Predict The University of Texas vs Georgia Bulldogs - Sugar Bowl

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Dec 24, 2018.

1. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

IMO, this kind of crapola by entitled players is disgusting. Obviously the kid doesn’t give a D*** about his team. It’s all about him.

I know, I know... “he could get hurt and cost himself millions of dollars.” Perhaps he should have shut it down before the CC game against Bama.

2. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Texas 43

Goobers 41

Dicker the Kicker hits the winning FG as time expires.

3. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Horns 51
    Dawgs 41

4. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Probably looked at our receiving corp and said, "I can't have my draft stock go down...f**k it, I sittin' this one out."

• Hot Hot x 1
  5. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

37-21 Horns

Big XII
    Big XII
    Big XII

6. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

For your consideration Georgia averaged 39 ppg while giving up 18 ppg.

We scored 31 ppg while giving up 26 ppg.

I will predict this game will come down to how well our defense plays not whether a Thorpe award winner is playing or not. Our D has not played well against quality offenses giving up 45, 38, 42, 34 and 39 points which does not include 34 to Maryland. I think its a given the D will give up 38 points and I don't think our offense is good enough to score 39 in this game.

With that said I'll change my prediction to 38-31.

I think many of you have your hatred of the SEC blinders on and haven't looked at the data. Their offense is pretty dang good and our D performed terribly against good offenses and some not so good. If we have a 21 point lead with 10 minutes to play we might win.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I see it a bit differently. Our defensive numbers, certainly disappointing, we’re amassed against primarily Big-12 offenses, the most explosive in the country. That included OU twice and WVU. Remember also that Jones and Sterns were injured during some of the later games. So, I am cautiously optimistic that our D will fare better against GA.

The greater challenge may be on offense. What gives me hope is that Sam should be healthier than he has been since mid-season, he has had time to hon his deep throw accuracy, and the O-Line has continued to evolve. We need for the running game to show up such that GA cannot focus solely on pressuring SE. If that happens, it will open up the passing game where we may have a significant advantage, particularly given that Mr. Selfish (Deontre Brown) will not be playing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vol Horn 4 Life

And all those good offenses torched us (see scores in previous posts). Georgia has the #14 ranked offense in the country against statistically better defenses than in the Big XII. They will score 38 or more points unless the binder has something special in store. Their defense is ranked 13th vs our 52nd ranked offense. The best defense we faced all year was TCU at 26th and we barely beat them because their offense is so bad (91st). We wont be able to score 40+ points against a solid defense....maybe 30.

Not trying to be negative, just pointing out that their best defensive player skipping the game will have little bearing on the game in my opinion. The biggest factors will be if our O-line can control the game and if our defense shows up at all in the second half specifically. If both of those happen I think we have a shot. Results this year indicate otherwise and I just think this is a bad matchup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Vol, as you know, the metrics don’t always accurately predict the outcome of bowl games. Little would surprise me except a blowout with TX on the short end. While I expect a close contest, after having seen TH do the unexpected against very good teams in big games, who knows?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I am quite worried that Georgia’s oline against our dline will go very poorly for us. I am hopeful we may be able to outscore them... especially after Baylor put more points on Vanderbilt than Georgia, Notre Dame or any SEC team.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  11. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Horns 33
    UGA 31

12. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

No prediction. But if you think Georgia is showing up unmotivated think again.

13. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

UGA 31
    Texas 27

14. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

As I’ve said before, I think that the intangibles favor us.

The Sugar Bowl is a huge letdown for Georgia. For us, it represents an opportunity to show everyone that Texas belongs.

The loss of their DC can’t be a plus.

Their Thorpe winner thinks his future is more important than supporting his team.

The turmoil associated with their 5 star QB is a distraction, arguably a big one. The portal situation with Rising and Thomson is a distraction as well, but it doesn’t rise to the level of the GA situation.

We’ll see. I have rarely seen distractions overcome in a bowl game. The one glaring exception I can remember is when Lou Holtz, then HC at Arkansas, suspended three key players and still won his game in dominating fashion.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

You make good points. The way I see it is they consider not making the playoff a slap in the face. Hope you're right.

16. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Georgia 35
    Texas 24

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The toughest out of conference test for Georgia was GT (last regular season game); the remaining 3 out of conference games were Austin Peay (45-0), Middle Tenn (49-7) and UMass (66-27). I will be generous and say just throw out the non-GT out of conference games and redo the stats. Georgia is not a juggernaut. More in line with WVa.

The issue with predicting the Sugar Bowl is no one knows how "well" Sam will be. If he is 95%-100% Texas will win. If he isn't, Texas is in deep trouble. For the last time I will believe Herman isn't lying about a player's injury:

Texas - 33
    Georgia - 28

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  18. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

If our offensive line can hold up then we can win. I don't know if Calvin Anderson will be able to handle his side.

Georgia 31
    Texas 28

19. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I'm concerned about participating in this prediction competition.

If I somehow I make the incorrect prediction, I fear injury to my reputation and that my stock on HF will go down.

Therefore I'm still weighing if I will predict the game or safely sit it out. Gotta think about my family and future ya know....

:smile1:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  20. Vol Horn 4 Life

You gotta live on the edge man......take a chance....make a pick!

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I support your decision to do what’s best for you and your family’s future, but honestly I am a little disappointed at the lack of commitment to your HF teammates. We are putting it all on the line here you know.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

That man has trampled all over our venerated observences and rituals.

Now is you is or is you ain't our constituency!?

• Like Like x 1
  23. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

Tx 24
    G. 35

24. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Texas 38
    Georgia 31

25. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I was listening to an all night, national sports talk show on my way to work this morning. According to the commentator, whose name I didn't catch, Notre Dame should have been replaced with Jarjaw in the playoffs. He even went on to say that the 'Dogs would have given Clemson all they could handle and might have beaten them.

He also said that the ratings for the first round of the playoffs "tanked" and he's right (see link).
    Lopsided games, schedule drag down CFP television ratings

Anyway, we apparently shouldn't even show up to face the mighty sec,sec, sec.

I'm sure he knows what he's talking about, so my prediction: Jarjaw 111, us 11

• Like Like x 1
  26. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Too big of a talent differential.

Jorja - 41
    Texas - 23

27. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Texas 24
    Georgia 28

28. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Texas 37, Bulldogs 29.

29. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I see this as being fully explainable, as somewhat noted in the article. First, neither game was expected to be highly competitive, and they weren’t. This year we have two teams that are separated from the rest of the field. Secondly, it’s a calendar issue.

My guess is that Clemson Bama will draw pretty well. It’s hard to match 2006 USC-Texas, with the star-studded list of players and the highly anticipated matchup.

30. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I predict its gonna be VERY LOUD AT MY HOUSE TONIGHT!! Longhorn Nation Forever!!

• Like Like x 2