Post-truth...fake news and "Pizzagate"

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Seattle Husker, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

There has been a lot of conversation about fake news in the media. "Post-truth" and "fake news" go hand in hand and they appeal to emotions rather than facts. Another example of words DO have meaning occurred at Comet Ping Pong Pizza in the D.C. area over the weekend. Some vigilante consumed some fake news that stated HRC was coordinating a pedophilia ring out of this restaurant. So, average ignorant joe reads this and decides he needs to grab his shotgun and go personally investigate it. Fortunately, nobody was injured other than the floor from his discharging a shell into it.

So, who would be so dumb as to advance crazy conspiracy theories like this?

Well, here is a tweet by the son of our future National Security Advisor. BTW- The DC police have tied this gentleman and his gun to the conspiracy theory that Michael Flynn Jr. infers should be believed until disproven.

2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

My Lord how far we have fallen...............from sanity

• Like Like x 1
  3. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

After this election I think it's fair to say that CNN = Fake News. They are more of an extension of the democratic party than a news agency.

4. Seattle Husker

They've taken the strategy of choosing a side, like Foxnews. As Joe Fan points out with his consistent posting of ratings, there isn't enough money in the neutral news space.

5. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Until there are leaked emails showing Fox News aided and are implicated with the Republican Party with an election. Such as helping with giving debate questions in advance, having the party doing the editing for print and all the other many things CNN were exposed of, I won't put any news organization in the same sentence as CNN...... Not even MSNBC. You seem to try to put something despicable from your party and batch it with the other party like it's the same. To put how you work in an analogy, you think a murder and someone stealing a piece of bubble gum as the same. You do this often in case you don't realize this.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Seattle Husker

Most of this is common sense but it's a good read for questioning whether you are consuming "fake news", real news or an opinion piece.

7. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I still don't understand what is "fake news". Are we talking about "The Onion" type websites or something else?

8. Seattle Husker

There has been a well-spring of sites pop up with literally fake stories whose sole intention is to get hits on a website thus advertising revenue or coming from hyperpartisan blogs. The story mentioned above about "pizzagate" is a classic example One analysis by Buzzfeed showed that fake news stories on Facebook were much more shared than real stories.

Here is a sampling some articles about the "fake news":
    1. Macendonia teen making 4-figures per month.
    2. A listing of 5 of the most shared fake news articles.
    3. A story about a guy that has 20+ domains used nearly exclusively for fake news.
    Unfortunately, sites like The Onion are clearly parody sites and intended as such. One has to laugh when some unsuspecting Facebook poster thinks they are real. Alas, the fake news stories are intended to be taken as real.

The media has lost a lot of credibility in recent years but I'm not sure filling the void with hyper-partisan sites and fake news helps correct the MSM bias.

Facebook recently reversed course and admitted that fake news in their media stream is a problem they need to combat.

9. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Thanks. Feeling better about my decision to avoid social media.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

There's always been fake news. The Soviet's raised it to an art form during the cold war. We called it propaganda back then. Unfortunately, our left leaning MSM must make Pravda proud.

11. Seattle Husker

What's sad is when the MSM get snookered into spreading the fake news. It happens. I often think the greatest tragedy in the race to disseminate news is the lack of editorial discipline.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

As a few of you probably already know, Statfor's security was breached
    Wikileaks published some of their internals from that pile
    Here is something from it on the pizza talk -- if nothing else, tends to confirm the idea that it is a codeword
    (Can click an image once to enlarge)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

good walk through of the various oddities of this story
    he could have spent an hour on this

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

reminder, this is some of the art hanging in Podesta Family homes
    if you are honest, you have to admit this stuff, at least, raises some questions

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

The reporter's invesstigation ties in with the Braverman thread. In that thread, the argument is made that child trafficking is an integral component of money laundering connected to the Clinton Foundation.

16. Seattle Husker

Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales is launching a new media site called Wikitribune. The entire premise of the platform is to crowdsource news and combat the "fake news" phenomenon. I guess Wikipedia has as much experience as any other entity at trying to route out fake entries.

https://www.wikitribune.com/

Of course, I'm not sure how they'll combat bias but they have a wealth of experience in that too.