Positioning players

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, May 19, 2008.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

good food for thought from Hoopgurlz on where to play players depending on height and skill set.

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

3. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

The ultimate goal of high school should be to prepare the student for the future, whether academically or athletically. As a coach it may be very tempting to put a 5-10 or 5-11 player down on the block because she can beat the average opponent. But if the player has college potential and you know that they need to develop as an outside player to have a shot at a college scholarship it would be a disservice to that student-athlete to have her train for a position that she cannot play at the next level.

Some players are so gifted athletically that they will be offered a scholarship regardless of their skill set coming out of high school. But the players that are not a true athletes need to be coached to play the position that gives them the best chance at success down the road.

I am guessing that Niqky Hughes was asked to play on the block most of her high school career. She has fantastic energy and athletic ability but it doesn't appear to me that she was encouraged in high school to work on her perimeter shot and I think that has impacted her college carrer.

4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Even if you've got a 6'3" post player it's a good idea for her to work on her outside shot and ballhandling a lot.

5. longhornx2

longhornx2 < 25 Posts

Niqky lead her high school team in 3 pts made and 3pts% yes she did play forward most of the time she was allow to play the 2 and 3 also.Niqky needs to work her ballhandling skills that is were she lacking, but if she ever gets healthy everyone better look out because she can dominate a game.