Possible coaching changes

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by easy, Nov 27, 2019.

1. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

So no Texas Cash Money Truck for Aranda?

I do not see that Brady has signed that low ball 4 year offer, yet.

2. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Tks for helping me out by clarifying your position, I am old.

Just a couple of corrections
    Louisville is in the ACC, not the SEC. His record at Texas in 2016 was not comparable to 2019. he was 5-7 and 3-6 including that loss to Kansas. We are 7-5 and 5-4. He did not have a winning record in any of his 3 years here. I will let you and Sabre debate the Patterson vs Strong relation, I know nothing about it. I blame Patterson for our downfall in football and basketball by hiring two incompetent coaches. We still have the basketball coach and i hope I am wrong about him, but I do not think so.

I guess we are just going to have to disagree, which is OK. I think he is a terrible head coach and will probably never get another head coaching job at a D 1 school again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

It was Patterson's job to fire Mack and hire Strong and raise ticket prices. He did his job and then was "fired". He was known for cleaning house wherever he went. And that's what he was hired to do and that's what he did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I'm beginning to think it goes beyond the AD ... like perhaps gov goodhair (and I generallly support Rick's politics) ... but his aggyness may have gotten the better of him in selecting Regents here while back ... who guide the president ... and so forth and so on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I can accept the rest ... this one? jury is still out. Manager to me includes game day decisions. Herman has made some real bone-cranium'd decisions on game day.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  6. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

As far as the DC, if we just get someone that can get the team lined up in a formation that doesn't leave half of the field uncovered, can teach the kids to make tackle and take angles that give them a chance to make tackles we are going to be a better defense.

We have talent to work with.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

8. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I’m not impressed. I don’t think Orgeron is a particularly smart guy. How he’s doing what he is doing at LSU is a mystery to me but then again, Les Miles was successful there as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Duke sometimes people are smarter than we give them credit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Obviously smarter than Mensa...

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Duke,

Don't think for a minute that Ed O has anything to do with the negotiations. Those are far above his pay grade and mental capacity

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Nash,

Orgeron & little Rickie Perry don't fall into that category.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. RTM4

RTM4 25+ Posts

Just because he sound unitelligent does not make him dumb or not smart.

Trade him for Herman in a second if I was running the show. I don't so no worries.

Glad Orlando is gone, he probably will do fine in some lesser league, just not the Big 12. Dude continued to do the same mistakes over and over and that I blame on our wonder lick (mensa) coach.......

Why did you let him?

Beck sucked, always has so adios. I see he is still on staff but as soon as those recruits sign he is gone.

• poop poop x 1
  14. BurntOrangeLH

Head Coaches today more than previously are really corporate brand managers. I think Herman has done well in that regard with CDC especially.

Strong has many desirable qualities and lots of integrity, but management was not one of them. Of course he was sabotaged right off the bat by Patterson.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. BurntOrangeLH

So glad you are not running any show. I am guessing 3rd grade was the hardest four years of your life? One must at least know how to spell in English to manage. Then comes grammar and syntax.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I'm getting a little weary with the staff turnover, though. I know assistants mature and get other jobs ... but the HC and coordinators, strength, recruiting ... those folks should be mainstays at Texas.

An OC/DC should be doing better at Texas financially than the VAAST majority of HCs ... but we can't seem to keep the top 3 intact for more than a couple of years this past decade.

Why can't we find/retain a staff which can be multi-class? IOW ... recruit and graduate more than one class ... and win championships??? (plural)

17. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Beat me to this...Thanks for bringing it up.
    As we address defense, this must be part of the discussion IMHO. Although, I do think the uniqueness of the Big12 may have become less pronounced recently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  18. BurntOrangeLH

And he was a bidnezzman known for extracting maximum revenue from the client base. Not quite what the BMD and Alums enjoyed nor expected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BurntOrangeLH

Little doubt B12 offenses are spreading to other conferences in the NFL in particular.

20. BurntOrangeLH

Good assistant coaches, especially coordinators, are going to matriculate on and become head coaches. It is a fact of life.

21. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

That is actually a pretty good resume, I actually love that he cut his teeth as a DB coach.
    Are you kidding me, if that is his whole job, I could have done that and for a 10% discount.

Keep in mind, there is no right or Wrong in play calling there is only success or failure. I don't agree with some of his choices, but that is because those choices proved to be complete failure. If they succeed we pat him on the back and say great call. I do like that Herman is willing to take risks, it shows he isn't afraid to fail, and that is very refreshing after Mack.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I've had this "discussion " with Bama guys.
    I say, all you need to know about what Saban really thought of the matchup with Texas in 09 is he immediately went out and focused on 2 things....
    1. Upgrading his DBs and secondary as a whole
    2. Adapting aspects of spread, Big12, West Coast offenses
    Been trending most places since, college and pro

23. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I believe you are on the right track about Pointy Boots, or rather, Gov "Goodhair". My general view is, an aggy is gonna aggy and Pointy Boots stymied UT programs, particularly athletics by appointing fellow aggys to the UT Board. Don't want any folks from other schools involved, only UT grads, maybe grads from the UT system, but especially not aggys. They have their own schools and system to mess up and seem to be doing that quite well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

How could no one expect it when it was (supposedly) widely known that was his wheelhouse?

25. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Perry pretty much embodies everything about Aggie I don’t like. He lacks intelligence, is an empty suit, is obsessed with how he presents himself but has little substance, is not quick on his feet, is a rah rah phony, and so on...

But some in our society (too many) elect style over substance and I assume that is why he ended up in the Governor’s house.

26. BurntOrangeLH

Let me clarify that a bit. By better corporate manager, I mean all the other non-football things that go about to supporting the program. As to game decisions, I'm not so sure about those . But at least I somewhat understand what his philosophy is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. BurntOrangeLH

Slick Rick Perry's main goal was to divert revenue from UT to A&M. He saw no value in UT as an Educational Institution but saw a lot of value in the corps at A&M and their fancy boots.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  28. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

this is a good point.

But for a guy who "goes with the numbers" in a presser/otherwise public statement ... his actions are to take the "odd" way very often.

Dance with who brung ya ...

but I'm still trying to figure out "who brung." What IS this guy's philosophy regarding football?

29. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I could deal with the facts of life if we were winning championships. When we have a record like we do in 2019 ... victories which were by the skin of our teeth to the bottom dwellers ... changing staff isn't a good thing. It means we have problems, not that a coach is getting promoted.

30. BurntOrangeLH

What? So Orgeron has kompromat?