Proper aging of wood

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by TexasEd, Sep 29, 2006.

1. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

I am getting readdy to cut some wood for aging and future smoking. I need to know how to age it properly. When I was a kid we only used it for the fireplace so it was not such a big deal.

I think that it is preferable to split the wood at some point but is that after it has aged a year or so?

How long do you age it?

If you are dealing with wood from oak wilt areas they say to cover it with clear plastic for a year first. Do you start the aging process after that since it will probably not dry out as fast under the clear plastic?

Does it need to be in the sun or can it be under some trees?

Do you want the bark on or off?

2. pevodog

pevodog 1,000+ Posts

Age it till it's gray. The soooner you split it, the sooner it will age and dry out. Bark is a bad thing to burn in the firebox, bitter taste.

3. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Just what exactly is clear plastic supposed to do?

4. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

Meh, the bark doesn't really matter -- it burns off so quickly that it doesn't do one thing or the other to the meat. All the joints I've been to and seen the fire at throw logs with bark on them in the firebox. I do the same, and my briskets turn out great.

But splitting before you age will definitely help with the drying out process. The wood will need to go from that living yellowish color to more of a gray, however long that takes.

5. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

We have about 375 acres near the city of Medina and all the dead oak wilted trees you can shake a stick at. By the time I get to them they are usually aged on the trunk, but the logsplitter is a dream tool. A 3 foot diameter trunk suddenly becomes cords of split and stacked oak and even if you just use it for the fireplace, there is nothing like split wood. It burns better and more completely and with easier management of temperature. You want to put an unsplit log on (your fireplace or firepit fire) so you have something left in the morning to start anew, but if you have the room to store it, a logsplitter is a really great piece of equipment.

The oak wilt is spread by bugs that carry the fungus as I understand it, so I still can't see why plastic is going to do jack, but I'm open to persuasion if someone has a decent theory. I'm still not going to do it on the ranch where the oak wilt has already run its course, but if it will keep the stuff from spreading when you export it, I'm all ears.

6. pevodog

pevodog 1,000+ Posts

7. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

8. flaco

flaco 500+ Posts

I am so old school I make a mean cow patty smoked shoulder clod.

9. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

Pevo, I haven't done the barkless route, so I can't compare.

But I know that I cook with bark on the wood, and I have many friends, neighbors, etc., who swear up and down that my brisket is the best they've ever had. And I'VE had umpteen briskets in my life, and I can honestly say that mine is among the best.

Add to that the fact that when I go by Kreuz's, of Meuller's, etc., they're chucking logs with bark on them onto the fire.

I don't think it really makes a difference. HOWEVER, if you have had a recent rain or something, and your bark is wet or waterlogged, I can see how that might make a difference, producing a sour, creosote-ish steam (the same problem with green wood).

But as long as the bark is dry, I think any difference isn't worth noting. It burns too quickly and relatively cleanly to worry about.

In a related story, I need to get my *** out to Nick's place to get me some wood!

10. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I'll let you know the next time I'm going out. You can fill up your truck.

I'm sorry I did not report in on Wednesday. Things went well at the Price Daniel Bldg and maybe even better out on the street afterwards.

11. jmrob93

jmrob93 Guest

I noticed 4 limbs on the pecan tree at the farm that had fallen-- looks to be like they are ging right now-- I need to go cut them and bring them hame-- all 3-4 inch diamerter--12-15 ft long

12. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

The clear plastic is to keep the bugs that spread the oak wilt from getting to the fungus and spreading it in new areas when you transport the wilted wood to an area that does not have wilt. I don't know if those bugs are borers so maybe there are some eggs or lava in the wood too.

You use clear plastic because the bugs cant figure out how to get out from under it and they die under the plastic. If you use black plastic they can see light holes and will escape.

This is according to John Drongole on the Natural Gardener, 590 KLBJ radio.

13. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, I have a nice oak in my front yard and another in the back. I'd be hesitant to bring oak wilt killed wood into my yard, even just a small stack for my smoker, even hermetically sealed with clear plastic.

Is there any way to make sure you kill off all the transporters? Although I guess soaking the wood with poison would render it unfit for BBQ.

14. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

I use oak with bark and like he said so do the other great bbq joints. Also use pecan and mesquite. Everyone craves my brisket....I've heard this barkless stuff before and it always originates from SE Texas...

15. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

BriskeTexan, if you're in the Austin area then we need to do a cultural exchange program. Me over to yours for a try on the brisket & you out to mine in Drippin' to sample the beef Dinosaur ribs.

PS: I've been told I do a purty good brisket myself.

16. Orangeblood

Orangeblood 1,000+ Posts

If anyone is going anywhere to get some oak, shoot me a PM. I am out of oak for the tailgates and my stock of mesquite is rapidly depleting.

17. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

While it will take you a bit of time to age it, I can allow selected cuttings off our place in far Western Drippin'... find Henly on your internet mapping services of choice & we're about 5½ miles due S / SE of there.

11+ acres & I have Oaks on a property line that need removal. I'll share the wood with you provided you share the work with me.

hook_em_horns@hotmail.com

Mark
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    PS: ANYONE can have all the Mesquite they want!