Question on the Rose Bowl game with USC

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Bill in Sinton, Jan 28, 2008.

1. CajunHorn

CajunHorn 100+ Posts

Well, I wasn't there, but live in New Orleans and can assure you that Mr. Bush retains this strategery to this day. I have never seen a guy more in love with the idea of getting off the field of play than Reginald. It's really impressive how fast he gets there too. With the way he avoids training with his peon teammates, I'm pretty sure that this is not coaching.

2. BeatYaEasyEasy

BeatYaEasyEasy 250+ Posts

For the record, Carol didn't call timeout. Someone else did. You can even see him mouthing on the sidelines "It's OK." I thought that was impressive leadership in a crisis moment. He could have lost it right there. As many have already pointed out, USC was still in a position to make it danger-close at the end.

3. snow leopard27

snow leopard27 250+ Posts

Another what-if: What if Limas had caught the first down pass for a TD leaving about :40 to :45 left rather than :19 (I cannot remember exactly what it would have been)?

On the final drive I kept thinking if we scored with more the :30 remaining we could have soem trouble.

4. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts

I always loved the way Bush strandled out of bounds in the first quarter, and then when the ball girl came for the ball, he did a little pompous flick of the ball behind his head so that the girl had to go chase it. And then of course there was the swinging punch at a Texas player while going out of bounds. Douchebag.

5. stevedallas

stevedallas 500+ Posts

it was not as open as you suggest. He would have gotten maybe two or three more yards tops. And he would have tried to lateral and it would have been recovered by Texas.

6. baylorbear245

baylorbear245 100+ Posts

7. Bevoette

Bevoette 1,000+ Posts

Well if they would have called the hold on the play Reggie would not have gotten any yards that play.

We had some players closing in so he went out of bounds. w/no time outs it was his best option had we hit him time would have run out after only gaining about 2-3 more yards because they would have to fly down there to spike it before another play.

8. Jag Heter

Jag Heter 25+ Posts

Hold on.. IF Reggie had cut back and gained enough yards to them to get a game tying field goal, then VY would have done something even more amazing in OT and we would still be talking about how great it was. That is the beauty of it all. Even if they had scored a FG that drive, I am positive that we would have found some new way to win it.

in fact this quote says it all

QB Vince Young
    On the end of the game: I was hoping those guys would score a field goal and go into overtime so we could keep playing. But I am so happy with the results and seeing my coaches, teammates, and the fans so happy.

9. TrashMaster G

TrashMaster G 250+ Posts

10. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

You do know that USC called timeout prior to the two-point try because there were 12 men on the field, don't you?

11. celis

celis 250+ Posts

TO >>>>>>>> 1 yard penalty.

12. milk_monitor

milk_monitor 100+ Posts

13. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

14. Superfan

Superfan 250+ Posts

15. RP McMurphy

RP McMurphy 100+ Posts

16. RP McMurphy

RP McMurphy 100+ Posts

Also, the fact that USC burned their last timeout on our two point conversion probably weighed in Reggie's decision to get out of bounds. Calling that timeout was a huge blunder by the USC coaching staff.

17. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

From my seat I saw Reggie Bush running with the ball and a lot of open space to his left. He had room to really break off a big one. He made the wrong decision.

Leinhart also made a bad decision on the next play. He scrambled around too much and killed the clock. He needed a quick pass for a first down or out of bounds or both. They had enough time for two more plays, but they only got off one and it wasn't even a shot at the end zone.

Two poor decisions. Game over.

Bernard

18. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

Look at the last few minutes of that game:

USC facemask penalty
    USC leave Reggie on sideline on 4th and 2
    USC fumbles on 3rd and recovers [Lendales only fumble]
    USC blows the timeout call
    USC Reggie runs out of bounds with an open field
    USC Leinart kills too much time last play

Texas was mentally and physically superior down the stretch. I dont think our coaching staff gets nearly enough credit for that.

19. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts

The game was exactly even except for two plays: 4th-and-2 and 4th-and-5.

When USC had their chance to win the game, they blew it.

When Texas had its chance to win the game, we came through.

That is how Texas proved it was the better team. We came through in the clutch. There may never have been two better teams on the field together in college football history. And the whole thing came down to two plays. It was worth the hype, and Texas deserved the victory.

20. CajunHorn

CajunHorn 100+ Posts

Someone should be monitoring their use of English rather than the milk. [​IMG]

21. milk_monitor

milk_monitor 100+ Posts

In reply to: