question re floyd death

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by huisache, Jun 9, 2020.

1. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

• poop poop x 1
  2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The right balance must be created and maintained in a free society, else we end up with: (1) anarchy, or (2) a police state. Neither of which are acceptable. Of course, that’s easier said than done. It seems to me that the pendulum has rapidly swung from leaning slightly towards a police state to actual localized anarchy in numerous big cities.

Law and order is in play as a major political issue for perhaps the first time since Nixon.

Third World style election violence is now a real possibility.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That's a woefully superficial statistic. It doesn't account for criminal activity, interactions with police, the behavior of the person who got shot, etc. Basically, you're expecting a quota on police shootings.

Be careful, Barry. With your line of thinking, a cop might walk up to you one day and say, "too many black people have been shot this year, and we've gotta make the numbers work so even though I only stopped you for a bad taillight and you're not resisting or even smack talking, I'm gonna have to blow you away. I'll give you a moment to say your prayers. It sucks to be white today."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

That dude in your avatar pushed slavery on Texas. Be proud, you make a good white nationalist of yourself.

He also wasn't a fan of native Americans (per wiki below)
    Austin wrote upon scouting the land that extermination of the Karankawa would be necessary,[

Stephen F. Austin - Wikipedia

Austin was a periodical slaveowner throughout his life -SNIP (wiki)

Let us know how the cross burnings go this weekend, ok? Never been to one myself

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Both were POS. That’s what. So maybe you Antifa loving libs can stop holding Chauvin out as all police and stop acting like Floyd was MLK.

I see no evidence you are against the violence that continues to actually kill thousands of black men every year. Blood is on your hands.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

We saw the difference between a news report and a video in the Ray Rice case. The NFL league knew that Rice had struck his fiancee but reportedly hadn't seen the video. They gave him a two game suspension. Then the video is released and all hell breaks loose.

If I tell you someone hit a woman would you have the exact same visceral response as actually seeing the video? It's weird but humans seem to need that shocking visual to act.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

If the stats we are seeing are true. And if Floyd is a criminal who was typical of what the police must contend. And if Chauvrin is a POS. Then the this is not the seminal moment that apparently justifies the looting, the city block occupation by Antifa, the abuse of Drew Brees or ANYONE who wishes to honor the flag, the campaign to "vindicate" Kaepernick, the demands that white people all fall in line and admit their privilege, and the abuse Richard Sherman is laying on Jerry Jones because of Jones' silence.

It just doesn't. Yet it is happening.

This is not an exercise in truth. This is an exercise in left-wing fascism. And it is apparent the event is being exploited for all it is worth. It is making hapless white people scramble to tell everyone how good they are. It is making one-trick pony's like LeBron James, who defended China (or stayed silent because of the money even though China is the REAL example of everything he purportedly hates) appear to be like Jimmy Hines and John Carlos.

If you want the truth then you have to abandon emotion and politics (which is emotion to me because so many people take it personally) and have the courage to say, "This isn't what the media is portraying."

But the mob has spoken and the momentum is solidly rushing towards left-wing politicians. This is their moment. Nothing else worked. Not governing (imagine the past four years and think of what the DNC has done other than attempt to remove Trump from office). Not all the gambits against Trump. Nothing. And now they have an old, sloppy minded, corrupt white man as their candidate while they attempt to backdoor the most extreme elements of their party (Beto, AOC and the hand-picked VP) into power. These are elements that couldn't even win the Democrat primary, yet their vile, aggressive, totalitarian manner is giving them power because everyone is afraid to stand up to them.

That is not Democracy. Or maybe it is a street Democracy; one that is showing the power that can be wielded when one side decides they are on a mission from God.

But that is not America. It's not even close.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  9. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Are you saying so what to that punk *** thug criminal holding a gun to a pregnant woman's stomach? Are you really saying that?

10. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Easy now Deez, we may be able to parlay this racism quota into nice NBA contracts for both of us. I'll hit the three pointers, and you hold up the white power sign as we saunter back down on defense.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

What we have here is a lawyerly approach to purifying Floyd. His past does not have any bearing on the specific circumstance. This is not a trial where his character is important in a he said she said type of case. We are not trying to determine if Floyd is a liar. To pull in his past would theoretically be intended to say that he got what he had coming.

But all we know is that he was subdued and the punishment inflicted by the police officer was so far over the line that he is now rightfully facing murder charges.

I had a friend who pushed a man who groped his wife. The man fell, hit his head and died a few days later. But the groping was no longer taking place and the man had left the bar and was heading down the street. My friend followed him and the unfortunate incident happened. They charged my friend with manslaughter because as the police said, "Once the perp is no longer engaged in the aggressive behavior then you can't take matters into your own hands." In other words, it's over and you have to call the cops (irony given this discussion).

And in the end, my friend was acquitted because (in part), his the deceased running buddy was evasive on the stand about the amount of drinking that had taken place. Apparently, he was so drunk that a feather could have knocked him over. But it was the idea that even with a reason to hurt/punish someone, it is up to the courts to do that IF THE PERP IS NO LONGER ENGAGED IN THE OBJECTIONABLE action.

That's how I see it anyway.

But I know what you're saying. A known felon and person with a huge character flaw is now being deified for all time. He shouldn't be the icon for civil rights but now he is, as flawed as he may be.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  12. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

mc
    Adding to your stats here are stats from Wapo
    Since 2015, The Washington Post has maintained a comprehensive database of fatal police shootings. The Post database shows that fatal shootings by police have run steadily at around 1,000 per year since 2015: 995 (2015); 963 (2016); 987 (2017); 998 (2018); and 1,004 (2019).

About twice as many white people as black people are killed by police. “In fact, in about 75 percent of police shootings, the decedent is not black,” says Andrew McCarthy, a columnist with the National Review.

While the current national narrative is that black Americans are, as some Black Lives Matter advocates claim, being “targeted” by police, Rafael Mangual, deputy director of legal policy at the Manhattan Institute, says that view is backward.

“I think it is certainly fair to say that police have had a target on their backs for some time,” he told InsideSources.

“I believe the number is that police officers are eighteen and a half times more likely to be killed by black males than unarmed black males are to be killed by police officers,” he said. “And studies have shown that the odds of a black man being killed in police custody are about one in 1,000."

13. horninchicago

@bystander, yep, I get it. Isn't it interesting how a punk *** thug criminal drug head is forgiven for his past "indiscretions" yet Bubba and his ilk still mention the ***** grabbing comment by Trump?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Barry, do you really not see why four anecdotes doesn't translate into a case of widespread police abuse? Do you ever look at this beyond the superficial and emotional?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

16. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I don't believe in the religion of systemic racism, but I still think the police should be held accountable more and find ways of continuing to reduce the number of unarmed people killed by them. Police brutality cuts across all sections of our society, some more than others, but there are serious reforms that can be made that would help. Civil asset forfeiture is a problem. Police unions and immunity are a problem. No knock raids and all the types of militarization are a problem. The ever increasing number of petty crimes that police are called on to enforce are a problem.

Civil society needs to provide other options for issues than to call in State employees with guns.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

i'm saying that is irrelevant. He could be a serial killer (worse in my estimation) and the police have a duty to protect him once he's in their custody. That's all.

18. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mona
    Do you know how many unarmed people are shot each year by the police.
    Granted 1 is too many but it does not happen as often as MSM and race hustlers want people to believe.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

20. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

It is called ochlocracy.

21. horninchicago

No one is saying the cop wasn’t wrong here. So the fact that this thug is being honored does matter. The black community holds that guy in high regard?

22. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Yeah I know Horn6721. I still think there are important reforms that would lead to less police killings across all races. They have too much power and are used for too many situations today.

23. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Does any liberal look beyond the superficial and emotional? I haven't met any that understand statistics and what they mean.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Why did he retract it? Not to help Chauvin.

26. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Where did George Floyd fit in the violent crime statistic? unarmed and handcuffed per the videos.

He was unarmed and murdered by police not shot by police.

27. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  28. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I wish all of the idiots trying to get Floyd anointed as some patron saint would do the same for David Dorn and Patrick Underwood. But it seems that THOSE black lives don't matter since they bled blue...and they have YET to take the killer of David Dorn to task for having taken a black life THROUGH black on black violence.

• Like Like x 1
  29. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Point of order. While he may have been unarmed, 'murder' calls for a legal conclusion that has yet to be proven. Killed, yes. Death through an intent-based action? Jury has yet to rule in a court of law. The Court of Public Opinion does not count in that regard.

Word on the prosecution chatter side (yeah, I have people in my building that keep up with that as well) is that there IS body-cam footage from prior to Chauvin's arrival that appears to corroborate SOME of the claims that Floyd had been resisting efforts to apprehend him and that one officer had actually drawn their weapon. But since that footage is not being aired and all we have is snippets of video from what the media wants to show, we get to wait for the jury to hear ALL of the evidence...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

I wonder how many liberals who still hate Kobe Bryant for his alleged rape back in the day have put Floyd on a pedestal. It wouldnt shock me in the least. Hypocrites all of them.