Post Right Wing looniness here

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Seattle Husker, May 27, 2021.

1. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Phone records of intelligence committee and their families, including a minor child. That’s way bigger than my **** Nixon did.

2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Not necessarily. Again, wait on the facts to come out. Keep in mind that subpoenas don't just get pulled out of someone's ***. There's court involvement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Is there a good reason to view a kids phone records?

4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

There could be, sure. It depends on the facts. Did you care that Trump's tax return was leaked? Absent a court order or authorization, that's pretty much always illegal. I respect a legal subpoena more than a criminal leak.

5. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

His taxes should have been produced 5 years ago. So, no. That’s a hero. I was shocked that the right was ok with his obfuscation of his tax records.

the “billionaires”, that’s a little different.

• WTF? WTF? x 3
    • poop poop x 1
  6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That's garbage. I agree that he should have produced his tax returns five years ago, but that has absolutely no bearing on whether it was appropriate for the return to be leaked. Zero relevance at all. It was as much of an abuse to leak his as to leak anyone's.

• Winner Winner x 3
  7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

This is the basic problem. You glorify a criminal act because someone didn't do something that the law did not require.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

And to be clear, I'm not saying Trump did nothing wrong. I'm just saying we should wait until we have the full story before rendering judgment or assuming anything. I'm just not willing to assume without evidence that I'm getting the complete picture from the same people who told me the lab leak theory was a "debunked conspiracy theory" for over a year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Is it okay if they used a FISA warrant to do so? Asking for a friend.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Not the sharpest tools in the shed obviously.

I believe Iran thinks The Onion is real news. There's a lot of bad assumptions or knee-jerk reactions out there.

12. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

I always wondered what tax returns has to do with being President of US.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

It has to do with who "owns" you and the integrity of the decisions you make. Trump is the first President to not facilitate transparency before and after the election and you know it.

14. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

How Much Is Barack Obama Worth?

Everybody knew Trump had many business interest. Guess what? Who cares. If you think Obama is more honest than Trump then there's another problem in your world view.

For instance, what do his tax returns have to do with vigorously enforcing our immigration laws?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Trump is curious. He was the "king of debt" for decades until it became more difficult for him to get money. At some point in about 2006 they migrated to using cash for their business, somewhat inexplicably. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...fe54b4-44c4-11e8-8569-26fda6b404c7_story.html

Duetche Bank was the last bank that would loan to him.

It would just be nice to know if, say, a Russian oligarch, paid $60 million for a home that was worth $30 million.

16. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

You prove my point for me. All of that with Obama is in the daylight. Trump has nothing in the daylight.

You could probably lay the financial details of The Apprentice over the top of some of these changes in how the Trump organization does business and get some insight.

17. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

So are you saying a company pays my salary they “own” me? I beg to differ.

18. Seattle Husker

For me, this is analogous to a landlord running a credit check on a potential tenant. We, the voters are going to hand over the keys to the most powerful role in the world. Transparency should be a requirement so someone with ambitions for POTUS can't talk their way into the seat.

Background checks are standard fare for any employer now. The tax returns are the closest we can get to a background check that can be shared with ~150M voters.

Tax Returns are the best way to cut through all the ******** to see if the candidate really puts their money where their mouth is.

Do they give to charity? Which charities? Where is their income coming from? What's their financial integrity look like? Lot's of information can be gleaned that is more valuable than a campaign speech.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  19. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

If you're buying properties with cash that you seem to have come up with under dubious circumstances you might need to validate that the source of your resources were appropriate if you were to run for public office. The banks will validate the source to some extent for the general public. Public office comes with a duty that all Presidents have met until 2017.

20. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

One of which got shagged by a likely Chinese spy

The other, it wouldn't surprise me if it was warranted as well given his rhetoric and lies

Doubt the DOJ does anything with dems in power. See> Hunter Biden

21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Husker is right. The returns are the public's financial background check on the candidate. Also, Trump said he would make them public. Candidates should keep their word. Like I said above, leaking someone's return illegally is never ok, but there never should have been anything to leak, because they should have been made public.

22. Seattle Husker

I'd agree that the leak of the tax returns is not OK if they came from the IRS directly. In Trump's case it's not clear where they came from as other teams (Accounting firm) have the tax returns too. For those "Top 25 wealthiest individuals" that were released to Pro Publica last week, someone at the IRS needs to go to jail. Not sure if Whistleblower status is an option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Almost anybody you would give your tax returns to in a professional setting (accountants, lawyers, etc.) have a duty of confidentiality. If I had leaked a client's tax returns, I would have gotten canned, gotten sued, and I would have at least been at risk of getting disbarred.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Seattle Husker

Agreed. Remember that the CFO's son has a bitter divorced wife claiming to have lots of info. Not saying she leaked the tax returns but she claims to have boxes of financial documents that she turned over to prosecutors. This is the idiot son making $250k/yr plus lavish bonuses to run an ice skating rink in Times Square.

• Like Like x 1
  25. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I was being half smart assed when I said "hero". Half. :)

I agree that there is assumed confidentiality to some extent.

26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

So if your lawyer breached his duty of confidentiality to you, you'd be satisfied if he said, "hey, you just assumed confidentiality, and you know what happens when you assume."

27. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, that's it.

I am biased. Hell, at least I can admit it. I wish some hero would release ALL of his and his family's taxes. Couldn't happen to any nicer people on the planet.

28. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Russia, if you're listening, find those taxes. I would pay towards the legal fees on any such heros.

29. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I want to see Fauci's taxes while y'all are rounding them up.

30. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I'm OK with that. Let's do Schumer and McConnell while we're at it.