PSA: Sleep Apnea Morning Headaches

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by tropheus, Aug 27, 2007.

1. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

So, I ran across this pillow as well as other products such as this mattress pad, which are made with holofiber, a nanotechnology innovation that is clinically proven to increase blood oxygen levels. Anyway, I wouldn't call it a miracle product, but it comes close. I generally wake up with low grade headaches due to sleep apnea and for the last week I have used this pillow and mattress pad and I have had no headaches, even with less sleep. Now, I'm not a morning person to begin with, so it didn't magically turn me into the annoying guy singing "zipadee do dah" in the shower, but it has, so far, dramatically increased my quality of life in the mornings. As with anything, YMMV, but I could easily write a testimonial about the pillow that would fit in with the rest of them on the holofiber website linked above. So, if you suffer from sleep apena, morning headaches, fatigue, muscle soreness, or anything similar, consider giving the ambient comfort pillow a try.

2. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

It ain't no lie! Tropheus speaks the truth. I have the pillow and it works wonders. My body feels cooler since I've been sleeping with this pillow. I didn't know about the pad, though, might have to cop that too.

3. mars

mars 100+ Posts

4. LongIslandIceSIP

LongIslandIceSIP 500+ Posts

how much $$$?

5. LongIslandIceSIP

LongIslandIceSIP 500+ Posts

Also, if you use a pillow case on it, how would the material help ? (if it doesn't even touch your body)

Or do you not use a pillow case? [​IMG]

6. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

it costs about $50 for a king size pillow but prices vary considerably online. From what I understand and how I feel from using it, skin to fiber contact is not required (I use a pillow case and a sheet over the mattress pad). It uses ambient light and your body's energy to work its magic.

That sonapillow appears to be an anti-snoring pillow that also helps with obstructive sleep apnea by forcing the sleeper to sleep on their side, thus reducing the instances of snoring while on your back. That may certainly help. However, the pillow I use simply uses energy (light and body energy) to increase blood oxygen levels no matter how you sleep.

7. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

mars,

I saw that pillow at Brookstone a couple of months ago, and have been toying with the idea of getting one. I'll follow up if I do.

8. LordHornAustin

LordHornAustin 100+ Posts

Tropheus,

Do you use a CPAP when you sleep?

9. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

I did use CPAP, but its too invasive for me. I just couldn't sleep at all and when I did, I didn't notice much of a difference.

10. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

Ever consider a dental appliance fitted for you by dentists with special training? The Link

11. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

I should add, mine isn't obstructive sleep apnea, its the type caused by a misfire in the brain stem, so CPAP and other things like that don't work as well.

This pillow is awesome. I feel so much better and I've even started dreaming again -- 2-3 dreams and 1 nightmare in the last 9 days -- good sleep!!

12. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

You have "central sleep apnea". I guess I don't see how the pillow would help?

13. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

clinically proven to increase oxygen levels. It's working, not by making me breathe more consistently, but (my guess is) by making my body work more efficiently with what it has. just thought I'd pass along what seems to me to be another option for those with the problem.

14. C.L. McLovin

C.L. McLovin Guest

Damn you Mike Tyson for not touting the pillow sooner and making Tropheus do so. And MMD, do follow up. You say ambient light, does this mean you have to sleep with a light on, maybe a strobe to create ambiance?

I will get headaches but they are mostly if not soley sinus congestion ones best I can tell with an occasional migraine tossed in.

I dream when I sleep often but getting better sleep since I don't get much of it would be nice. The more you can say about the pillow is appreciated.

15. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

I only know what I've experienced the past 9 days and what I read through reviews and on the website. It seems quite odd to me, but it works and others say so as well. It takes all spectrums of light and body energy to do its thing. I don't know how to make it more effective, but I have left it uncovered during the day on some days others not so much. I haven't noticed a difference between those days. Bottomline, no headaches in 9 days and while still a bit slow in the mornings, I wouldn't say I'm exhausted like before.

also, MT and I were posting about it a few months ago before I bought the pillow, but I don't think anyone else participated in that thread.

16. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

17. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

i quit snoring since i lost 3 lbs.

however, i want one of these pillows anyhow, jsut to make y slep more restful.

can i just use it for that?

18. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho 25+ Posts

3 lbs. [​IMG]

Did you take a dump or something? A person's weight can easily fluctuate 5 lbs over the course of a day.

19. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

scott -- this pillow isn't a sleep apnea or snoring cure. It's just a pillow clinically proven to increase oxygen levels. Holofiber was first used in socks for diabetes patients to help increase oxygen delivery to the feet due to poor circulation caused by diabetes. It has since been used in other bedding and clothing. The kicker is, it has been tested on individuals with no problems affecting blood oxygen levels and it has been proven to work.

So, with me, I am not using it because it is clinically proven to "cure" or help with sleep apnea. I am using it because it increases oxygen levels which is the primarily problem created by sleep apnea. In other words, I am relying on its ability to help increase blood oxygen levels irrespective of my condition, and it works.

20. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

Question: With all of this energy that is being transmitted to you, doesn't that make you hot? How is this different than laying on a heating pad? That transmits energy too. I just wouldn't want to be hot and sweating all night. Any issues in this regard?

21. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

It helps if you read people's replies.

22. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

it's not a heating pad -- take a look at the link above for the technology -- holofiber. The pillow is badass, that's all I can say. Look at the testimonials on the website, they all say its badass.

23. BattleshipTexas

24. C.L. McLovin

C.L. McLovin Guest

Battleship, maybe the energy is cold fusion and won't make you hot. I generate heat a lot at night so it would be nice not to sweat from just sleeping.

25. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

I consider myself to be somewhat logical and I agree it seems very odd. I was just sick and tired of the headaches and CPAP didn't work, a drug my doc recommended (and he takes for sleep apnea) didn't work either, so I tried it and its the best thing I used so far, a noticeable difference.

by the way, still no headaches and more dreams, most certainly my sleep is much, much better.

26. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

It's the Vince Young of pillows. [​IMG]

27. BattleshipTexas

28. MAROON

MAROON 250+ Posts

I've now slept three nights on this pillow. I've had three nights of evidently good sleep as I've had numerous dreams each night. I don't notice that it makes me feel any cooler. The only negative so far is that my wife said I've been snoring very loudly each night. I have sleep apnea, but did not snore much with my older pillow. The snoring could be because of allergies right now, or because I've been overly tired due to just getting back from a three day business trip to Vegas.

I'll sleep with the older pillow tonight and see how the snoring goes, then back to the new pillow to complete the test.

I do feel fresher with the new pillow.

29. Iconoclast Texan

Iconoclast Texan 250+ Posts

I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and am now on CPAP. Sleep apnea can have a nasty affect on every aspect of your life. Before going on CPAP, my daytime sleepiness was getting out of control and it robbed me of energy levels needed to exercise causing me to gain weight.

CPAP is highly invasive and it blows having to wear a mask to go to sleep but I wake up refereshed with energy now and have energy throughout the day for work and exercise. I am interested to see if you can combine CPAP with these pillows.

30. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

I don't notice the cooling effect MT speaks of, but I don't sweat at night either, well, not from unknown causes anyway.