sure how this thread got this far without someone observing that Portland is Beer Capital, USA.

15. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

Austin and Portland are fairly comperable in culture.

I'd say this is true. Although i think Austin is not quite as progressive. It seems the progressives in Austin are always using Portland as an example of ways of dealing with urban growth, suburban sprawl, transportation, enviromental issues, homelessness, etc.

Portland is a great city. Like Austin, without the brutal summers and Pflugerville.

16. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

very true about the progressive part

17. lazytexasfan

lazytexasfan 100+ Posts

thanks to all those with input on the city. this will be my first full time job and i'm a little apprehensive about moving to a new city where i'll know noone.

any other input appreciated. thanks!

18. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

If you need a shrink in Portland, I know of one who might be able to help you out.

[​IMG]

Other than, go out... A LOT! Be nice, take a bottle of wine to EVERY party you're invited to, don't necessarily hit on the girls at work, but have them introduce you to their friends. [​IMG]

19. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

If you don't have a bicycle, get one. Ride it everywhere.

If you don't have a good pair of hiking shoes/boots, get some. Columbia River Gorge is one of the best hiking spots in the country. To not take frequent advantage of its proximity would be shameful.

20. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

You could be headed for your first job in alot worse places. Alot!

Portland is one of the top 5 cities i wouldn't mind at all living in. I think you will like it.

21. Longhorn_in_LA

Longhorn_in_LA 100+ Posts

I moved to LA right out of college, and didn't really know anyone. Don't let it be discouraging.

Couple pieces of advice:
    - Make it a point to be very outgoing. Go to the Texas Exes events in the city, and try to get involved with them. There will likely be a few people that either just moved to the city like yourself, or were in your shoes at some point.

- Hopefully, there will be some young people at your work, so you can go out with them from time to time.

- As another poster said, I wouldn't recommend trying to date anyone at work, but if you get to meet their cute single friends then you're gold.

- Try to move into an apt./house with 1-2 roommates. If you're lucky you'll have things in common, and will get out more than if you were to live alone. They'll also help show you around the city

- Get out of the apartment!! There are going to be a lot of weekends (especially in the first 6months) where you won't have anything to do as you'll still be just starting to meet people. Don't be afraid to go and do stuff by yourself. Go on a bike ride. Explore the city. Do touristy stuff. Go for a drive out to the coast.

Good luck to you!! [​IMG]

22. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

Portland is the bomb. Period. Ultra-progressive. An urban planner's heaven.

Beer and great wine (from Willamette Valley) everywhere in Portland. Awesome neighborhoods. I think the street grid is confusing, but my buddy living up there has convinced me it's not. They're divided by NE, NW, SE, and SW. Burnside is one of the dividing line streets. Whatever they are, learn them and love them.

23. Idahorn2

Idahorn2 250+ Posts

Powell's Bookstore on Burnside is the largest in the English-speaking world. Jake's Crawfish is a couple of blocks away. I stumbled into both of them one evening in 1981 and have been back at least once a year ever since.