Potato harvest

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Dionysus, May 27, 2013.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

We pulled up 110 pounds of potatoes from our garden today. Planted them January 22. The biggest one was 1.5 pounds.

[​IMG]

Tonight’s dinner, all from the garden. Baked potato, yellow squash & green beans. Mmmm veggies!

[​IMG]

2. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

Do you keep all 110 pounds for yourself?

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Yes. There are 6 people living in my house, including two young boys with big appetites, and potatoes will keep for months so I think we will go through them pretty easily.

4. salonghorn-70

Green beans and squash look pretty good. How did you fix them?

5. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Nice! I am impressed.

6. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Green beans were steamed and a little butter added. Squash was also steamed with some onions and garlic, and then mashed up a bit. I am very fortunate to have a wife who loves to cook and is good at it!

7. salonghorn-70

Sounds like a very rustic recipe. That is also the way I like vegetables. Simple, nothing fancy. Thanks for the info..

8. biganakhanhda

biganakhanhda 500+ Posts

Bad *** Dio. I must have missed the invite for dinner, don't forget me next time.

Here are a few pictures of my Mom's garden with all kind of veggies and herbs. There's nothing like going over to her house when I want to make my own Pesto. Basil and Garlic galore, tastes like the Sun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not a very big fan of the bitter melon, as it is...well...too bitter for me. But supposedly it is good for you they say.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hidden somewhere in all that foliage are Okras, Thai Eggplants, Peppers, Etc.

[​IMG]

9. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Big, you are invited for dinner. Let me know when you will be in Katy and I will have Mrs Dio work her magic.

Your mom’s garden looks terrific. You know what’s better than homemade pesto? Nothing.

We recently had some fresh pico de gallo from our garden: tomato, cilantro, onion and jalapeño. That was so good, and it got hotter after a couple days.

A few pics from our garden:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Green beans climbing the fence

[​IMG]

Onions, harvested about 25 lbs total

[​IMG]

Jalapeños

[​IMG]

Watermelons - a smaller variety, I forget the name

[​IMG]

Lettuce and Swiss chard, also have some spinach in that bed

[​IMG]

10. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

This thread solidifies in my mind what an absolute lazy *** I have been this year in the garden. Outstanding pictures.. thanks for sharing!

11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

El Sapo, my wife gets the vast majority of the credit for the garden. I mostly provide elbow grease and funding, but it really is a source of enjoyment as well as great food.

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I have the space, the sunlight and inclination for a garden but dammit, have not done it yet. I feel like crap now. Great photos.

I don't see any Lemongrass. Mix it with chicken and it's awesome. I need to kikkoman myself in the britches and get growing.

I don't know but sure hope bell peppers, specifically the orange, yellow and red ones grow in Central Texas. I buy a good amount of them in the store. I know Yellow Squash does and I eat the hell out of them too.

Snap peas and green beans would be devoured. Dammit.

13. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

l00p, we have some red, yellow and green bell peppers but this year is our first attempt with them and the results have been mixed. A few of them came along really well but others had a funk of some kind growing on them, so we’re researching that.

Yellow squash and zucchini do really well here but we had some fungus issues with a few of them too. Same for the snap peas. Live and learn. You like okra? That stuff grew like crazy last year. I like okra (breaded and fried), I don’t love it. Not like I love egg rolls.

14. biganakhanhda

biganakhanhda 500+ Posts

You should feel like crap you lazy mofo. Too lazy to visit mua when in North Texas, and now the nonexistent garden looks like a poo poo platter.

As for the lemongrass, they are there, just didn't take any pictures of them. Mint grows like like a mofo too. I and Mom often make Canh Chua and for the most part, outside of the bean sprouts and pineapples, everything else we have from the garden including Tamarind. I love Taro Stems, which is also used in Canh Chua, but the best part is digging up the Taro root, batter that shizz and deep frying it.

There are many peppers in her garden. Thai, Bells, Banana, I believe she tried Jalapenos this year as well. I also love Okra. Some of the ones she has produced in previous years were almost, not quite, as long as the anakhanhda, which is PRETTY good. Nah I mean?

The Honeydew are starting to fruit, the hardest part about growing them is, making sure the birds and squirrels do not get to them first before we do, damn pesky critters!!! [​IMG]

If only the climate here were suitable for Durian, I would grow that in a heartbeat. Oh how I love that stanky, oishii, pungent, custard, Andrew Zimmern is too big of a vag to eat, fruit.

15. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Big, we are thinking about what to do about the squirrels. We have a nice pecan tree in the back yard, and last year those varmints got every last pecan off it. Squirrels gotta eat too but that’s just rude.

16. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

17. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Dio, please get back to us what that fungus was and what maybe caused it. Was it too much water? I am curious. And was it such that you just had to cut away the area and the rest was okay or did it alter texture and flavor? Photos?

I spend the most money on Sugar Snap Peas, the bell peppers and yellow squash at the store or farmer's markets. At least of the veggies. I eat squash cut up in slices with hummus adorned with Sriracha sauce mixed in. It's amazing.

I would eat the snot out of fresh green beans, crowder peas or black eyed peas.

18. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

l00p, I don’t know what it was with the squash but the leaves had some funk and then just seemed to die off. We got a good bit of squash in the spring before this happened. If I find out any details I will certainly post it.

The sugar snap peas also produced really well for a few weeks then succumbed to something. The leaves kind of faded in color and then wilted. Green beans are hurting now, maybe it’s the heat because there doesn’t seem to be any marks of disease on the leaves. You can see the green beans on the fence to the left of the corn — it’s gotten a little puny.

Here are some shots I took this morning of the corn, watermelon and bell peppers, which are all doing pretty well in the heat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. biganakhanhda

biganakhanhda 500+ Posts

20. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Insert angry face here

21. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

Dion probably had powdery mildew on his squash. It happens pretty regular here in central Texas. Your corn looks good, but I'm not sure it's thick enough to pollinate and grow very big ears. You might have to shake the stalks to help pollinate. Putting a little vegetable oil on the top of the ear where the silk comes out can help restrict earworms. Everything else looks great. I dug my potatoes a good while back when they were small. New potatoes and green beans, just too good to describe.

22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin