PSA: Parvo Outbreak - So. ATX Wildlife

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by 14tokihorn, Jun 29, 2013.

1. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

[using this forum for better exposure]

I'm on a listserv and have just read reports, from the Wildlife Rescue community:

Eyebrows are being raised on the number of reported and observed racoons showing definite signs of the Parvo virus. (may involve possums, foxes, squirrels... other small mammals).
    ** Right now, the "Zilker and So. Lamar" neighborhood seems to be the hotspot (Said areas from a couple of Yahoo Groups under these titles). The Rescuers say that that these outbreaks follow a multi-year cycle and this summer is a big one.

Just passing it along for you guys & gals. Recommendations include; do not leave water and/or food outside for your pet, remove water for wildlife if you have done so... (I'm not a dog owner, but the Parvo vaccine may not be 100% effective- or so I'm told. I'm sure everyone know the contagiousness of these viruses).

For those who find sickly looking animals, these folks are very dedicated and respected:

Wildlife Rescue: 512-472-9453, 5401 E Martin Luther King Jr Blvd near the intersection with 183.