Puzzling Coaching Decisions Led to Loss

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by texexted, Jan 6, 2013.

1. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

I was perplexed by several coaching decisions (or lack of decisions) during yesterday's loss. As three point shots rained down, Texas never made a single adjustment to stop OU's outside game. . #24 Campbell was given a free pass to shoot and we never once adjusted to try and stop the three-point onslaught.

Also, for about three minutes in the second half, Aston pulled our only scoring threats when the game was still close, allowing OU to open up about a 12 point lead. By the time Nneka was back on the court, the game was over.

The game started with promise but we then let it slip away. The 8 point loss was really more like 20 if you were there watching. It wasn't that close.

When you look at the Texas bench, you have to be hopeful for the future. And maybe, just maybe, they can catch fire and make a run this year. However, the reality is our coach is as green as our roster. While I think Aston may one day be successful here, it's obvious she's learning as she goes when it comes to coaching at the elite level. This will not be a quick turnaround IMO. I like her passion and fire and she says all the right things, but she's a rookie coach (at this level) learning quickly the competition Texas plays is a bit different from North Texas.

I hope Aston is the right coach to lead Texas back to championship basketball. I think we could have found someone to do it more quickly but that's in the past. However, yesterday Aston did seem more engaged. She was out of her seat coaching, not just observing. That was refreshing.

For now, we'll have to accept we're an average team in an excellent conference. I think we'll surprise some teams but I'd be surprised if we finish about .500. I hope I'm wrong and Lord knows I've been wrong many, many times before. [​IMG]

2. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

If she doesn't get them in some defensive schemes or instill guarding the 3 point line any better, the fear of finishing last in the conference becomes a reality. You can not give ANY team as many wide *** open looks at the 3 point line as they did yesterday. There are too many good shooting Big 12 teams. It was like shooting practice for OU. Yesterday was as poor a defensive effort as I've ever seen by a Texas women's team. Campbell was averaging 7 points a game. That is pathetic.

3. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

4. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Back in the day, I liked going to texags.com to read the comical postings the delusional aggies had about their football team. If I was having a bad day it was always good for a chuckle.

It has occurred to me women's basketball fans in the Big 12 and those outside the conference too probably come here for the same exact reason. An excellent team? Some of the stuff you guys post in defense of poor execution and performance is really comical.

5. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Seeing Central Michigan beat our Horns doesn't qualify us as an excellent team....at least right now.

[​IMG]

6. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

7. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

First - I don't thing I was making back-handed compliments. You may want to re-read my post. However, you lost all credibility with me when you wrote we have an excellent team. You and I have vastly different definitions of excellent. Texas Volleyball? Excellent. Texas Women's and Men's Basketball? Uh no.

8. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

IMVHO Aston was a lazy hire. That said, as a fan, I hope she turns out to be a diamond in the rough. We have a tall, strong group of players but we seemed, very, very slow last weekend - which was my first time to see them in person. I was concerned how much time we slowed the game down to get coached from the sidelines. Not once did we pull off a play or even a move that brought the fans to their feet. It was some of the most boring basketball I have watched in several years. I was shocked because I was convinced this was a great group this year with both inside and outside threats. We missed easy layups. We were horrible from the line. Somehow we out rebounded OU which gives me a little hope if we can make shots. Did I mention slow? OMG slow. Vey nervous about this season but will get to as many games as I can to yell as loudly as I can because that's what fans do... Right? (Backhanded compliments intended)

9. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts