"Pressure is self-inflicted" ......

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by car54, Nov 27, 2016.

1. JustWin

JustWin 250+ Posts

Wow. That Daryl guy is saying something similar to what Coach Darrell Royal said.
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.":yes:

• Like Like x 3
  2. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Herman wasn't taking a shot at Strong; he was pushing back at a question that sounded like "what makes you think you can handle the pressure at a place like UT?"

I didn't see it as bragging, but as his life strategy for success.

Everyone who has that kind of confidence doesn't win championships but the reverse is true.

• Like Like x 2
  3. JustWin

JustWin 250+ Posts

Uh... I think I know what you wanted to say, but... be careful with this crowd.:yes:
    Some will see the reverse as:
    Everyone who wins championships doesn't have that kind of confidence.
    Everyone who doesn't win championships has that kind of confidence.
    Everyone who has that kind of confidence doesn't win championships.:idk:

4. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

The "reverse" is the converse--the other way around.

How about this: high self-confidence is a necessary but not sufficient condition for great success in a position such as coaching football.

• Like Like x 3
  5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I usually look at those people and ask them if they actually passed the bar or CPA exam depending. Usually I tell them shut the hell up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

It is.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Understand that with Mack Brown he was a graduate assistant. With Urban he was a coordinator. With Mack he was essentially invisible support staff and just starting his career. With Meyer he was one step below the head coach, and by that time was in position to learn a completely different set of lessons.

I truly hope nobody took that statement as a slap at Mack's coaching ability vis a vis Meyer.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

He illustrated that point well with examples of over-achieving by bringing coach extra pencils and making extra copies. :smile1:

• Like Like x 3
  9. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately, there will always be people who will think that very sort of thing. To those who would, logic would fail them, I mean, he invited Mack Brown to be there so he could then take a slap at his coaching? There are some morons out there.

• Like Like x 1