Possible coaching changes

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by easy, Nov 27, 2019.

1. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Me thinks your sarcasm meter is off.

2. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

I love money lots and lots of money.:yippee:

3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Have there been many programs where replacing many ***'t coaches has resulted in a successful turn around.
    Asking for a friend.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Well, don't know if LSU replaced anymore than OC but it sure made a difference.

• Like Like x 2
  5. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

It sounds like CDC’s meeting with TH had ultimatums which might have pushed Herman to change out both coordinators? I thought it would just be Beck. I hope Fillinger is the only Decommit left. We’ll see what the new coach announcements bring us. I just remember CS in 12/15 doing this. I’m concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I understand it to mean analysis isn't his thing and to a post he says he didn't read which contained much more than a defense of Charlie's players, padlocks on the rebuttal about Charlie's players.

Sad. But that's what we get, evidently.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

If he wants to keep his job, TH has to make some big changes ... not the least of which are within himself. Obviously that means watching another season or probably two in order to make that determination.

changing names in the staff is the easiest way to highlight change. So ... we've pandered. Sigh ... I don't advocate for TH's termination, but yeah, he's gotta do some major improving. And stop being a goofball on the sidelines.

Can't defend it and makes the outfit look ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

When Fillinger was a mid 3* was thrilled to get an offer. My how things have changed. We may still be able to get him back depending on how things go down.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

These stories about merigher are bad. How was this guy on staff this long

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  10. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'm not saying we can't have guys step up next season. I just don't think we can point to the seniors and say the failures of this season is because these guys were quitters. That is not true one bit. That was the jest of the post I originally replied to. We had some injuries, we had coaching failures, and we had a lack of talent in specific situations All of that together gave us the outcome of this season.

To say that "anyone that played from 2014-2016 for Texas was used to losing and that's a cancer that I feel is going to get cured. " is to basically lay the blame on guys that contributed a lot to the success of this program over the last 3 years. This is especially true since we won 10 games the year before with a lot more of those guys on the team.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Oh that's awesome, great athletes who were signed by Nfl teams who drafted them. And that added up to what. Losing seasons. And the ones who didn't get drafted? And won't? Apologize for Charlie all the live long day all you want, but he just got fired for losing at a lesser school, and would've set losing season records if they had let him stay. 3 winning seasons so far. When it becomes a losing season, please feel free to bring up Charlie's excellence and how he got wronged.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  12. zuckercanyon

I get it, you can't have a team with nothing but underclassmen. To be clear, not really talking about DuVernay (that would be idiotic). I'll wager that CJ will not sniff an NFL roster. He gets drafted I'll be ready to eat my hat and some crow, but I think that guy is not a gamer and gets pushed around a lot. I'll also keep pushing the 4 vs 3 star argument, and yes, hopefully one day we'll become a minor league NFL farm like Ohio State and Alabama and you add to the list. If you want to continue to go get en masse the 2 and 3 star we try harder guys, then you might as well get ready to be a TCU/Baylor/KState fan. Because that's not going to get you any conference championship rings.... or trips to the CFP, etc...

13. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

for the umpteenth time ... my problem with doing Charlie wrong isn't because I'm married to Charlie ... it's because it's OUR UT Athletic Department/Administration which did it.

perhaps that's why all we could get in 2017 was Tom Herman after the performance of the AD/Admin with CS.

14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

When you target only one candidate, only interview one candidate, and your “committee” is all in on that guy, you don’t have to worry about who else is out there.

Then there is the timing issue. Anyone that thinks this was done in December, please contact me about investing in a water front condo in Fort Hancock.

Besides, the only other two viable candidates were Fedora and Gundy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  15. zuckercanyon

ok duly noted. Still think Herman's the guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

While I agree with you on a lot of positions, I am a little confused about what AD problem you are referring to. If you are saying that Patterson et al made huge mistakes in hiring Strong and Smart, than I am in complete agreement. Both, in my opinion, are really nice guys but incompetent.

If you are saying Charlie got a raw deal by being fired, I completely disagree. Look at his next position, he has completely destroyed a good program in 3 years, same as here. Charlie got out of town a multimillionaire. I would like to get screwed by our AD is that is a raw deal.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Maybe this time we can at least avoid a very public rejection and a circumstantially-imposed late night flight to bow knees in option Cs driveway??

18. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

why does that name sound familar?

I think we can use Ogeron as a great example of the difference a coordinator can make. I take heart in that Tom has made some changes that move Texas in the right direction as a program. The strength program is so much better than what we have ever had. It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction. With all the changes we've made, it's basically like having a new coach. It's now up to Tom to pick the right assistants and to make it all work. He has bought himself a 2 year window. What he does with that time is up to him.

If Texas wins it gets recruits, period. It doesn't have to resort to taking iffy prospects, it can get guys that are both scholar and athlete.

As for CJ, his success is up to him, he can be great or he can be just another talented guy that came through the system. He has all the tools to be great, size, athletic ability, brains, great hands. If he wants to be great, he will be. He was not prepared for the NFL while at Texas, that is not on him, that is on Tom Herman and Charlie Strong. Think about it for a moment. His #1 rout he ran here was basically run a straight line and jump up and Sam will throw it up to see if you can catch it. It was frustrating to watch. There was zero creativity to try and get the ball in his hands in space. You can point to his deficiencies as a player, but understand he didn't create or call the plays, he did what he was assigned to do.

• Like Like x 1
  19. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Actually he ran two routes, go long and go 12-15 yards and come back for the first down.
    Zucker we simply disagree on CJ's ability. I think he could have been great but for injuries. But that's just my humble opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

The admin messed up hiring Patterson is what I’m saying.

we’re there really that many guffawing Strong? He did pretty well with Louisville to be a 2nd tier SEC team.

Patterson restricted Strongs being the head coach the first two years and Strong was unable to overcome that. Perhaps a Saban could, but a Saban wouldn’t have tolerated the micromanaging. Strong shouldn’t have either.

3 years is pretty short span when you’re asked to rebuild.

our 2019 record is gonna be real similar to 2016 ... soooo???

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Saban was a package deal with a real AD. Patterson would never have sniffed a paycheck if Powers hadn’t gone back on his word and humped the puppy.

• Like Like x 1
  22. zuckercanyon

Well said. I'll back off but I think the NFL will validate what I'm saying today. Surely he will get healthy enough for the combine and then it can be seen what he can do.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

One of the candidates for new defensive coordinator Morgan Scalley of Utah says he is not interested

Another possible was Jimmy Lake but he took the Washington job

Inside Texas thinks we are moving i the direction of Chris Ash ex of Rutgers and already with the team

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  24. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I know literally nothing about this guy and I am too lazy to research. Anyone with knowledge enough to speak about him?
    reactions seem kind of "meh" but what do we really know?

25. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'm good with Ash if we are not going to pursue any of the elite SEC DCs. Texas just fired a very popular former Utah State DC, probably has a lot to do with Scalley not wanting the job.

When you think about it, New Coordinators are going to be hard to pull away if they think there is no security. Then again, there is no security in any school.

The problem with getting Ash is that he isn't going to bring in elite defensive talent with him. He is going to have to be a witch of a recruiter if Texas is to win over other elite defensive talent.

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He had good Ds at tOSU - rmbr when they blasted Mariota and Oregon? That was him. Will that translate to the B12? :idk:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  27. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Also, wasn't that just for one year. Not much of a track record.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bill,

Are you saying the plethora of 4 & 5 star defensive talent isn’t going to fill the portal leaving Rutgers?

• Like Like x 1
  29. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Strong might have been awarded another year if he had gone 7-5 for one year.

As good as Strong was in so many ways, Herman is the better manager. He has more support also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He was co-DC for 2 years
    From there, he was HC at Rutgers for 4 years
    1997 Drake (GA)
    1998–1999 Drake (DC)
    2000–2001 Iowa State (GA)
    2002–2005 Iowa State (DB)
    2006 Iowa State (DB/RC)
    2007–2008 San Diego State (DB/RC)
    2009 Iowa State (DB/RC)