random but epic LHB suggestion

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by STLHornFan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. STLHornFan

STLHornFan 25+ Posts

I know theres a snowball's chance in hell of this happening, but here's an idea for the Longhorn Band:

The Theme from Inception!!!

2. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

You read my mind. I've thought for a while that this would be a good song to play after a 3rd down stop or big defensive play ("Drive is Collpasing").

3. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

I always thought the LHB should play the "Deguello" for about the last 10 minutes before the kickoff.

Of course, that would mean shutting up the damn ads, gongs, PSAs, weather reports, and crappy music played on the Godzillatron before the game for more than 10 seconds....

Of course, Plonsky's head would explode if anything that actually contributed to the fun of a game happened during a game...

4. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Won't have the same effect without the strings

5. orngblud

orngblud 1,000+ Posts

6. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

7. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Heck, I agree with Galloping, play it right before the smoke entrance, teach those boys what Texas is all about and play it.
    Hookem and remember the Alamo!!!
    It's about time we took tradition to the max.
    "This is our House" and we defend it!!

8. BevoDan

BevoDan 100+ Posts

Guess I'm too old school...still like after a big defensive stand the first few bars of '"he Eyes" played slowly. And after a first down the first few bars of "Texas Fight". [​IMG]

9. UTEng

UTEng 100+ Posts

As long as they don't whip out another rendition of Malaguena. The most overplayed marching band piece. Ever.

And, I'm an LHB alum.

[​IMG]

10. SomeMildLanguage

SomeMildLanguage 500+ Posts

VCU's college basketball band had some awesome tunes at the NCAA tourney in San Antonio.

11. GabeRocksSocks

GabeRocksSocks 1,000+ Posts

Get ready to have your mind blown:
    The Link

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

THIS would get people ready to go. Hats off to the George Washington Band who did this for hoops games along with other titles.

Full of RAGE

13. STLHornFan

STLHornFan 25+ Posts

Oh gawd thats both awesome and frickin' hilarious!

14. tangouniform

tangouniform 100+ Posts

Less LHB, more Jock Jams!!!! [​IMG]

15. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I gave props to the wrong George. Mason, not Washington.

16. NativeTXchic

NativeTXchic 1,000+ Posts

STLHornfan.... your sig cracks me up!!! [​IMG]

17. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

The Deguello music there is not what the Mexican army played at the Alamo, which was a bugle call. The music we all think of was actually written by Dimitri Tiomkin, the expatriate Russian who wrote the music for the Alamo, The High and the Mighty, a hundred other films and Rio Bravo, where he first introduced his version of Deguello.

If you want to hear the actuall deguello, watch the version of the Alamo made a few years ago with Billy Bob Thornton. The fellow who did the score, Carter Burwell, went to the trouble of finding the Mexican bugle call and incorporated it into the film. It was the music that prompted Thornton's Crockett to pull out his fiddle and do a solo response, which is one of the few non historical things in that film---along with how David died.

Tiomkin was a great composer for films and also wrote High Noon and its song. He studied music at the St. Petersburg Conservatory along with Prokofiev before coming here. Great man.

He also managed to repeatedly work bars of the Eyes of Texas into the main score of the Alamo, which I didn't pick up on for decades.

18. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

What about Wooly Bully or On Broadway?