Question Re: Manhattan

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by beaVo, Aug 15, 2009.

1. beaVo

beaVo 500+ Posts

takin the wife to new york in november for a few days.

prob'ly gonna be stayin at the laguardia airport hotel.

how much of a pain is it to get back & forth from the hotel to manhattan? how far is it?

is cab fare outrageous?

is the bus a miserable experience? if not.. how much is that?

2. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

It will be a complete pain in the *** and hassle to stay at La Guardia and go back and forth into Manhattan everyday. I think the cab fare is set at about $35 trip. If you can avoid doing this, AVOID it.

3. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

bad idea. A bus would take forever, taxis are quick, but will cost you. no subway service from manhattan to laguardia either.

You can take the M60 bus to the Astoria Blvd subway station, but that is a pain in the ***.

Get a hotel in manhattan, taxi once from the airport, and taxi once to get back.

A taxi from laguardia to Manhattan is fairly cheap. Unlike, from Newark airport to Manhattan where If i remember correctly i paid $75 one way.

4. TxEx2x

TxEx2x 100+ Posts

If you're stuck in the LGA area, you could always catch the $6 airport bus that takes you to Grand Central Station. You can also take the public bus to the subway.... Take the Q33 to the Jackson Heights station, then take the subway the rest of the way in.... The M60 also gets you to a subway if you take the W bound one.... If you take the N bound one, you'll end (a long ride later) around 125th street in Harlem. The day we did that, the subway was out of commission, and we ended up on a very interesting, but slow, bus trip to the part of Manhatten we wanted to be in... The whole trip took almost 2 hours...

5. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

If you have to stay in the Laguardia area then stay at the Sheraton Laguardia East Hotel. Close to the airport and a block from the #7 subway into Manhattan. Very nice and new hotel. Flushing is also an interesting neighborhood with a large Korean and Chinese population. Obviously it has great Chinese and asian restaurants. It's also safe.

Most of the hotels right across from the airport are not that great and way overpriced for what you get. They are in the middle of nowhere - yes that is possible in Queens - with very limited transportation options. If you are out late in Manhattan you'll want to take a cab back and that would blow the few bucks you saved on the room. You can get some very good deals on hotels in Manhattan right now as well.

As others said I wouldn't stay at an airport hotel to save $. Penny wise pound foolish in time and money.

Enjoy the city.

6. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

Call the Hotel Wellington - it is in a great location near the park. and you can get a decent room for a relatively decent amount. I don't think you can really experience NYC from the airport.

7. hellbunny

hellbunny 100+ Posts

I did a week in NYC traveling in from Brooklyn and it was good but that's because we were staying with friends and they lived half a block from an express subway stop. The commute was about 20-30 minutes depending on where in Manhattan we wanted to go. Late night the trains became much less frequent, maybe every 20-30 minutes depending on routes and maintenance.

I would not want to stay anywhere that I couldn't get onto a subway quickly. For a future trip I would try to find a place to stay near soho or midtown / central park.

On the flipside, if you want to go out to Flushing (Chinese/Asian) or Brighton Beach/Coney Island (Russian) then you have about a 45-60 minute journey.

8. beaVo

beaVo 500+ Posts

i'm startin to regret the airport hotel, but it's done and booked. guess i'll know better next time.

but thanks a BUNCH for all the info. sounds like my best bet will be to take the $6 airport bus to grand central station. i assume i can get that same bus back to the hotel?

does it run 24 hours?

9. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

There's bound to be an efficient way to get into the city. Ask at the hotel front desk. The bus to the subway stop or Grand Central Station is probably the way to go. Someone will know the schedules and the best way to get there.

10. beaVo

beaVo 500+ Posts

another question... what's the weather typically like in november?

we're gonna be there the first week of novmeber... so will it be freezing.. or just chilly?

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

If this is what the fellas are talking about it is now 10 bucks and does not run after midnight.
    The Link

Here's the MTA info that may be helpful. Call and print schedules. Write down the ones you want so that you are not constantly looking at it like as much like a tourist.
    The Link

If you have any problems you can call Texonlongisland any time of the day or night. His number can be found in the men's room of the Odessa Diner in the East Village and any Blimpy in the Tri-State area.

12. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

13. TexonLongIsland

Odessa Diner and Blimpys?

Le Bernardin and Morton's maybe. And l00p is a little confused. You'd find it in the ladies lounge, of course

14. beaVo

beaVo 500+ Posts

l00p.. i thank you for the info.

texonlongisland... be expecting my call.

15. TexonLongIsland

16. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

female lounge, is that code for Blue Oyster Lounge?

17. TexonLongIsland

Tackleberry, is that you?

18. beaVo

beaVo 500+ Posts

just saw a thing on t.v. last night about the katz deli.

MAN... i will definitely be goin there for that pastrami sandwich.

19. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

Carnegie deli is just as good. Not better, but just as good.

20. beaVo

beaVo 500+ Posts

cool. i'll hit both of 'em.

21. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

Just head to the can at either Le Bernardin or Morton's, and listen for the tapping toes from the nearest urinal... [​IMG]

22. beaVo

beaVo 500+ Posts

have NO idea what that means, but it scares me.