Prius 2 vs Camry LE

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by zork, Jun 21, 2013.

1. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

2013 Prius 2 for: $23,366(including fees and TTL)
    vs

2013 Camry LE: $18,552(estimated same fees and TTL)

What do you think?

Wife's car(Wife fortunately not injured) got hit when on the receiving end of a hit and run accident and she needs a car for generally commuting 36 miles per work day. We have two kids still using car seats. We have an Explorer for big trips, hauling with a trailer, etc.

The 48 to 50 MPG vs 26 to 28MPG seems significant. The price under sticker is about the same for each. We estimated about 1200 to 1400$ savings per year with the hybrid. (more if gas goes above 3.50/G)

What say you?

2. biganakhanhda

biganakhanhda 500+ Posts

First of all, glad to hear that your wife is ok Zork.

When my wife was looking at cars, she was looking at either the Camry or Prius, ended up going with an Acura TL. But, my mom does have a Camry and she loves it. It is a very smooth ride, but what did it for her was the storage room. The Camry has a pretty roomy cabin and the trunk space is big enough to store 2-3 dead bodies in, or strollers and or groceries, etc.

With two kids still using car seats, I would opt for the Camry especially if you or she need/want storage capacity, then for sure the Camry. I have also heard when the battery on the Prius goes out, it is quite expensive to replace.

3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Looks like it will take 5 years to recoup the additional sticker price of the hybrid. Do you keep your cars that long?

What is the warranty on the hybrid's battery? How much will it cost to replace after the battery dies, and how many more years will it take to recoup that cost?

Just a few more questions to consider before jumping on the hybrid bandwagon.

4. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

Just leased a Prius for 3 years at $199/mo. ONLY first month payment due at signing. I felt like I stole it. Drives great. The same deal was available on Camry but the gas mileage wasn't close. If I was purchasing, I probably would have gone Camry for price difference.

5. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

It looks like there are some pretty sweet deals on hybrids and electrics now. They aren't moving much these days. Also look at your commute, percent city/hwy driving etc. I've read both cars are pretty utilitarian but there may be a difference in how comfortable y'all feel driving one or the other.

And the latest Prius commercial makes it seem like your car is saving the world. Quite annoying actually considering the initial environmental impact of producing a hybrid has been challenged as worse than a traditional economy model car.

6. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

Went with the Camry. It is pretty nice so far. Two car seats set up in the back for their dangling little legs behind the back seat. We'll see how it goes.

7. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

My daughter had a Camry and it was great. Enjoy!!

8. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

So far so good. Wife loves it. We paid more than the original post said but those were hail damaged and this one wasn't.

9. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

We've been averaging about 29 mpg. No problems so far. I can hyper-mile trips and get about 36 to 40 but stop lights are killers for that.

10. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

The thrill of hyper-mile driving is dropping and so is the mpg. About 27.5 to 28 mpg now and we aren't trying too hard to watch it. This is with lots of toll way driving and many short trips with about 6700 miles so far.

I'd buy it again though.