Question for all you fishermen

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by CJHorn, Jan 22, 2013.

1. CJHorn

CJHorn 25+ Posts

I am a cold-water swimming enthusiast and have swum in everything from the Pacific Northwest to the Irish Sea, snow-fed rivers in the Sierra Nevadas and snow-fed lakes in the Rockies. Although I have been doing it for years, I have never kept a log or diary of dates, places and the water temperature. I am going to begin doing so in 2013, and need to find a WATER THERMOMETER suitable to accurately measure water temperatures.

The thermometer I need would be something that I could put into the pocket of my swimsuit and look at the reading when I get out. Because the temperatures are VERY cold, I often do not stay in the water long enough to wait for mercury or a dial to creep along and finally come to rest at the accurate temperature. So what I *think* I need is something waterproof and digital, that takes a quick reading.

I have gone to several outdoorsman's outlets and nobody has anything off the shelf, nor do salesmen who are fishermen themselves have any suggestions. Most say that they have temperature gauges in their boats as part of their fish-finding systems. Using no boat myself, I wonder whether fly-fishermen or surf-fishermen ever have to take temperature readings in order to target what kinds of fish are biting, or select lures or bait based upon water temperature.
    This has me stumped. Anyone?

PS -- If this is not the right forum, I hope someone will send me to the right one. Thanks all.

2. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Try triathlon watches. I don't have one - just a stnd bike computer. I would think out of Polar, Garmin, Sigma, Cateye, and Planet Bike someone has to have a waterproof version with temperature gauge.

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I did a quick look for you but found a pacifier with a thermo on it. Didn't think that would be up your alley.

4. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

5. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

6. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

It's true that a thermocouple can respond faster than most other contact type thermometers, but they're generally not faster than the IR type which is listed first above.

7. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

8. CJHorn

CJHorn 25+ Posts

THANKS to all for the excellent ideas. I am looking into all of them and appreciate the leads. I'll report back with what I end up buying. Thanks gang. Hook 'em. [​IMG]

9. Bye Week

Bye Week 250+ Posts

I am not trying to be contrarian or anything, I guess I am just curious and wondering--what is the allure of this and why would you want to swim in cold water when there are plenty of warm water sites to swim in?

10. CJHorn

CJHorn 25+ Posts

Bye -- that's a good question that I have asked myself many times. The answer is that I do not know. I am sure it partly has to do with not working out as much as I used to, so jumping into cold water gives an endorphin rush like runners get with their "runner's high". I feel good for the rest of the day. It's a daily tonic that braces the constitution, you might say. It makes the morning coffee truly a thing of pleasure.

Also, there's a feeling of accomplishment that comes with conquering the discomfort [and often, the pain] of cold water. Kind of like mountaineers feel about climbing huge mountains, surfers with gigantic waves, or hunters must feel when they finally bag large game after a struggle.

Finally, for me there's a deeper appreciation that comes when visiting a beautiful place with water [lakes, streams, oceans] when I actually jump in. While friends reach for their cameras, I reach for my swim trunks. I am not sure why, but I have been that way my whole life.

Bye, you are not the only one who doesn't get it. Friends and loved ones think it's crazy. The ocean is pretty cold [45-50 Fahrenheit] where I live and I jump in nearly every day, year-round, rain or shine. It's much colder in the high mountains [but the newspaper doesn't publish those temperatures, which is why I started this thread]. And yet, despite having done this for almost five years, I have never once seen anyone else doing the same. It's usually just me and, occasionally, a surfer or two in full wetsuits with booties and hoods. Maybe my wife is right and I'm just an idiot.

Frankly, the only one who really "gets" it is my black labrador. She and I have jumped into lakes and streams from snowbanks. [Changing from snow gear into a swimsuit when the powder is waist-high can be difficult.] She fares better than I do, but she gets it.

Thanks for the help, contrarians included.

11. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

You do all this on your own? You're not a member of a Polar Bear Club?

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

He is a member of the Solo Bear Club.