Post-Trump GOP

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by BrntOrngStmpeDe, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Lots of people who throw around phrases like "threat to democracy" think unelected administrative agencies and federal judges should decide the most controversial issues in the country. In other words, they don't believe in democracy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of Trump. My issue with Trump is that I think POTUS should be a leader and not just a "Commander". I personally think DJT took one of those titles to heart a little more than he should have. While being POTUS comes with a great deal of power to steer the ship. By design, it does not come with the "Commander of the Country" title that he seems to want to act with. Leading means bringing people along with you in a direction. This is different than commanding. He still hasn't learned the difference in my opinion.

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

4. BrntOrngStmpeDe

yep. never understood why so many states use "postmark on or before day of election" as the cutoff. by the time you figure out something was wrong, it is too late to fix it correctly. Also why I'm not a fan of mail-in except for proven needs (out of country, severely physically handicapped). And even then, these folks should have to postmark at least 10 days prior to election day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I think those people should be able to have their votes counted if received in time, as long as it was postmarked. If you want to make sure your vote is counted get it in earlier.

6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

If you want to make sure your vote is counted, get your *** to the polling place in person.

There are very, very few voters who are truly unable to reach a polling place. There are a whole lot of them who dislike being mildly inconvenienced by having to do so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Or drop it off in an approved location.

8. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Oddly, my mom was the county election board secretary for a decade or so. People would forget to mail their ballot and bring them in and she would walk them over to the post office to get it postmarked as you can't hand deliver an absentee ballot here. Seemed silly to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BrntOrngStmpeDe

well now we have Perdue in the GA Gov race largely due to dumbass DJT. DJT and his big dumb mouth have done it again. instead of a clean path, now whoever the GOP rep is will have to duke it out creating all kinds of fodder for the left and using up valuable funds to boot.

" ... Of course having her, I think, might be better than having your existing governor, if you want to know what I think. Might very well be better."

10. BrntOrngStmpeDe

dipstick Don is at again....

"Mitch McConnell’s a disaster. The Republicans have to get a new leader," he said

A circular firing squad is the last thing we need. DJT is still trying to find people he can pin the GA loss on.

Can we just pre-nominate Desantis, or Haley now?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I hate circular firing squads but I'll attack Trump at every opportunity.:p

12. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

Fine. Could you elaborate?

Jobless claims across all racial, sexual and economic groups hit all time lows.
    Record low unemployment.
    Energy independence in more than 50 years.
    Manufacturing and construction jobs started coming back to America.
    Illegal immigration dropped. Look at what is happening now.
    Operation Warpspeed for Coronavirus for which Joe Biden took credit.
    Restricting travel from China is Xenopxibic but President Biden stopping travel fronmeith African countries is Ok?
    NAFTA ended and replaced with US-Mexica-Canada Agreement (USMCA)
    Negotiated peace agreements with UAE, Bahrain, Sudan and Israel.

The Lincoln Project says Hello.

I really hope that my sarcasm meter is broken.

13. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Sarcasm, bud. I'm making fun of the RINOs and their hypocrisy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

Could you recommend a good sarcasm meter repair shop? :smile1: Mine is obviously broken. :confused2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I can't help ya. Mine's broken too I'm afraid.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

He's making fun of people like me. :smokin:

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  17. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

You know, they say admitting to it is the first step to recovery.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BrntOrngStmpeDe

• Like Like x 1
  19. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

Perhaps, but you need to consider the source - msn.com and others are not Trump friendly and will post anything to put him in a bad light. Right now, I am focused on 2022.

20. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

It's also a poll released by John Bolton's Super Pac.

21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The perceived need for trump goes down if GOP sweeps 2022. Trump is wisely waiting till after 2022 to determine if he wants to run or support DeSantis. Trump’s current strategy keeps the heat of DeSantis.

22. utahorn

utahorn 500+ Posts

Could someone shed some light on the rift between Bolton and Trump? I thought he was a Trump supporter at one time.

23. BrntOrngStmpeDe

I think you meant "off" so I'll proceed under that belief.

I don't think Trump is doing what he is doing out of a pro-DeSantis strategy or the kindness of his heart. It may indeed keep the heat off DeSantis because with DJT still in the picture, he is still going to be the biggest Dem boogeyman and click-bait.

DJT lost GA for us and continues to hammer GA officials so he has someone else to lay the blame on. Increasingly he is a liability in any race that is not already reliably Red. The only thing he has done since leaving office is attempt revenge. We can do without that for the GOP. If DJT does manage to eek out the primary win and becomes the GOP candidate we will likely lose to one of the weakest Dem Presidents in history....and then that will be on DJT's resume. If you ask me, the prospect of losing twice to Biden, and the dent that will put in DJT's ego will be the deciding factor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Both of them butted heads while Bolton worked for Trump. Trump let him go and Bolton didn't take it well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I agree that he'd almost surely lose to Biden or even Willie Brown's ex-mistress. However, even putting aside possible biases related to John Bolton's people doing the poll, I'm not sure it says that much. (Side note - one thing that would be funny about a Trump v. Harris race is that Trump would have the audacity to play the Willie Brown card. He might even bring Willie Brown to the debates like he brought Paula Jones, Juanita Broaddrick, and Kathleen Willey in '16 - make him look like the scorned lover. It would make a mockery of the process, but it would be funny.)

It still puts Trump at 36 percent - ahead of everyone else, and keep in mind that he never had majority support in the '16 nomination process. He just had a plurality, and that was good enough to get the delegates he needed to win the nomination. Another thing that worries me is that in a hypothetical race between Trump and Desantis, Trump has gained strength since September, when the two were basically tied.

Though Desantis would be my choice, I suspect that Trump will run (unless he has a major health problem between now and then) and that if he does, he'll win the nomination again for the same reason he won it in '16. The anti-Trump vote will be divided again. "Trumpish" voters will like Desantis and would choose him for VP, but they won't choose him for the top gig if they can have the real thing.

The best hope is that Desantis is the only major candidate besides Trump. If that happens, then the anti-Trump voters will unify behind him along with the base he already has, and that could be enough if he runs a perfect campaign. But for that to happen, guys like Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Chris Christie, Rand Paul, and overtly moderate/establishment types need to stay out. And of course, Trump would have to avoid running third party if he is denied the nomination, which is a whole different potential problem.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Nothing drives liberals to the polls more than Trump as the R nominee. And Trump running 3rd party would be a disaster. Camel could win in that scenario.

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I am sure that you mom was doing the "right" thing, but I take issue with this. How do we know that every election board secretary would take ALL of the ballots over to be postmarked versus just the ones they WANT to count? This works both ways depending on which side of the political spectrum they are on.

As Sangre mentioned earlier, just get you *** down and vote. I am all for making election day a holiday. I think absentee and mail in ballots should be very very limited.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

The move by BOTH parties away from Biden (or Hillary) and Trump HAS to occur. The reality is that the days of a 70+ individual being elected have gone by the wayside given what we see on display right now. And we saw in real time what the stress did to a 'younger' office-holder just by looking at Obama when he took office versus when he left...you cannot convince me he got grey just by seeing tuition bills for the kids in private school.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

The conservative campaigns are still trying to divide by pro-Trump and more-pro-Trump. I'm seeing ads locally for some positions with people in office that are generally conservative and help the State of Texas, but because they are not rabidly posting about Trump at every turn, somehow they must be voted out of office.

This is NOT what Republicans need...that allows the idiot Dems to win through the divide and conquer strategies and further continue the ruination of the Great State of Texas and the United States...

30. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

There's a first time for everything...@mb227 and I agree. Just proves that you can find common ground somewhere with everyone.