Question About Organics

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by TaylorTRoom, Feb 26, 2011.

1. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

I'm not exactly a lefty, but I have started being a little conscious of the quality of life of the animals I eat (plus I'm pretty sure the chemicals they put into the industrial plant meat production aren't good for you). I get that the "natural organic" chickens lived in larger pens, and the grass fed beef got to roam a little more, and I like that.

What is the deal with brown eggs? Are they more natural? Why are they dyed brown (it is dye, right?)? Are there any natural healthy eggs that are dyed white?

2. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

The color of the egg indicates the breed of the hen. It is not a dye, and it is not necessarily organic.

3. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

All beef is grass fed. How it is finished is what makes the difference in grade, yield, cut out, etc. It all depends on what you are looking to do with your diet. There has not been any proven ill effects of antibiotics or hormones administered to cattle as it relates to human consumption. This is not as common as you may think. The end result of larger cattle from the feedlot is a high corn diet. Consider how you would fare on a diet of corn and soybeans for several months. This diet promotes large animals and better intramuscular marbling. Where grass fed and organic are concerned (all organic is grass fed) the health benefits stem from the higher levels of omega 3 and oleic acids, plus the leaner finished product. I have thried both many times and found the flavor profile to be good but never, ever cook it past medium rare if it is a steak. Consider bison as well if you are looking for a natural, healthful alternative.

4. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

There has not been any proven ill effects of antibiotics or hormones administered to cattle as it relates to human consumption.

not unless you like girls getting boobs at age 8.

5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Can you specifically tie boobie growth to cattle hormones, or are you just making a leap there? Do you even know what a hormone is (what type of molecule, how it works in the body, etc)?

Have you ever heard the term "denaturing" as it relates to proteins?

6. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

When it comes to eggs I look for free range. I believe that is the key. It is really hard to say what exactly the diet of any chicken is.

When it comes to beef, I am a bit of the opinion that I am ok with antibiotics, but not growth hormones. I feel like antibiotics help keep individual animals and herds healthy. I think that is a good thing, and doubt that by the time the beef is cooked there is much effect. No study has found one.
    Artificial or extra hormones just seem wrong to me. That isn't scientific I realise. It is just the way I feel. I also know that my family raises cattle (very small operation), and the ground beef my family eats is free of junk. I know the grass and diet the actual cow eats that I eat. It is pretty cool that way.
    Sometimes I wonder if there is a market for what I will call 'boutique beef.' You know... Taylor comes to my family ranch and looks at the cow he wants. Then that cow is sold to him, and transported for him to a butcher shop where the cow is slaughtered and then he goes and takes delivery.
    I don't know any small ranch that does this, but it seems like there may be a market there. Maybe I should run that by my dad.

7. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Can you specifically tie boobie growth to cattle hormones, or are you just making a leap there? Do you even know what a hormone is (what type of molecule, how it works in the body, etc)?

yes, i have even spoken to a few pediatricians that believe as i do.

8. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

general35,
    can you provide a link for studies that show a link between hormones and antibiotics in meat and early puberty?

9. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

How about common sense. There will be an adverse reaction for eating chemicals/medications.

10. Rayug

Rayug 100+ Posts

If you get good eggs from say a local farmer versus what you get in the store. You will see a major difference in the yolk color, the good eggs will be a much darker, richer yellow almost orange color and you will definitely taste the difference. (Assuming you don't overcook them!)

11. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

Most if not all animal products have to be off antibiotics for an extended period of time before they can be butchered and put on the market. I eat free range eggs, and Ray is right, they are darker, and they taste different. A little more earthy, if that can be a term to describe it. I garden organically, no chemicals. You have to be careful though, there are some really nasty organic rememdies out there also.

12. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

13. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

14. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

I'm not exactly a lefty, but I have started being a little conscious of the quality of life of the animals I eat (plus I'm pretty sure the chemicals they put into the industrial plant meat production aren't good for you). I get that the "natural organic" chickens lived in larger pens, and the grass fed beef got to roam a little more, and I like that.

Good for you.

If you have a local egg producer or local beef/pork guy that's the best situation, imo.

As far as "free-range" or "natural" and stuff like that, I don't think there are accepted (or enforced) industry definitions so one person's "free range" may not be another's.

At this point I think two things can be said for the organic movement:

1. People don't really know what it means, they just want to feel good about what they eat and the environment. They see things like "free range" and get a warm and fuzzy feeling that the chicken they're about to eat had a nice, comfortable life. The industry is using terms like "organic" and "free range" to fool, even delude, consumers.

2. People are not really willing to pay more for "organic" items.

15. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

Whole Foods says "hey"