Possible New Role for Heard?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by NBHorn7, Apr 28, 2016.

1. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

It's an interesting concept, but I would think they would need to still keep him up to speed as a quarterback. Quarterback injuries are always lurking around the corner, as we have seen over the course of a full college season.

I would think that the roles of starter, backup, and third string at quarterback might have to be established, before this is a consideration. Still Heard could be given a package of plays that he could be used in the slot, at times. It's something for the coaching staff to ponder.

It's odd how Manny Diaz keeps popping up in stories about Texas.

Inside the Gameplan: Heard's future - Inside Texas

2. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'd certainly be open to looking at it. I'm a little concerned about him taking safety shots over the middle, but I think if you used him in the bubble screen game (and blocked it... yeah, novel concept), he could really be good. Just don't know if he can catch.

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

How about this - Burt and Johnson wide; Heard slot; and Swoops H (TE). On the snap Heard and Swoops take two steps back which will have the LB's and safety's screaming screen/lateral pass, but hesitating - that hesitation would be the killer for the defense.

4. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I think we have other guys, receivers, who will do fine at the slot position. And have been playing it throughout their careers: high school, college.

I think Heard and Texas football are best served by Heard working his *** off to help us at the QB position. And the guys who have been working at receiver, have been honing skills there, to work their asses off to improve at that position. Just my two cents.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

I agree with caryhorn in that there are probably better options at WR on the team already. Also, it would be risky to move Heard away from QB after seeing what happened to Baylor last year when all of their QB's went down with injury.

However, if Heard ultimately gets passed up at the QB position, he might be able to carve out a roll similar to Russell Shepard, the all star QB from Texas who went to LSU hoping to be a QB. He ended up playing both at RB and WR. I don't think he was ever elite at either position but he is now going into his 3rd or 4th year in the NFL as a special teams guy.

6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yes, it's the called the 10 yard minimum offense.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Maybe he still can be the guy we saw against Cal?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Agree with Caryhorn. Interesting concept. But we may need him to play QB and we have plenty of better options at WR.
    Last time we had this at Texas was John Chiles, but he was a WR in HS. Can Heard run routes and catch? Dunno.
    Also who is Ian Boyd and why do we are what he thinks? Oh yeah, the off-season.

9. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

The back up QB is one play away from being the starter.

How long since a TX QB played the entire 12 game season?

• Like Like x 2
  10. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

+1. Here's the final drive, no timeouts. (Disregard the PAT kick :smile1:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Right now he is the third QB. He will stay there until he makes a major improvement in his passing game. Next season he could well be behind a true sophomore and a true freshman.

12. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Agreed, but we still have 13 games to play.

13. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Your Play with Heard in the Slot and Swoopes at the H back is no good....missing the vital ingredient.......How could a pro like you over look something so needed........you need to turn in your HornFans card now!!!!! You forgot the Ole' Head Fake!!!!!!!! works everytime.....

• Like Like x 2
  14. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I believe the last Texas QB to Start every game in a season was Colt? 2009? I don't think Gilbert started every game in 10?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Heard is a terrific athlete and a speedster -- can run with this team's best wide receivers and cornerbacks. Similar athlete, Braxton Miller, is going to be drafted in the NFL as a wide receiver after spending most of his Ohio State career as QB.

It depends upon what Heard wants. As has been pointed out, he'll have to compete with good athletes at those positions to get playing time, but with 2-4 on the field every play and lots of rotation, I wouldn't bet against him as wide receiver, if he wants to do that.

16. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Painful flash back