Possible coaching changes

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by easy, Nov 27, 2019.

1. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

The one coach that absolutely MUST go is the Special Teams coach, if we have one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Sources: Herman could replace both coordinators if he chooses

Well no kidding :fire::brickwall:

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We need a new "stop it" emoji

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is a decent article from a Hornsports guy about the season

When looking to the future, Texas would do well to recruit more players like Roschon Johnson. After an early season position switch, Johnson was the player who visibly played the Texas Tech game like he was not satisfied with the way the season played out.

Putting team interests ahead of self and playing with aggression are attributes to build on in 2020. Whether there are more players with Johnson’s attitude will ultimately determine whether or not the team reaches preseason goals.

Story of the season – Chapter 12

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  5. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Could not agree more. RoJo was clearly one of the brightest spots of this season. Love that kid.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

JF, I feel like next year's team will show more of that attitude. Herman needed Charlie's guys to field a team (can't win with nothing but underclassmen), but anyone that played from 2014-2016 for Texas was used to losing and that's a cancer that I feel is going to get cured. Even Charlie's last class (2017, including Sam) are seniors in 2020, but I feel like most that were more harm than help are gone.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I hope you are right. I thought this would be that year

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. zuckercanyon

injuries killed us, no doubt…..I still think the cupboard is a little less than full....in a few weeks we'll have most of our signees and then February wrap up...

9. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

From the looks of this^^^^post's ratings, apparently there would be a riot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  10. RainH2burntO

For whatever reason, I feel like we've been attracting a lot of "white collar" want it easy, fame seeking front runners who won't get down and dirty, humble themselves and earn it on every single play. We do have a few....no doubt...but havent had enough on the field. We need some dogs who just love to play and want it bad no matter the cost. Feel like some of our guys have come in thinking they've already made it. Neither they...nor "we" have made jack....and won't like that.

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I think 2020 commit Ja'Quinden Jackson is cut from this same cloth and he is a horse. But, as with all things, we will see.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

almost like he's really the head coach of the football program! :eek:

13. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Perhaps ... but unless these guys are superman, the scheme, game plan, and play calling (to include defense) ... matter. Bigly. Players don't make those decisions beyond a check down at the LOS.

We have had adequate talent for a long time, but have relied upon a superman to close the deal on the field which is why we have only 3 conference championships, two of which included national title games, 1 of which resulted in a win ... because we've struggled to play fundamental football more often than not.

If Malcom Roach jumps offsides 15 times/game, how long do we keep him in the game even if he IS lights out when he's not jumping offsides? (I know he doesn't, but it's a recent mistake being highlighted) ... who decides to keep him in the game despite that?

If Sam is lights-out when he's not fumbling 12 times/game ...

If Sterns is lights out but is repeatedly getting personal foul/pass interference penalties ...

By and large ... that means I'm not addressing every position on the roster every year compared to every team in the conference ... but BY AND LARGE ... we've had sufficient talent on the field to compete for the conference championships. Meaning ... we've been repeatedly been out coached on game day, and during the week, we've apparently failed to teach fundamental football. (and when I say we, I mean our coaching staff ... it's not just an easy out. It's part of being responsible for the team and why they make great money for what they do ... coach football.)

14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Exactly why would Herman “notify” the team of anything this evening other than “we’re going bowling”. Anyone Herman wants as a replacement isn’t available until after bowl games.

Get ready for a bowl with constraints on certain people. That’s why you hired Fedora and Beaty.

Then go about interviewing viable replacements.

My problem is that I don’t trust Herman to vet the janitor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  15. zuckercanyon

They’ve made it to winning more than losing, and expecting better results. Prior administration not so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Sorry, but there you go again.

In real estate it’s location. In college football, it’s coaching...if the talent is equal or close.

We have plenty of talent. After twelve games we should be, at the worst, 10-2. If or when Herman fixes the coaching issues — including himself — happy days will be here again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Getting Barry Odom as the defensive coach and either Graham or Ellliot as OC would be fantastic. Get it done Herman and CDC.

18. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I would be shocked if he replaced Orlando. And shocked if he does NOT replace Beck. Also, Would not be surprised if Beck is shuffled to a co-recruiting coordinator position with another person on the staff who is very involved with recruiting currently.

19. RainH2burntO

Thanks, Ronald Reagan.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Garmel,

Serious questions - do you know Graham Harrell personally? Has he changed?

21. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I think you are using players, and some very good ones, with guts and heart, to criticize CS. I strongly disagree with your negative inference about these young men. Using the terms "cancer" and "more harm" are unfortunate at best and downright offensive to some folks.

These are the Seniors on the team, and were recruited by CS and the guys you (imo) insulted:
    Duvernay
    Collin Johnson
    Brandon Jones
    Malcom Roach
    Jeffrey McCulloch
    Kirk Johnson
    Gerald Wilborn
    Jamari Chisholm

Some of these fellows were the reasons (again, imo) the reasons we were 7- 5 and not 5-7. Duvernay, Roach, Jones, C. Johnson specifically. Chisholm, Wilborn, McCulloch were hard workers, and hung tough throughout off seasons, practices, etc.

I don't know of anyone who fought through more adversity, and has shown great heart, and to my knowledge, has not done anything except try to help the team in any way he could than Kirk johnson.

I think we owe (and TH has expressed as much) these fellows a debt of gratitude.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  22. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

No, I don't. He seems to have behaved himself well of late.

23. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I think it is safe to say that Tim Beck will not be our OC next year. Highly doubt one will be named until after the playoffs. I think Hand and Drayton are safe. Wareheim is gone. 99% chance Mehringer is gone. Meekins is 50/50

No one on defense is safe. Looking at everything, I'd say the most safe is Giles for recruiting reasons, followed by Navair, Washington, and then Orlando. I could actually see us either keeping the whole defensive side or firing all of them. That is how open it is.

24. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

No I disagree.

Think about what you are saying. You are talking about the following guys.
    Brandon Jones - Best DB all year long.
    Malcolm Roach
    Jeffery McCullough
    Devon Duverney - Best WR since Shipley
    Collin Johnson
    Zach Shackleford

That is a lot of senior talent and leadership we are losing. One year of losing vs 3 years of winning. I know you want a reason to believe we are going to be better, here is the one I hold onto. UPGRADING THE COACHING STAFF WILL LEAD TO MORE WINS!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. zuckercanyon

I think when these guys aren't on the field any longer (save Jones and Duvernay) you'll see what I'm talking about. And even regarding those two (don't care for Collin Johnson, think for a 6'6" WR he gets pushed around a lot), you'll be surprised what steps in to those shoes next year. Y'all like grit and determination which sometimes exceeds talent but not with the players you're talking about. Get deep with 4 stars at each position and you'll find the "coaching up" happens more easily. I think Charlie's players were soft because Charlie was soft. They'd lose and think it was ok because guns/girls/etc or whatever BS Charlie was slinging. You can be mad at Herman and co all day long but like it or not there's 3 winning seasons in a row, which Mack was doing (except for 2010) but was on a decline. There was zero improvement while Strong was here and you can use all the "no help from administration" all day long but in the end it was 3 losing seasons. Now, next year we're in TH's fourth, and there's still mediocrity, I'll concede that TH has had his chances but he's not improving. This year, it looked like a M*A*S*H* unit out there on defense especially. The 2018 class is about to start their junior seasons (after the bowl game of course) and then we'll see what leadership they bring. Until then, it appears you long to be Baylor TCU Tech Kstate because those guys do more with less. No thank you. Texas needs to get the talent here in full (no, it's not here yet in full compared to the best programs) and then you'll see. Fire Herman prematurely and you get to wait a while (again).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Some kids named Ehlinger, Ossai, Duvernay, Brown, Green, Ojomo, Adeyole, Coburn, Ingram, Roach, Graham, Sweat and a few others did pretty well too.

Get more discipline in the OL and tackle better, Texas will be just fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. BurntOrangeLH

These are the guys who bought in and stayed the whole way. That is what counts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. BurntOrangeLH

I think in a way it was. No matter the adversity, I cannot say these team ever quit in a game. They kept getting back up giving good effort.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Why is it so common a belief that no one is capable of stepping up to replace the senior leadership that's leaving? Considering the outcome of the season I'm not concerned at all about seeing who steps up next year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

I like all those guys that are seniors with the strong leadership. But how many do you think will be drafted in the lst round of the NFL draft?

When we start loading the NFL up with Texas players is when you know we’ve been elite again. And that’s going to be 3-4 years from now.