Probable overturning of Roe v Wade

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by VYFan, May 2, 2022.

1. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

2. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

What is scary is that I read the title and didn't immediately think it was the Bee.

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  3. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Looks like scotus already addressed this protest issue.

4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Personally, I'm not a fan of protesting outside of anyone's house. However, it's a very different issue for the same reason that if the January 6 rioters had burned down the Capitol, it would have been a different issue than if they burned down a 7-11 that had run out of nacho cheese.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Protesting outside of someone's home is protesting outside of someone's home. I could argue that a public servant has an expectation of "the public" wanting to have input in their daily activities and a clerk at a women's health clinic might have a presumption of some level of anonymity from "the public".

7. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Except that protesting outside a justice's home is illegal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Protesting outside of a justice's home is an assault on the judicial system because it's intended to subvert the administration of justice through intimidation. It's why threatening jurors is bad, and it's why doing so it's a crime. Telling people (even at their homes) that they're doing something bad in their careers (like working at an abortion clinic) is bad form, but it's not even in the same area code. Again, my comparison of burning the Capitol as opposed to a 7-11 is about right.

And let's cut the crap. If conservatives had done that after Obergefell, they'd be treated like the January 6 rioters, and they wouldn't be far off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

So you want to urinate all over the 1st Amendment? No free speech?

10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

No. It's a restriction on the time place and manner of speech, which is perfectly legal and constitutional.

Case in point - a guy in my high school home ec class (who was obviously stoned) started yelling "suck my dick" in class repeatedly. Was he allowed to just keep doing it? No, he was removed from the class. Is it because my teacher "urinated all over the First Amendment?" No. He has the right to yell "suck my dick." He just doesn't have a right to do it in class where it was keeping a teacher from doing her job and disrupting the educational opportunities of other students.

What I think you're missing here is two-fold. First, you have a right to protest, but there are reasonable limits on how you do it. These people are crossing the line by any sensible measure to rig the process (which should sound familiar).

Second, a court is not like the US Congress or the presidency, which are in designed to be responsive to the people and do their will. It's designed to administer justice by applying the laws of the country without regard to the public or what it wants. That's why the justices are not elected. That doesn't mean people have no right to protest them. They do. They can contact their offices, protest at the Court, etc. However, going to their homes is a big step beyond that. It's more than an attempt to be heard. It's an attempt to rig the process through intimidation and fear. Remember Jan 6. We're not supposed to like that sort of thing.

11. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Jan 6th was fine until they broke into the Capitol building. It was a protest and **** got out of hand. I would say that if/when anything untoward takes place with any of these protests they should be shut down immediately. And, I think it's illogical to think that this will have an impact. As it stands now, Alito's neighbors are handing out snacks and letting people use their bathroom. Sounds like his neighbors like him as much as Rand Paul's do.

12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm not saying it will have an impact. I'm saying the intent is to have an impact. It's bad, and it shouldn't be allowed. In fact, it's criminal and a violation of Garland's oath to permit it.

13. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Says you. The SCOTUS ruled on this issue.... :)

14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

When? Can you cite a case?

15. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

LOL. The upside of you guys treating me like an Okie idget is that I can act like an Okie idget - flinging poo and whatnot. The case above indicated that employees of an abortion clinic could have their homes protested. That works for me. :)

16. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Lol. Well, the Supreme Court also said kids can wear anti-war armbands, but "Suck-my-Dick" Dude had to stop, and no, he didn't leave a civil rights case on the table. You can do the math on that.

18. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Again, none of these involve the same issue or concerns. That's why they go one way, but trying to terrorize a judge would go a different way. I'm not defending any of them, but they aren't similar. This is more like if white supremacists had picketed the OJ jurors at their homes.

20. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

It is illegal to picket judges and it's not illegal to picket other people. Why is this so hard to figure out?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It's bad. She's a liar and is now going to MSNBC. She is the epitome of Liberalism. DIsgustingly sanctimonious and dishonest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I would say this is more like the Westboro fools. But, we almost agree in general terms. I could buy the argument that it should be stopped as they're trying to coerce justices who've not yet actually made an official ruling.

23. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

How is this a lie?

24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

He thinks it's unconstitutional to stop them. He's just yada-yadaing past the judicial process element. Okies gonna okie.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If the ruling had been handed down, it might be more like the Westboro Baptist fools, but that's the whole point. The ruling hasn't been handed down. They are trying to corrupt that process. That's why it's a problem.

26. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It's a lie to say that they have a lot of passion because it's pretending it's nothing more than that. It's a spin and that is lying to me. 100%. She's a liar. So is Joe. That is why their whining about Trump fell on my deaf ears. These people lie all the time then they are "shocked" when a Republican does it.

Next up: MSNBC. The revolving door between the Democratic Party and the media. Are you bothered by that? They are so arrogant about it because their supporters don't care. Then they act sanctimoniously about the media being attacked by Republicans.

Frankly, I think I need to go throw up now.

27. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Then the Attorney General should put a stop to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Was that so hard, Coach? Lol

• Like Like x 1
  29. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

The issue is wrapped in passion since Roe was argued - on both sides of the issue. The right is so passionate about it they turned their back on principle and left a Supreme Court seat open for longer than a 40 week gestational period to elect the least moral president of our lifetimes. And, I'd but the over/under at 6.5 on abortions funded by DJT. Well played Senator McConnell.

30. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 3