Post-Trump GOP

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by BrntOrngStmpeDe, Jan 25, 2021.

1. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

:bow::fire::trophy::lol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

One way to not do this (win elections) is to be so focused on the past in order for one guy to save face, that you convince your base to stay home. There are several things that I'd like to see happen to make elections more secure however repeated failed audits and court cases do very little to support "secure". What they do is give ever more fodder for the part of Trump's fanbase to cry "fraud". And when they think "Fraud", they think "why bother".

If there is one place in our institutions that we should prize correct and complete over easy and cheap, it is our elections. Texas managed to get voter security measures in place even before an audit, so and audit is not the cornerstone to addressing these issues. Having conservatives elected is the cornerstone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

My only point is that the election security measures may not address the real problems if you don't know what is going on.

States may need to change the computer/software systems they are using in toto.

4. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

this ******** trump is so focused on himself that he is undermining a sitting GOP gov in GA. He is a piece of crap and continues to show that the only thing that matters to Trump is Trump. It is past time to ditch this shitshow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Yeah, I saw his comment on Stacey Abrams being better than Brian Kemp just because Kemp wouldn't do his bidding. Pathetic. He has cost us massively in Georgia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Trump's hour is gone to me, but I never was a fan.

7. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

He's not gone, just consolidating his power for another 2024 run. He's purging the party of integrity and conservative values so they aren't a distraction in the next election.

8. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

If I were a liberal/ dem I'd be a whole lot more concerned with the current Biden shitshow and the carnage left behind it. You could run a chimp against Biden right now and win easily

I'd feel a lot better about the country if people like you and BlueAnonBubba held Biden accountable for the mess we're in and the failures of his decisions / policies. But you guys seem focused solely on the orange man.

Trump is going to be seen as too old for most conservatives. His 4 years were great, but the baton is being passed

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

You think Trump is running too, huh? :p

Like you held Trump accountable? Just because I don't join the Biden whining doesn't mean I support his decisions nor all his policies. Why would I join you when for some insane reason y'all want to hang every decision around Bubba and I's neck as if we made the decision ourselves? To Biden and his admin I simply say "do better, spend less".

10. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Agreed. His age will be a deciding factor. I can see Trump being the kingmaker in the Convention - but not the nominee.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

He is still doing things but I think his window to get elected has passed. He didn't beat Biden. Rs need to move on. There is a way better candidate out there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Horn2RunAgain

Yes, I held Trump accountable. The economy was the best I've seen in my life. Peace and prosperity. Wish we had that back to be honest

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Unless Trump has a significant health setback, he will run and will be the nominee. I hate to admit that, but it's almost surely true.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Anyone who doesn't believe that hasn't been paying attention the last decade.

15. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

This is true. Very true. But it won't happen. He's spent the last 8 months solidifying his standing with the base.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Huh? He held a vacancy longer than an ethical person would to impact the presidential election. Shrewd move and I think had way more impact on the election that Bill Clinton or the Russkies. Then, a few years later, did the exact opposite on a Josh Heupel offense timetrack. The Dems would have simply seated a justice in both scenarios.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'll attack the Biden Administration all day long. I think it has been terrible on several fronts. However, I think it's silly to expect Husker and Switzer to dish out some big mea culpa and self-flagellate for not voting for Trump. The pre-Covid Trump economy was strong, but we enacted some of the most fiscally irresponsible policies in recent memory. That record isn't anything to be proud of or to shame others about.

18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

No, they wouldn't have. Supreme Court appointments have been a blood sport for Democrats for decades. I'm not defending the double standard. It does exist, but Democrats aren't more righteous on the issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

They would NOT have held out a vacancy that long and they WOULD have filled one in the lame duck period. Do you disagree?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Yes, I disagree. They would have applied the Biden Rule on the earlier pick, and they would have flip-flopped or rationalized four years later like McConnell did. This **** is a blood sport. Your side started playing it with Bork. McConnell played it too.

It's not supposed to be that way, but when one side thinks the Court is supposed to be an unaccountable super-legislature, the stakes get extremely high. It's bad, and it's dangerous. But that's where we are.

21. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

PolitiFact - In Context: The 'Biden Rule' on Supreme Court nominations in an election year

Very disingenuous to credit Biden with a rule that was NOTHING like what McConnell did.

A. It was almost 4 months later in the cycle - June 25, effectively 4 months before the election. Scalia passed almost 8 months before the election.
    B. There was no, you know, ACTUAL VACANCY. So, a moot point.
    C. He mentioned after the election, not after the inauguration.

H/T to McConnell. I know a lot of Christian women voted for the ***** grabber due to the pro-life impact. Ironic, that.

22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

So? That's not a big difference.

If it was so moot, then why was Biden even addressing the issue? The reason is that he was anticipating a possible vacancy - probably Byron White.

I think people knew what he meant regardless of his exact words. They weren't going to confirm a defeated an opposing President's nominee in a lame duck session. Zero chance.

Either way, the issue isn't what Biden said or meant in 1992. It's what Charles Schumer would have done if given the chance that McConnell had.

You act as though Democrats are these high-minded statesmen when it comes to Supreme Court vacancies, and I have no idea where you get that impression. Look at Bork, Thomas, and Kavanaugh. They basically threw **** on their faces. And need I mention that they've twice threatened to pack the Court to intimidate it into submitting to them? That is 100 times worse than McConnell having a double standard. You might mention that the first attempt failed, bit it actually didn't. They didn't get to pack the Court, but they didn't need to, because one of the justices gave in to them (the "switch in time that saved 9"). You make the Democrats sound like Mother Theresa on the Court, when they're more like Carlo Gambino.

You complain about that, but why does your side put them in that position? Stop nominating tyrants who don't believe in the rule of law to the Supreme Court, and it gets a lot easier to ditch Trump.

23. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

They're more like Charlie Strong than Carlo Gambino. And packing the Court was just smack talk. No one was serious about it.

24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Ask Owen Robert if it was just smack talk.

25. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
  26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  27. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

4-1 is a good first half of the season. Owen J. Roberts is back baby!

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. Horn2RunAgain

No one is expecting that. What many of us are expecting is a defense of Biden's many failures. That hasn't even been approached

The Biden Accountability thread hasn't had a post from a dem/ lib in what, about a month? Hell, at least address the failures and problems. We did with Trump

29. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

FDR would have packed the court if the Supreme Court would have struck down the New Deal as they were threatening to do.

The fact that they backed down is truly one of the greatest examples of cowardice in American political history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It really was, but they were of course under tremendous pressure to cave. The media obviously sided mostly with FDR. (The justices who resisted were called "the Four Horsemen," as in the apocalypse.) They also knew that though FDR didn't have the votes to do it, there was a point at which he would if they kept fighting him. Obviously Democrats controlled Congress and mostly supported the New Deal, and though they didn't want to pack the Court, their opposition wasn't absolute.