Quick Disney Poll - Restaurants

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Woland, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

1. What restaurant do you recommend?
    2. What restaurant should be avoided?

2. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

If you do a seach, you'll find a ton of Disney threads on here. Also, PM txangel03 as she is the resident Disney expert on here.

Obviously your budget will dictate your dining choices. Disney is expensive. However, a few of my favorites are ...

'Ohana (in Polynesian)
    California Grill (in Contemporary)
    Victoria & Albert's (in Grand Floridian)
    Artist Point (in Wilderness Lodge)
    Jiko (in Animal Kingdom Lodge)
    Alfredo's (in Italy at EPCOT's World Showcase)
    Big River Grill & Brewery (at Disney's Boardwalk)

Personally, I try to stay from the restaurants in the parks because they aren't as good as the other restaurants on property, and they are also pretty packed most of the time. The exception is EPCOT's World Showcase. Those restaurants are good, even if packed. Have fun!

3. txangel03

txangel03 25+ Posts

speaking as an insider, my perspective may be a little bit different. What types of restaurants are you looking for? More adult? Child options? All sit down restaurants? Are you opposed to buffets?
    My favorites are as follows:
    Jiko -Animal Kingdom Lodge - sit down restuarant. More of an adult themed place. FANTASTIC filet.
    Boma - Animal Kingdom Lodge - a buffet but with a lot of diverse options.
    Ohana - Polynesian Resort - All you can eat family style. Skewers of beef, pork, shrimp and i believe turkey (?) until you tell them to stop. Ask for a reservation by the windom about 45 minutes before the Magic Kingdom fireworks - they are visible from the restaurant.
    Beaches and Cream - Beach Club - I would do this as lunch or a snack time later. Themed as a 50s soda fountain. Great dessert called the kitchen sink....
    Raglan Road - Downtown Disney - Irish pub. The bars were actually shipped from Ireland, and there's a band that plays at night. DO NOT eat at Rain Forest Cafe. Not worth the money. The seafood place is okay but nothing to write home about. The Italian restaurant, Portobello's has excellent bread and calamari. Side tip - if you plan to shop at the World of Disney, do so in the morning - the lines are MUCH shorter. Do not attempt to shop on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night. I've also been known to eat at Wolfgang Puck Express on occasion (marketplace side/not westside)
    50s Primetime Cafe - Disney's Hollywood (formerly MGM) Studios - you're in a 50s style kitchen, and "mom" is in the kitchen making supper. It is very themed - I've been known to be sent to the corner for not finishing my vegetables. I hear the Brown Derby is also good, but it's more of a healthy choice. Rumor has it Mama Melrose is also fantastic, but when I eat at the Studios, It's 50s primetime for me
    Le Cellier - EPCOT Canada - book NOW. Seriously. There were no reservations from November until January 15th. It is a fabulous steakhouse.
    Tepan Edo - EPCOT Japan - 8 people are seated around a grill and your chefs puts on a show
    Honorable mentions - San Angel Inn (Mexico) and Chefs de France (France), Sunshine Seasons (in the Land at EPCOT). Germany has a wonderful bakery.

When you're at the Magic Kingdon, be sure to stop by the Dole Whip place. yummy I personally wouldn't eat a meal at the MK unless you have young kids - the restaurants on the monorail loop are too good to pass up for fast food.
    For Breakfast, a lot of people seem to like Cape May's or Chef Mickey's.

I didn't mention the California Grill (Contemporary) as an option, as it's not one of my favorites, but it is consistently highly rated by our Guests.

If you have access to a car, I highly recommend Season's 52 off of Sand Lake. Ask for Jason or LIndsay to be your server.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM. I've been with Disney for 7 years now and have definitely made my rounds on the restaurant circuit! [​IMG]

4. arroyo

arroyo 25+ Posts

If you're going to Disneyland then I would definitely stop at the Blue Bayou restaurant for the Monte Cristo sandwich. It's awesome! Make sure and get a reservation though because it gets crowded quick. For a quick bite I would suggest Bengal BBQ.

5. RollingwoodHorn

RollingwoodHorn 500+ Posts

The restaurant at Morocco at Epcot, Marrakesh IIRC, is excellent.

6. bigup2dahorns

bigup2dahorns 250+ Posts

txangel knows since she works there. i will second her recommendation of seasons 52 (off disney property but very close by), it's my favorite restaurant in orlando. for sushi, next door to that is Amura which is also excellent.

7. dfw75201

dfw75201 250+ Posts

I just read that Victoria and Alberts, which I think is the highest rated restaurant there, is no longer allowing children un 10 in the dining room. I guess this is a strange rule for a Disney World property, but they wanted to have one restaurant that was geared for adults.

8. bigup2dahorns

bigup2dahorns 250+ Posts

^ one of the only restaurants in all of orlando requiring a coat and tie i believe

9. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

dfw, I read that too. I've eaten at V&A's. Very good. I don't think it is strange at all. It is a "fine dining" restaurant ... nice food, elegant atmosphere, jacket required, high prices, etc.. I doubt many parents bring their young children there to begin with. Besides, there are plenty of other places on property to which parents can bring their under-ten year olds.

10. KazooMan

KazooMan 250+ Posts

Stay away from the eateries at the American Pavilion in EPCOT. There are too many other great possibilities in that park to waste time on a too expensive hamburger, chicken leg, or hotdog. And if you are hooked on great Tex-Mex, don't bother with the Mexico Pavilion, either. It is not bad, but still pales when compared to a dozen places I can name in San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin. Good flan, if you are looking for something sweet - but that is about all I can recommend. I second the nomination of eating at the Moroccan Pavilion - the lamb and couscous there is the best I've had since I was a kid living in Morocco. Both the Marrrakesh and the Tangerine Cafe are first rate.

Also, eating in front of the huge aquarium at the Coral Reef can be a blast. The Garden Grill in the Land Pavilion is a rotating restuarant that takes you by most of the scenes in the ride, and you get vegetables that were grown in their garden - but overall the food has gone downhill there the last few years. Just take the ride, and skip the restaurant.

V&A is great - but I don't think it is worth the money (dinners start at around $125 per person).

Our Angel doesn't like the RainForest Cafe at the entrance to Animal Kingdom - but it is a decent place to take kids, because the atmosphere and surroundings will help keep them entertained. If you don't have kids 3 - 9, I would go elsewhere. If you do have kids, I would say give it a try while you are at the Animal Kingdom. On just about everything else, I agree with TxAngel - she has great taste!

11. foxyhorn

foxyhorn 100+ Posts

I second the 50's Dinner for a fun, unique theme experience. I also like the Sci Fi Drive-in at MGM for the same reasons.