Purity balls

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by BigWill, Jul 20, 2008.

1. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

2. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

what does "pure" mean to you, netslave?

3. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

4. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

5. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

6. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

7. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

8. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

9. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

10. OrangeChipper

OrangeChipper 1,000+ Posts

11. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

12. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

13. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

14. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

In reply to:

15. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

16. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

17. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

18. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

19. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

some of the responses here are creepier than the original article I cited.

20. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

21. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

22. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

23. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

24. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

let me lay this out.

-she is likely too young/naive/sheltered to have formed her own opinion on the matter.
    -she inherently trusts what her dad says.
    -her dad says "you have to remain pure until you're married to honor your mother and i and i promise i won't cheat on your mom."
    -"of course."

you don't think that is taking advantage of his position of authority?

25. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

First off, most of the girls are old enough to have an opinion. As for the younger ones that attend, I have no idea.

Second, how would this differ from any other moral that you teach your children. Wouldn't any influence over your children be considered 'taking advantage' in this context?

26. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

because, in my opinion, this one relies heavily on guilt not on explaining the available decisions, the possible outcomes, what you encourage, and leaving the decision up to a child you should trust.

27. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

28. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

yeah, it's the 4 year-old's idea to go.

"Daddy...some mean boy wants to use my special purpose...please save me".

29. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

bits and pieces again. i'm not solely talking about the purity ball. i'm talking about your preferred method of sexual education - everything but waiting for marriage is against god's will and would make you impure. honor your mother and i and pledge to remain a virgin until you find another unicor.....err virgin that i approve of. you sound like a kid in a corner right now.

30. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

yeah, the article also says that there were girls as young as four there.

nice.

look, netslave, usually i regard your takes with high esteem. but in this case, i cannot do so...

taking an active role in your daughter's life is not eliciting promises from her to remain chaste until she is married.

here's a perfect example. friend of mine met his wife in high school. both went to college, but they went to different colleges. they were truly in love, but in order for them to wait for sex until marriage would've been to wait until both were out of college. that's four years of your biology and hormones tearing you apart. needless to say, they did not wait. well, unless they were playing parcheesi on the nights i was kicked out of my room in jester.

they both graduated. now they are married, and they are truly as much of an example of true love as any that i've seen. their marriage wasn't marred by not "waiting for true love."

in short, applying broad examples to all people is highly ineffective. that's what these balls do, and that's what "true love waits" does. both have admirable goals, but ultimately, in most cases, biology is going to win, and you don't want a self hating daughter on your hands if that is the case. because self-hate is the first step to self destruction.