QB Max Wittek Visit

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by HornSwoggler, Apr 2, 2014.

1. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

2. YearOfTheSteer

YearOfTheSteer 500+ Posts

3. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

sightseeing visit? I might have done the same to see Hawaii.

4. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

Can anyone explain why he did not enroll somewhere in Jan. so he could participate in Spring practice and have a leg up on being ready to play?

5. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

6. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

That is correct as far as I know. If he had enrolled in Jan without graduating from USC, he would have had to sit out a year as a regular transfer. The graduate transfer rule allows him to play this Fall and he has 2 years of eligibility left (2014 and 2015 seasons).

7. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

C'mon Max, pull the trigger! [​IMG]

8. BevoBeef

BevoBeef 250+ Posts

My hunch is that Wittek has already pulled the trigger, and Strong already knows. The real problem is that there
    is some doubt as to whether he can graduate in May (grades or credits?). Picture the scenario where he says he is
    coming to UT but then cannot graduate in time. He has been at USC only 3 years plus one spring semester.

After first announcing his transfer, he was saying that his decision would take 1-2 months. Then after visiting
    Austin in mid February, it changed to May (when final exams are taken). Wittek never visited Louisville where
    it is probable that he would be starting. Hawaii & Norm Chow is his only backup plan.

The question that concerns me is "Can he go to summer school to finish and still come to UT in the fall?"

9. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Interesting question.

If you meant go to summer school at USC to graduate, I don't see why he could not play at UT in the Fall. He would miss out on vital summer "practice" time in Austin. I would think that is too late to add much value to the team. Swoopes would have a Spring and a summer to mature as Ash's backup. Would a complete stranger to the team have much of a chance to help the team in 2014.

It would be a stretch to think he could complete his degree somewhere other than at USC this summer and then play for UT in the Fall but maybe it is possible. Stranger things have happened in this world.

I figured that Ash's progress and injury status might have more to do with Wittek's decision than anything else. If Ash remains healthy and plays in the Fall, it is not likely Wittek would get much chance to play.

It seems to me that Wittek would be better off going to a school that unquestionably needs a starter with some experience immediately.

10. BevoBeef

BevoBeef 250+ Posts

Not sure - but this topic probably belongs here also.

Someone posted that the type of bone fracture that just happened in David Ash's foot is one that has a good
    chance to reoccur. Does someone know whether this is true?

Why would a fracture require surgery if there is not some type of pin involved or the tendon/cartilage needs
    to be repaired?

11. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

The Link

Friday brought more bad luck for Texas QB David Ash with the news that the Longhorn starter will be out for the remainder of the spring due to a left foot fracture that'll require surgery. Some speculated that Ash's misfortune (he also missed much of last season due to concussions) might increase the likelihood for strong-armed former USC quarterback to transfer to Texas.

Max Wittek, the former blue-chip recruit, actually hadn't heard the latest news about Ash till late Friday afternoon, but told CBSSports.com it actually wouldn't have any impact on his decision of where he goes next.

"Wherever I go, I expect there to be competition," he says.

The 6-foot-3, 230-pounder, who will graduate from USC in May and become immediately eligible at another FBS program in 2014, has visited Texas twice this year.

"It's a great place and a real fantastic university," Wittek says, adding that UT fosters real world connections much like USC does. He also said he enjoyed his visit to Hawaii.

"Coach (Norm) Chow is awesome. He's really brilliant."

Wittek said he's not sure if he'll take any other visits and that he doesn't have a timeline for his decision.

For now, he's focusing on his schoolwork, finishing the semester and on honing his mechanics with his long-time personal QB coach Steve Clarkson. Wittek said his time in college football limbo has actually turned out to be a blessing since he's had the opportunity this offseason to get back to working with Clarkson a couple of times a week.

"He's amazing," Wittek says of the coach. "Things have become more fluid for me. I've shortened up my motion and I'm really getting the ball out quicker."

12. BevoBeef

BevoBeef 250+ Posts

It is hard trying to decide what a Jones fracture means from reading Wikipedia. Therefore, I asked a radiologist friend
    of mine in order to help me understand the "undercurrents".

Of course the typical disclaimers apply for someone who has not seen the xrays and knows nothing of the injury incident,
    but the professional opinion is this:
    "All bets are somewhat off since he's a premiere athlete. We do all sorts of things we normally wouldn't do on a normal
    patient for them. In general though, it's more concerning from what I know. You'd only do surgery in that type of injury
    in one of us if you were worried that the bones weren't going to heal properly (non-union). This is because if the fracture
    line transverses the shaft, the way the foot distributes force, there's just no chance the bones will stay still."

IMHO, the UT QB situation has changed quite a bit. Ash is not only one knock on the helmet, but also one misstep
    on the foot to being out for another season. Wittek is very PC in his statements because he has gone through the L.Kiffer
    firing disaster last year at USC. You will not hear his decision until about May 14, when the final exam period is over
    at USC. Without Wittek, there is very little chance that we will not see Heard at QB some time in the games this
    next fall.

13. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

One medical website I read indicated the severe repair that sounds like the transverse fracture type involves metal pin and wires where you have the fracture bound in the thin wire with the pin either in or along the bone to provide strength. Apparently, this is an area of little blood circulation so healing is relatively slow.

Regarding Wittek, one more month (or so) to go. Come on over! [​IMG]

14. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

15. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

We need this guy in an almost desperate way.

16. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

ESPN says he was at the spring game yesterday. Anyone there see him?

17. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

If Wittek was at the spring game he saw a pretty good opportunity for playing time. No disrespect to any current, or future players intended.

18. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

Third Coast, I agree. He must have liked what he saw. [​IMG]

19. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Most colleges are winding up the semester. Wittek should declare very soon.

Come on over, Max, we'd love to see you become a Longhorn!! [​IMG]

20. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

USC Spring exam period ends on May 14. Hoping Wittek graduates as expected and gives the Horns another option at QB assuming Strong offers Wittek a spot on the roster.

21. TSIP4LIFE

TSIP4LIFE 250+ Posts

Hope Watson putting a QB in the first round helps him make a decision to come to the 40 acres.

22. BevoBeef

BevoBeef 250+ Posts

IMHO, Wittek has decided to come here but has not announced yet. If that is the case, then the only thing
    that matters right now are his grade scores on the final exams that he is taking at USC. He has to graduate.

Although it is not the popular belief right now, I think Wittek will make a big difference to Watson this summer
    in his planning for the offense. There will be a difference in the plays beyond the basic West Coast offense when
    it comes to supporting a Heard/Swoopes type of QB versus an Ash/Wittek QB. Strong has made it clear that
    he is mainly looking for a QB to wisely manage the offense. But who it is will make a difference in the W-L column
    that first year.

Here is hoping that all that caffeine he is taking to study for his exams is working for him these weekend nights.

23. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

What Bevo beef said.
    [​IMG]

24. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

25. LonghornCatholic

26. LonghornCatholic

Say, what?

According to a report from the Austin American-Statesman citing a source close to the situation, the Texas Longhorns are backing away from USC Trojans back-up quarterback Max Wittek.

Horns247 also confirmed the report, as did ESPN's Joe Schad.

The reasons for head coach Charlie Strong and the Horns backing away from Wittek were undisclosed to the Statesman and have not yet made their way beyond the paywalls, as Inside Texas also has some information ($) about what is going down between Texas and Wittek. The big quarterback was thought to be a lock to end up in Austin after taking three visits during the spring compared to only one other visit to Hawai'i.

And Wittek says he doesn't know anything about Texas backing away:

It may be a little bit of time until the real information emerges here, but Wittek still has some time as long as he can graduate -- he wouldn't necessarily have to enroll for the summer session. It would set him back if he couldn't enroll until the fall, but the spring game was proof positive that Texas needs another quarterback, preferably one with experience that could play if David Ash isn't healthy or can't stay healthy.

Whatever is going on, it seems unlikely that any of this could be about a lack of need from the Texas end.

The Link

27. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

ESPN reports that, "An off field circumstance could possibly lead to a delay in Wittek's graduation and gaining immediate eligibility." Link

28. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

A lack of specific information leads me to think it has to be some academic issue. Especially with the statement about "a delay in Wittek’s graduation".

It is a shame. He could be needed come next season.

29. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I understand we'd like a little more certainty and experience behind Ash if something were to happen, but what's the deal with the lovefest for Wittek? The guy hasn't shown anything above average on the field in college.

50 of 95, 53% completion rate, 6 yards per attempt, 3 TD's, 6 INT's. What about any of that deserves a heavy courting by Horns? Limited passes thrown in college, low completion rate, apparently most completed were shorter than the norm, and his TD/INT ratio is awful. 1 of every 15 passes was an INT. 1 of 32 was a TD. Hell even Case McCoy bested Wittek in every category but yards per attempt over his career.

Ash...366 of 578, 63% completions, 7.5 yards per attempt, 30 TD's, 18 INT's. 1 of every 32 passes was an INT. 1 of every 19 was a TD. Now that's a pretty good QB.

Wittek has shown nothing more than very limited action and highly questionable performance when he played. Doesn't make me desire him any more than going with Swoopes (or even Heard) if needed. Doubt their numbers would be much worse. Apparently the Texas coaches are leaning that way as well. I'm good with it. The guy shouldn't have drug his feet so long, he's been no shining prize on the field.

30. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

"What about any of that deserves a heavy courting by Horns?"

The fact that our QBs aren't as good or deep as people think. We'll take average guys off the scrap heap and plug them in. Look at the Spring Ball situation... Onyegbule can't play NAIA QB, let alone Division I.