pre season polls

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by centexorange, Jan 25, 2008.

1. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

Wondering if Brown does his magic and we rein in Scott if our preseason ranking would rise. Also in your opinon do you see him having that huge an impact his first year on the 40 acres. It can happen look at Ou with Petersons fresh. year. I guess theres alot of variables to throw in. First off will Mack let him run loose and secondly how quick he adjusts to the speed of the college game. If he does and you add in Jc's ablity somewhere on the field and if Colt returns to freshman form I feel our offense could be much better then in 07.. Guess the big question still lies on the defensive side of the ball.. We have the coaches in tact to do the job just hope the talent is there for them to work with. Season can't get here quick enough..

2. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

what we've seen in the past with freshmen running backs is that if they know how to block and pick up the blitz then they can play a lot. There were articles about how JC spent his senior season in HS working on learning blocking schemes and such as he wanted to be ready from Day 1. That paid off and he played a lot as a Freshman and sat down mainly due to fumbling.

All that said if Scott comes to Texas and he can learn the blocking schemes he very well could be our feature back and get 70% of the carries. If this is the case he will have a huge impact. If he can't pick up blitzes or block and McGee does then at best Scott would get 50% of the carries but probably closer to 30% or less.

I think the likelihood is that he'd be closer to 70% than 30% at the end of the year.

3. Mikeinthebox

Mikeinthebox 100+ Posts

im glad we arent ranked high. lets earn our ranking this year

4. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

Horns are the best team in the country going into '08 until somebody shows me something better. Then I'll believe it. Otherwise, nothing is stopping this juggernaut, and this juggernaut is stopping everything else.

Period. Exclamation point. No Tigers. No Buckeyes. And certainly no Trojans. And no Bulldawgs. Nothing in the Big 12 can even touch the skill and speed of this bunch. Speed. It's all about speed.

Attack for four quarters. Best players at each position. Killer mentality. I honestly hope opponents don't get hurt. Too much.

By the third home game, Bevo Blvd is going to be a madhouse.

5. bobtheking

bobtheking 100+ Posts

6. Mikeinthebox

Mikeinthebox 100+ Posts

7. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

8. Maduka

Maduka 250+ Posts

I think last year was an abnormal year when it came to teams rising and falling in the polls. You don't usually see so many teams have a chance to play for the MNC. I kind of hope that we start near the top, just because in normal years it's hard for teams to leap frog other teams to get in a position to play for the big one. This year I don't think we're fooling anyone, we don't deserve the top five, maybe even the top ten. We'll be breaking in a new starting RB and Colt is coming off of a very shaky year. I doubt the pollsters would see the acquisition of Scott as a reason to put us in the top 10. So hopefully we can really impress the pollsters in our games so we can move up.

9. Maduka

Maduka 250+ Posts

10. bobtheking

bobtheking 100+ Posts

11. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

The better we start in the rankings the less we fall if we lose to OU. Besides I think the win over a depleated Arkansas team could shoot us to the top 5. If we beat OU and Ark then we are pretty much guaranteed a BCS game even if we lose the Big 12 some how, if we start out with a decent ranking.

12. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

We better be ranked high because no team in the country drops as much as we do when we lose. Hell we dropped twice last year after a win and then on an open date.

13. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Do not underestimate the strength of Bye. If we don't beat Bye, we get beaten by Bye. That is why we dropped.