Put in my Retirement papers!

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by HornHuskerDad, Nov 2, 2010.

1. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

[​IMG] I did it!!! [​IMG]

I submitted my retirement paperwork this morning. After 35 years with the company, it's time to live life after Lockheed Martin. My last day in the office will be 22 December - last day on the payroll is 31 December; pension starts 1 January.

Mrs. HHD is ready for me - the Honey-Do List is already two pages long and growing every day. But it won't be all work - we have already booked our first cruise for mid-April, and are planning a big road trip to the Dakotas to see Mount Rushmore, the Badlands, Deadwood, and the TR National Park; from there, on to Lincoln to visit my Husker son.

Bet I can manage to work in a bunch more golf. Not sure how much more bridge I can play, since my two principal partners will still be at Lockheed!

Also need to retrain Prince (my cat), I've had him since he was a kitten in 1998. Back then my knees still worked, so I got up every morning at 0500 to do my jogging. Prince is a smart kitty - he connected the dots and associated 0500 with breakfast. Now even if I don't set the alarm, he gets me up at 0500 to feed him breakfast. We'll need to do some serious retraining here!

I'm now officially excited!

HornHuskerDad [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

Congrats, I apparently put in my retirement papers when I graduated college. I keep applying to LM but my phone hasn't rung yet.

3. HornHuskerDad

Longhorn630, PM me with some of your info and I'll run through the in-house listings and get back to you.

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Congrats HHD on 35 years with LM and your retirement... no small accomplishment in todays marketplace. I wish I was retiring but it will be awhile for me. Gotta finsihing getting my sons out of college... old guy that got a late start on kiddos.

You should have more time to pursue Longhorn sports in person if you are so inclined. Regardless, it will be all be good, even the honey do's.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations!! Sounds like you have great things planned already! Cats can be retrained - mine all figure out pretty quickly that nothing good comes from waking Mom too early!!

6. HornHuskerDad

7. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

HHD,

How wonderful for you!! I am sure you will find plenty of time to watch our Rangers, too, as well as watching the Horns, playing golf and traveling with Mrs. HHD.

Enjoy it -- it will be the best time of your life!

8. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations HHD. I know how proud I was of my dad and all he did for his family after 35yrs of employment. I'm sure your loved ones feel overwhelming pride about what you've done.

9. HornHuskerDad

10. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

Congrats HHD! Enjoy finding things to occupy your time! Like the cruise, the road trip, Rangers games, etc! The honey-do list waited this long it can wait a bit more.

11. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations. I retired in April and it has been strange in a way. For several months I found myself wondering on Sunday if there was something I needed to do to prepare for Monday morning. I have now discovered that every day is Saturday and Monday never comes.

12. HornHuskerDad

^Interesting observation, OldHippie. Heard the same from one of my former coworkers who retired about four years ago - "Your week now consists of six Saturdays and a Sunday." I must admit I'm ready!

13. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

This post makes me happy.

14. HornHuskerDad

Thanks, Bevo5. It really makes me happy! [​IMG]

15. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Bravo! Hope is a great time for you.

16. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

This isn't going to be like the Brett Favre retirement, I hope!

Good for you. Keep at least some pressure on yourself, though, even if it is checking off bucket list items.

17. HornHuskerDad

18. HornHuskerDad

Progress Report

Much to my delight and somewhat to my surprise, the Employee Service Center processed my paperwork pretty efficiently. Everything went fairly quickly, and my retirement benefits are now locked in. My first retirement check will be mailed to my bank with an effective date of 1 January 2011. Shortly thereafter I'll get to coordinate the transfer of my 401(k) to my investment advisor.

44 days and counting! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

Nice job HHD! I assume you put in 20 years and retired a light bird and now the Lockheed Martin pension.........very very nice! I am happy for you. [​IMG]

20. HornHuskerDad

21. Namewithheld

Even nicer! [​IMG]

22. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

so I gather you're 65? Your reserve retirement started at 60, so whenever you decide to get Social Security, you will have three retirement pensions? (S.S. LH, Reserve)

Good for you.

23. HornHuskerDad

Thanks, orangecat. BTW, here's a good thought for any of the hornfans who are approaching 66 - I would not have known this, except my (very competent) investment advisor keyed me into it. There is a very restrictive policy on drawing Social Security while still working before you achieve full retirement age (66 for me). If your earned income exceeds the cap, they reclaim $1 for SS benefits for every $2 your income exceeds the cap - and it's a ridiculously low figure. But that doesn't apply the year you reach full retirement age. My advisor urged me to start my SS (and also benefits for Mrs. HHD) last January, so I've been drawing benefits for nearly a year now.

If you're nearing full retirement age, it would be worth checking out.

Meanwhile, I'm down to 33 days to go! I'll post another report the day I walk out of the plant just before Christmas.

24. HornHuskerDad

It's here!!! [​IMG]

Today is my last day in the office. I'll walk out in a couple of hours and head into the next phase of my life. It's been a very good career, but it's time to move on. Now if I can just find a way to retrain my cat so he'll understand that breakfast tastes the same at 7:30 as it does at 5:00!

25. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations you slacker.

26. Namewithheld

How's retired life treating you HornHuskerDad!

27. HornHuskerDad

28. Namewithheld

You are up at 2:00 am? Must be the tooth! I hope you feel better. [​IMG]