Quincy Miller....

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Texdoc, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Texdoc

Texdoc 500+ Posts

decides to go pro afterall.

The Link

Last week it was the entire Kentucky team declaring along with the kid from UConn, etc.

Is it too late for JCB to change his mind? What is he thinking? Even Andy Katz (in a CBS Sportsline article) picked JCB as his top guy who shoulda stayed another year.I wish he woulda thought this out a little more.

[END OF WHINE]

HOOK 'EM,
    Texdoc [​IMG]

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

First of all, whoever wasn't going to draft Miller originally still won't based on forward needs. Miller wouldn't bump Brown down in the draft... he'd bump some other forward.

Secondly, Brown really has nothing left to gain at Texas. Lead the conference in scoring again? He's always going to be kind of a slow tweener, no matter when he declares for the NBA Draft. Considering your "draft class performance level" before declaring isn't exactly something that most (if any?) of the athletes do. It's also a weaker "foreigner" year, as the kids like Rubio are already here.

I still think he gets drafted because of his ability to get to the rim and his above average passing/defense. A guard who can take pressure off the other men on the floor by driving has become a valuable thing to have off the bench.

3. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

The Austin Toros could have an all Texas backcourt next season.

4. busterbrown16

busterbrown16 1,000+ Posts

5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

First of all, I have LHN. And he was markedly better in those games than the conference slate.

J'Covan wasn't the "bad" passer on this team. He had a better assist ratio than most shooting guards in the nation. The fact that he even has other dimensions to his game in addition to scoring is enough for NBA teams to take a chance on a proven upperclassmen, as opposed to say... Cory Joseph and Avery Bradley.

As for this:
    "I am also sick of the "what does JCB have to gain by coming back? How about a trip to the Final 4? How about working on some other aspects of his game? How about endearing himself to Longhorn faithful instead of being forgotten as an undrafted could have been?"

A. Final Four? Or he could make the league minimum while we have another one-and-done. Column B is more likely.
    B. He's not going to improve in Barnes' system any more than he already has. He needs the unlimited practice time, even if that means D-League for some stints.
    C. If he needs to prove himself to you or the fans, then you're the one with priorities out of whack. He has a family to provide for. He's not "playing some game" to make burnt orange people like him more.

6. Texdoc

Texdoc 500+ Posts

You gotta be kidding me 11. (Although kudos on your Lamar Odom predictions)
    JCB was projected to not be drafted when he declared. Since then about 10-15 guys have declared who would all bump JCB down another spot, regardless of their position. Even someone that was gonna take a guard would draft Miller if he started falling far enough. I know you know that there are players drafted every year, higher than they shoulda been, based on the fact that they played on a high profile team, especially if they are a leader on a high profile team. You also know that once you are a first rounder you will get multiple chances (especially by the team that used a first round pick on you) that a FA will never see.
    Well.... JCB was not on a high profile team (unless you have LHN), but next years roster looks promising, & if they did well with JCB leading them, he could very well move up to the back of the first round next year. There is absolutely no chance of that happening this year.
    As for his family - unless they have a dire emergency where someone needs expensive care immediately, they would be trading one more year of living at their present level for a decent shot at some serious money for the next several years. IOW, money IS the reason he should come back, not the reason he should leave. This is not a good financial decision.

HOOK 'EM,
    Texdoc. [​IMG]

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

He may just not like being in college or another reason not keeping him wanting to stay at Texas. It really could be that simple or he is just convinced, having spoken to more people than we have about his future, that this is the path he should take.

Ready or not, he's not wanting to stay at Texas and I respect that. I wish him the bestest.

8. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

It's entirely too optimistic to predict a 2013 where:
    A. the draft talent level drops, leaving a better position for Brown...
    B. Brown somehow improves his overall game, making him a guaranteed first rounder...
    C. Brown doesn't get injured, leaving his earnings dry...

If Cory Joseph could get drafted off his UNC clip reel (which the Spurs relied heavily on when pondering which guard to take), then Brown could just as easily show his KU comeback, or even games that we lost like the one in Columbia this year. Brown has a more complete game than any of our recent guard draftees. He is not the bumbling Brandon Mouton that people are making him out to be.