Post Right Wing looniness here

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Seattle Husker, May 27, 2021.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Interesting. Good idea?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Hell no. We should be doing the opposite and repealing the 17th Amendment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I agree
    He is only doing it to try to thwart Newsome

5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's stupid to pass a constitutional amendment to thwart one guy on a short term move, and frankly, I don't understand the point. Is Newsom appoints a senator to fill an unexpired term, will he really choose worse than the people of California will? I see no evidence of that - not because he would choose well but because they've habitually chosen crap for decades.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

If it wasn't for corruption to an absurd level in Montana around a century ago, States would still pick their Senators via their State Legislatures.

It was an over-reaction that weakened States. Woodrow Wilson (President at the time of ratification) is the great godfather of all progressives; he's been the #1 reason we have the "progressive" movement. And many of the powers-that-be put him on a pedestal. UT literally put a stone image of him on a stone pedestal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
  7. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Corruption is a part of politics. Attempts to remove it will most likely lead to more of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Many on the Right view LBJ, FDR, or Obama as the worst president. They weren't. Wilson was.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It depends. If the attempt is prosecuting lawbreakers more evenhandedly and consistently, then it's a good thing. If it's making more laws, it almost always makes matters worse. It's why I despise what is often called "campaign finance reform." All such efforts really do is help to conceal the real sources of political money. I'd much rather George Soros just write out 7-figure checks than see him donate to donate to shell organizations that hide or falsely finish his role.

10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

In some ways, he was a big unifier (long) after the Civil War. But the vast majority of "progressive" things in government today have their roots in Woodrow Wilson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

He was, almost without question, the most transformative President with regard to the federal government--from the Founding Fathers' vision to what it is today.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  13. Facing Addiction

Facing Addiction 1,000+ Posts

I had a friend who was working to convert bathrooms on the UT campus to all gender. They designed them so the stalls were open on top and didn't go all the way to the floor. I'm guessing it was about 0 seconds after opening they were changing them back.....

14. Facing Addiction

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Put the urinals on the floor

1) men will be able to hit them

2) it will be fun watching women try to use them

Direct election of Senators has been a disaster. The state legislators did a better job

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I could get on board with a repeal of the 17th amendment if there was a federal law about redistricting.

17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

What kind of federal law on redistricting?

18. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

OK, so maybe more of a constitutional amendment on redistricting :smokin:

I think that HoR seats and state legislature seats should be subject to the same redistricting rules throughout the entire country. I get that this violates state law. Which is why a federal law wouldn't go far enough.

19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I assume by "redistricting," you mean gerrymandering. I despise gerrymandering no matter who's doing it. However, when I hear people talk about bans on gerrymandering, the first question in my mind is how you're going to define gerrymandering so that any such ban or restriction can be applied consistently and objectively rather than arbitrarily and subjectively. In the '70s commentators complained that obscenity was too hard to define. This is much harder.

I read the so-called "Freedom to Vote Act," which contains an anti-gerrymandering provision. It is so full of wiggle room and vague, arbitrary language that you'd effectively be transferring the power of redistricting from the states to the Supreme Court. Every map would be litigated, and raw, partisan judicial power would determine congressional districts according to their standards of "fairness."

I'm not saying gerrymandering isn't bad. It is, but it's a little like campaign finance reform. The alleged "cure" is often worse than the disease.

20. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I'd go to what Canada and a couple of European countries do. Each state gets a judge, 1 person nominated by the majority party, and 1 person nominated by the minority party. Judge doesn't get any strikes but each party nominee does. Not sure how many strikes would be needed at the moment. Agreed-upon number of citizens per district. Can't deviate from it by x%.

If the judge is a Democrat shill and the GOP nominee is out of strikes, then tough ****, but it's still preferable to the one-sided mess we have right now. Some of the framework of this is already on the books in several states.

21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That still leaves a lot of room for game-playing. Who selects the judge? California has a supposedly nonpartisan system, and it largely protects Democratic incumbents like a partisan system does.

22. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think Washington (state) has something on the books about not protecting incumbents. So do a couple conservative states. Can't think of which states right now, but a handful make it veto-proof from the governor as well.

I think the judges are in a pool and can't panel the district they're from. I know there's still a lot of gamesmanship and gray area at play, but I still think it's better than letting a majority party just do whatever, forever.

Regarding the 17th, I think it makes sense for a state legislature to do the appointing IF the state legislature isn't choosing its own constituents. So I think it's important the panel not have any elected officials. That's how Canada does it, although the vast majority of those people have some public service experience.

If we want to go all nutso on the system, I think using RCV and having multi-member districts would all but eliminate gerrymandering at the HoR level. So a state like Florida could take their 28 districts, turn it into 7 districts with 4 elected members each, and then just RCV it to kingdom come.

23. Facing Addiction

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Hot Hot x 1
  24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Washington does have some nice-sounding rules, but again, there's so much room for subjectivity and interpretation that they're pretty meaningless. The big thing that makes their system work better than most is the process. The Redistricting Commission has to have 2 Republicans, 2 Democrats, and a non-voting member chosen by the voting members. It forces consensus, at least to a point. However, even their system only yielded one truly competitive district and another GOP seat that can go Democratic if the GOP nominates an assclown (which of course, it did in 2022). Most of their incumbents are safe.

I'm not sure where this fits into Washington's system, but state court judges are almost always partisans or beholden to partisans. I would not assume they'll be fairer than legislators.

Its own constituents or its own members? If they can't choose a constituent, then they can't pick anyone from their own state. Surely that's not what you meant. If you just want to exclude legislators from picking their own, that's fine. I wouldn't have a problem with something like that.

Not too bad. I'm not sure that it would get rid of gerrymandering. I think mapmakers would still try to make the districts favorable to them. However, it would certainly make it easier for others outside the party to score victories and have a seat at the table. You'd have to repeal the Uniform Congressional District Act. You could also require some at-large districts and just take the redistricting game at least in part off the table.

25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

What about Harry Dicks? Asking for a friend.

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

27. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

28. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  29. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Those Muslims don’t take no s***.

30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I wonder if stories like this and the story about Muslims that objected to sexually explicit material being in schools being called bigots will give Muslims pause on their future vote?