Presidential Debates...

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by 2003TexasGrad, Apr 14, 2020.

1. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Given how one sided the mainstream media is, and given that the DNC barred any Democratic debates on Fox, what are the chances that Trump will agree to ANY televised debates run by MSNBC, CNN, CBS, NBC, or ABC. Everyone knows all the talking heads on all those channels hates Trump and they rail against him constantly on the air....

How can there be any agreement to debate on those networks? Ive never really considered that this would be a thing, but this year I cant see how we have any televised debates that arent blatantly tainted by network bias.

2. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

3. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Agreed. The DNC refusing to have a debate on Fox News was really gutless.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

When you are the defending champ you get to chose where you defend your belt.

Trump will kill biden on any channel, and the DNC knows this. They need a loaded deck to give biden an advantage. I hope Trump doesn't give in to their BS. Keep the playing field level and steal their hearts.

I started out as a Never Trumper, now I'm a 100% never democrat.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  5. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

He could piss down his leg and his base would think he “owned the libs”. It really comes down to about a half million voters in 3-4 states. The rest is all but irrelevant.

6. 2003TexasGrad

That shows how divided this country really is. I'm seeing a lot of people begrudgingly support him but don't really want to. They know he's not a good candidate but they can't vote for Trump. I'm amazed the media has all but ignored his sexual assault allegations. Its so blatantly obvious where the media's allegiances are.

7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Biden is senile, he leads a party of Lemmings and they will vote for him if he were dead. But as most of us already know, it doesn't matter who the nominee is, it is the DNC that will run things he is just the figure head for them. The DNC as far as I'm concerned is the enemy of the Constitution of the United States.

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I would try to get Chris Wallace to moderate the debate. He's not a Trump *****, but he's a hell of a lot more honest and fair than anyone at CNN or frankly any other mainstream media outlet. Of the thousands of journalists in DC, he's one of about five that has any integrity at all.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Why not have 2 totally biased moderators? As long as both candidates get an equal amount of ****, it is fair.

As far as who broadcasts it, create a website and stream the video there. Let anyone who will pay a fee to show it too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Since Cuomo, the new darling of the left, will not be the presidential nominee many are touting Michelle Obama as VP candidate
    that could work for them

11. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Okay Deez, how about 2 moderators with a shade of bias? It is the only way to balance it in my mind. There isn't any one person both sides would be happy with, so why not give both sides a person?

12. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I want the moderators to be Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity. That would be fun.

13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If both sides get to pick somebody with no limitation, then both will pick partisan hacks. Basically, you'd get the same scenario you initially suggested. In theory, your point is valid. Both sides would get tough questions.

The problem is that there'd be tremendous pressure to ask gotcha questions rather than tough questions. To me, a tough question is an important question that the candidate has a difficult time giving a politically expedient answer. A gotcha question is one in which the question itself is the point (usually a leading question that is loaded with opinion and assumes lots of unsupported or certainly disputable facts). There is no answer the candidate can give other than one that is non-responsive to the question. We'd see a ton of that with clearly biased moderators that don't have to at least put on a pretense of objectivity.

14. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I understand what you are saying. It is better to have ethical, unbiased moderation. I too prefer tough questions to gotcha questions. I guess I don't know what is possible in today's environment.

Is there any moderator from CBS, NBC, or ABC who would put on a pretense of objectivity?

15. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

That option is not on the menu, boys.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

debates are a waste of time------they are just beauty pageants anyway, or in the case of these two, ugly pageants.

No serious discussions take place and all sides just wait for openings to throw in some sound bites for ad use.

Think about the Dem debates this year----anything useful come out of them?

Think of the GOP debates four years ago-----Trump insulting everybody in sight and casting aspersions on Ted Cruz's dad.

You guys want to continue this charade?

We know what we like and can go look for answers if we have questions; we don't need these dog and pony shows. Or should I say pathological liar shows?

17. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

A couple of good laughs :smile1:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

No.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Jim Lehrer wasn't bad. But he's dead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

So, you are saying he would be rested and ready?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

23. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Hes still head and shoulders better than most of our current journalists.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Honestly, if we couldn't go with Wallace, I'd try to bring an old journalist out of retirement - somebody like Tom Brokaw but not Tom Brokaw. Maybe Bernard Shaw?

25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

He’s dead, Jim.

• Funny Funny x 4
  26. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Too far the other way.

27. 2003TexasGrad

Debates on any channel not Fox News would be partisan Democrats with no ability to conjure fairness toward Trump and everyone knows it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Again, when you are the defending champ you get to pick the venue where your next fight is. Trump can make the challenge and tell them where he will debate, and unless they go where Trump wants, he doesn't have to do it. All he needs to do is sit back and let the democrats make fools of themselves. Biden isn't going to beat him especially if people see him having a senior moment on stage with Trump. Democrats know that and will try and spoon feed him all the questions before the debate so he is prepared.

29. 2003TexasGrad

Right. That means it won't be fair on 99% of the channels.

As was said earlier the debates must be third party generated with actual unbiased moderators.

• Funny Funny x 2
  30. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Damnit Jim, I’m a doctor, not a moderator.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1