Post game Oregon thoughts...

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by EJC+1, Nov 26, 2008.

1. EJC+1

EJC+1 250+ Posts

Solid win for us although both teams looked fatigued which resulted in lots of sloppy play, missed shots and missed FT's.

Thoughts...
    (bad first)

1) Our team looks confused on offense. Lots of standing around at times, little movement, and sloppy passing. When we start to sub, not everyone is one the same page.

2) I'm finally willing to admit that AJ running the point is a failed experiment. He's just not strong enough to do the things that Barnes wants out of his PG's...that is...take it to the hole, score, or draw fouls.

3) Chapman & Pittman just need to keep working and improving. For as much as we hear about them, they still haven't broken out yet. Both just need to keep working on their rebounding and defense first and foremost. Any offense we get out of them is will be a bonus in my mind.

4) I knew better than to drink the koolaid regarding with Dogus Balbay. He may be a player for us eventually, but he needs time to learn his role in the offense and understand how to run the team effectively.

Good things...

1) Mason was great today. Did everything a player could do. Looks like Mason is going to be the answer this year at point.

2) Damion James finally settled down and played to all of his strengths....transition, garbage buckets, and making open shots. Didn't try to over do it like yesterday

3) AJ also played much more within himself although he was still 4-11 from the field. Defensively speaking, AJ was terrible at times although alot of other guys were missing some assignments as well....fatigue???

4) Gary Johnson is my new favorite player. Guy is really coming into his own...works harder than anyone on the court.

In order for Texas to make a deep run in the NCAA's and win the Big 12, they must get their issues fixed on the offensive end. They've gotta find the right offensive chemistry, figure out what kind of team they are going to be, and then execute it properly. Past 2 games, we've done a better job of getting the ball inside...Pittman and Johnson look like our best bets at an inside post game.

2. HatDaddy

HatDaddy 1,000+ Posts

The big guys could have learned a lesson from Harangody last night. He doesn't slack at any time during a game and hustles ALL the time. Sometimes it seems like Dex is content just making it to the lower block before the shot clock expires..

3. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I can't remember which of the announcers made the comment during the St. Joseph's game that Barnes considered Chapman his best big man. That certainly raised my eyebrows. Chapman definitely has potential, but right now on defense he looks like a flapping gooney bird trying to take off, makes poor decisions on both ends of the court and quite often appears to be stuck in mud. And I think his bad habits are rubbing off on Atchley.

4. hoopdoc

hoopdoc < 25 Posts

Barnes' teams generally based on a good point who can penetrate and dish to a big man. Years without a point look like ... today. Rick has surprised me before with offensive development, I look for him to do the same this year. I wish he would end the AJ at point fiasco asap. It needs to be Mason as Balbay (hopefully) develops/proves he can play in this environment. Balbay's skill set is less that I had anticipated.

5. iluvthisbbteam

iluvthisbbteam 100+ Posts

I was shocked too when I heard the announcer comment about Barnes considering Chapman his best big man...WHAT???? [​IMG]

6. dahobbs

dahobbs 100+ Posts

I'm shocked anyone wants to see Balbay at point... he can't make a layup, can't shoot, and turns the ball over a ton. How is he a point guard? His defense is great, I love it, but until he starts to do ANYTHING on the offense side of the game, his minutes should be severely limited. Mason could easily be our point guard if he could just play more consistently. He has a decent jump shot, can drive (even though I don't think he knows it sometimes), and is a pretty good passer. He just randomly has trouble controlling the ball, and is VERY streaky as a shooter. Until someone else on this team shows they can make any type of jump shot with consistency, AJ isn't going to be getting any looks.

7. Rayug

Rayug 100+ Posts

Anyone else catch what seemed to be Barnes yelling at some of his players?

One time I swear I could hear him yelling at Mason to "take it!" i.e. drive to the hole as they had isolated him on a player and he seemed somewhat reluctant. He did eventually drive to the hole and got a good result. (Foul I believe) It seems Barnes is/was really trying to get more aggressiveness out of Mason.

Another time Atchley came to the top of the key to set a pick for Abrams, and you can hear Barnes clearly yelling him to get out of there. Kinda funny, but one of the commentators talked about Barnes coaching with the future in mind and I think there is a lot of truth to that watching the 3 games.

8. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

9. ptrain37

ptrain37 25+ Posts

I would like to see more of Varez Ward.

Thank You, I'll hang up and listen.

10. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

I missed the St. Joe's game, but in the last two, Justin Mason has been our best player.

11. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

We are in serious trouble this year.

{I just wrote a lengthy of explanation of why I think that, but my computer made it disappear and it isn't worth typing twice}

12. TexanWolv

TexanWolv 1,000+ Posts

You've learned a valuable lesson, Stuck....Always copy long post before hitting enter.

As I said in the chat room the mantra of this year should be "More Mason". Everyone needs signs at the games saying "More Mason".

13. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

Mason is the answer at PG right now. He needs to remember he is allowed to drive and take it to the rack. This will help open the court up so AJ will have some open looks and shoot a better percentage. Also, Gary Johnson needs to start. He looks real good. His mid range jumper is really coming along. Balbay has the skills but looks timid and rusty. Varez to me does not look like he plays D well enough which will result in less PT. What is wrong with Connor? If Dex can stay outta foul trouble he could do some good things

14. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

it very well could be (prob is) early season rust/unfamiliarity with each other, but this team is very difficult to even watch right now. seems like nobody really knows their roles. if theres one thing that gives me hope, barnes won the conference with chris mccolpin getting serious PT and a total of 7 scholarship players a 'few' yrs back. if there's somebody that can right things, its barnes.

the thing on barnes/chapman, i believe chap was going to either be a starter or at least first big off the bench last year til he got hurt. barnes loves the guy.

15. hoopdoc

hoopdoc < 25 Posts

Yes to Bluto. Barnes has surprised me enough years to allow me to sit back and watch him arrange the pieces. But this will be one of the non-true -point-guard years. Mason at point = best but not ideal option.

16. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

I think Dogus could turn into a pretty decent point guard. Yeah, he had a couple of hickups, but it's obvious he can play. And, I don't think we recruited a true PG for next year anyway, so we have to dael with it.