Public Golf Courses

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by SkippyJack, Mar 13, 2002.

1. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

You gotta learn the lingo sometime, buddy.

2. srr50

srr50 25+ Posts

Played Avery Ranch yesterday and was very impressed. They had sanded the greens, and yet they were still smoother and as true as any other public greens I have been on in a long time.

The course was in great shape -- if you were in the fairway you had a perfect lie -- and the scenery was very nice. We played in right at 4 hours, used just about every club in the bag.

The par 3's as a group were monsters. All were long with lots of trouble surrounding the greens. Very tough. Several interesting par 5's that had to be layups unless you hit it very long and very straight off the tee.

The price was reasonable for the style of course ($49) and I will go back again.

3. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

I'm going to the La Cantera Resort next weekend with my wife. While she's at the spa, I'm playing golf. I've never played there. I'm only playing one round, so which course should I play...Palmer or Resort course?

4. chitwood

chitwood 250+ Posts

The recent Golf Digest had a travel section on San Antonio, and they definitely recommended the Resort Course. Resort gets 4.5 stars and Palmer is not yet rated. The article definitely favored the Resort.

5. unpaintedhuffhines

thanks chitwood.

any others?

6. unpaintedhuffhines

7. ornjblud

ornjblud 25+ Posts

I played the "resort" course a looooong time ago, before the palmer course existed.

I'd suggest the resort course but then again I haven't played the palmer course.

There, was that helpful? [​IMG]

8. unpaintedhuffhines

thanks for nothing Robert

9. SimplyDevine

SimplyDevine < 25 Posts

I played the Resort course a few years back..pretty good, but nothing that justs makes you want to come back and play it again and again.
    My dad played the Palmer course, and about the only thing he really said was that there were alot of blind tee shots.

Used to have a friend that worked out there and I think he recommended the Palmer course over the Resort course

10. P4D

P4D < 25 Posts

unpainted,

I would play the Palmer Course. It has some spectacular views of the Hill Country and all the way to downtown (10-12 miles). The areas around the greens are much more challenging and unique. The only drawback is there are several blind tee shots, but the newly installed GPS system and displays help you aim much better ( I played several time before GPS and it was kinda frustrating). Anyway, either course you play, you will enjoy since the course conditions are always superb. The Palmer greens are still very firm, but they roll so true. Try golfq.com for some of the specials. I may try to get out and practice out there this week and will check out the latest conditions and post here.

11. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

Quick update - bluebonnet is in very good condition. Would be GREAT condition, but the greens are still grainy from the overseeding. In two weeks, they'll be perfect and, as always, among the top-3 in austin, public and private courses considered.

12. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

Wow - more than four months since the last post on this thread. Can't have that.

Silverhorn Golf Club is just north of SanAntonio on 281. Played two fridays ago before the UConn game, and it was fantastic. I actually went back inside and complimented the super on the condition of the course. Fun layout - tight fairways, fast greens, lots o' water. Best part was, the greens fee was $58 to ride, range balls included. Given the cost of golf in SA, that's the deal of the century.

So check it out.

13. The Bone

The Bone 100+ Posts

capn,

Is it in Bulverde? Where exactly is it?

14. TexasSun

TexasSun 25+ Posts

I haven't played SilverHorn yet, but it's off of Bitters Road between Blanco and 281. And it is in north SA not north of SA[​IMG]

15. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

16. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

I played mo willy for the first time in about 4 years on Sunday. In fairly decent shape, considering the hot dry summer. Gereens were nice, and the fairways had decent grass. The large harvester ants were a little disconcerting, though.

17. GeeCeeZ

GeeCeeZ 25+ Posts

Drove to Houston and back last weekend and noticed they had finished the golf course in Manor. Has anyone tried that course yet ?

18. unpaintedhuffhines

it's called Shadow Glen and I played it last week.

It has the potential to be a decent course. The layout is different on the front than on the back, which makes for a nice change of pace. The backside plays more straight on, while the front makes you play more strategically with some blind shots. There are a lot mores trees on this course than I expected. 18 is a reachable par 5 which is a fun way to end a round.

with all of that said, the greens are hard as **** and the fairways are bumpy as hell. This course needs to mature before you spend the $44 greens fee.

oh and the cart girl was cute

19. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

I got to play Fazio Foothills at Barton Creek last week.

My golf game has gone to hell (a 112 to follow up my 123 from a month ago), but that course is gorgeous.

20. GeeCeeZ

GeeCeeZ 25+ Posts

Played Delaware Springs in Burnet today and it's in pretty good shape. Only complaint would be the greens. They were hard as a rock and wouldn't hold ****. But they putted great.

Unpainted, thanks for the update on Shadow Glen.

21. Kuru

Kuru 25+ Posts

This thread looks to have been great last year. Is Blackhawk still a p.o.s.? Interested in hearing about the condition/value of some of the not soo pricey courses around town.

22. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

Kizer was in great shape about 2 weeks ago.

We're coming up to the bad time of year where everyone aerates and overseeds. All the courses will be ****** in a few weeks.

23. Kuru

Kuru 25+ Posts

I've heard of golfq.com and golf512.com as sites for coupons. Anyone know of any others? Being a student that likes to play golf isn't a good match.

24. ninerhorn

ninerhorn 100+ Posts

kuru,

Those two are the best. Also, when you go play, ask if the course has an e-mail list. They will send specials to you by e-mail.

Played the Bandit today. Very good shape. Greens were great. Well worth the trip to New Braunfels.

[​IMG]

25. free=good

free=good 100+ Posts

Check golfq and golf512, but then call to see what the rates are at that time. I was headed to play star ranch last week and golf q showed a price of $42 and golf 512 had $39. I called to see how busy they were and checked how much it was (to see how much I would be saving) and it was $29. I would have paid at least $10 more if I had used one of those "coupons".