Random Season News

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Oct 11, 2018.

1. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Glaring weakness = 3 man defensive line.

2. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Where is our strength? Bijan, but after that I dont think there are too many players on our roster who are feared. What happens if Bijan gets hurt? 8-4 seems optimistic, but I hope I am wrong.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Coach K uses mostly a 4 man front. The Jack may not have his hand in the dirt but he is essentially a speed/rush DE. D-line will absolutely be a team strength. One of the best Texas has fielded in years. Keondre Coburn (3 year player going high in the draft); Ojomo (good last year and improving); Jacoby Jones (same); and Ray Thornton/Prince Dorbah (very promising). The fact that Sweat and Collins are backups should tell you what you need to know about this line. Talent and depth. The d-line will carry our defense next season.

As for the Jack, Ray Thornton played LB at LSU, but he is like 6'3" 240 - rush DE is not out of position. Prince Dorbah has never been anything but a DE.

• Like Like x 1
  5. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

I think 8-4 is pessimistic but let's look at the weaknesses.

QB - may not be a real "weakness" but certainly unproven right now. Essentially 1/2 of a bowl game against a mediocre Colorado team is the combined experience of our two QBs. Reports from the spring are they are holding the ball too long and taking sacks.

WR - tons of talent but, like QB, no one is really proven as a lead WR. Whittington and Jake Smith and Josh Moore have played a bunch and are talented, but none has really taken over the position. Also they are all speed/slot receivers (I know Sark isn't that big on this distinction). We need a big downfield threat who can get jump balls. Omeire showed a ton of promise last year but we are yet to see him in a game. As with QB, tons of talent but still a bit unproven.

LB - Adeyoe returning is huge. Gbenda has little experience and Overshown just moved positions and is injured. We are just thin at this position. Probably the greatest weakness of the team.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

O-line will be the best in many, many years. Christian Jones is being talked about as a draft pick. Okafor has played for 37 years now. Majors is being talked about as all conference center. Anguilau is pretty good and Kerstetter has also played 37 years as a starter. Karic is a solid rotational player and Ghirmai is a solid backup center.

See previous post on WRs. We have TONS of talent, we just need someone to step up and be a consistent stud. In a 10 game season, Moore had 9 touchdowns but shrank in some games.

Bijan as a strength cannot be undersold. A stud RB with a good o-line can cover a lot of sins.

TEs are also no slouch.

See previous post on D-line.

Secondary - tons of talent. Jamison could be an All American. Schooler beating out Foster says we are deep at safety. Jerrin Thompson/Owens are less proven but talented. Josh Thompson and Darion Dunn can hold down CB and have experience. Chris Adimora and Cook will be very good at nickel. Adimora could probably be a cover corner. Jahdae Barron as a back up is getting a lot of positive chatter too.

This team is pretty good. We just need a few people with experience and talent to step up at WR. QBs to prove the talent they have showcased. And for LB not to sink the entire defense.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I see strength in every position including LB and WR. We use to be weak at LB but Sark has obliterated that problem. We are strong at WR with the additions of Omeire and Worthy who is faster than a speeding locomotive. We look good at every position which has been a long time since we can say that!
    Three biggest issues to me is (1) will the defense jell as a unit (2) can the QB get the ball to the receiver at the right moment, another words timing. (3) can the O-line open holes for the RBs. Perhaps the o-line could be considered the weakest position even though it is stronger this season. This is now the position that Sark has to strengthen going forward and i have complete confidence he will.

8. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think the defense will have the same issues as when Strong and Herman showed up. Both the 2014 and 2017 crews were solid talent-wise, but the changing scheme and lack of mental wherewithal really tanked us in a few games in both of those years. I don't think Coach K is going to tolerate laziness or poor fundamentals, but I would have said that about Bedford and Orlando as well.

I also think everyone is overrating (or under-worrying?) the QB position. The limited footage we have of both guys playing is some pretty weak Spring Games, a handful of late option throwbacks by Card to a guy who's no longer here, and a sparkling half of bowl game football against what would have been the worst defense in the Big XII not named Kansas. We go as the QBs go, and that's part of the reason why we haven't been world-beaters these past 11 seasons.

9. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Congratulations LC!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yep! I agree. Can't stand that sawed off pip squeak.

11. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

And he drank it all up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

37 years!? Damn! Those guys are old! They must have a transcript so long it drags the ground.

13. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I have learned not to overestimate this team. 8-4 is totally realistic.

sure we have a new coach but the players are mostly the same (and new QB).

I hope Sark changes things quickly but we won’t really know about that until the season is under way.

sorry to be a wet blanket.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Its just so much more fun to go down the road at 70 mph rather than 35 mph.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  15. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  16. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

Well you lost me right there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

That depends on what you're in or on. I had a 1976 Ford Fiesta that was pretty scary at 70mph.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Fiesta is a Rolls compared to a Pinto or Corvair.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Some random thoughts:

No doubt the big longhorn football story going into the fall is the QB battle. IMO, It's probably going to be Thompson to start the first game. Ok, no problem.
    Probably the next story going into the fall is what kind of impact will Worthy have. Can he be the new number one receiver, the go-to guy, the home run threat?
    Then maybe the next story is K. Robinson. Similar to Worthy, will he be an impact player, the home run hitter. I suppose fall practice will tell us a lot. I hope he proves worthy of getting playing time in games.
    Ironically our last two, late additions maybe our greatest new impact players, the magic of Sark.

But come to think of it the defense is also a story.
    And then the OC and DC. Sheesh, stories galore. Certainly, this season is one of the most anticipated seasons since, well, last season.:popcorn:

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  20. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Joel Klatt says B Robinson is the best RB in the country.
    I'm not quite that optimistic but I certainly say top five. All the conferences have good RBs. I'll be giddy though if he finishes as the leading rusher. But i don't see that happening cause others will get carries.

21. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 8
  22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I prefer 8 teams (conf champs + 2 at large) but whatever.

• Agree Agree x 5
  23. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

Not a fan of expanded playoffs.
    No matter how much you expand them, the teams that just miss are going to cry.

24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

NCAA doesn't give a rat's *** what WE want, think, or say. They don't give a **** about the players or schools. It's all about generating more TV revenue run through them to justify their miserable existence.

Coaches Royal and Broyles were right some fifty years ago.

Anyone else remember the veiled attempt to appease the big boys by placing attendance minimums on D-1 schools? Whatever happened to the enforcement of that rule?

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I think he could be the best in the country, but I believe that you need a top 10 line to be the leading rusher. Texas might have a top 20 line.

26. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Didn't they amend the attendance rule to size of stadium?

27. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Probably did, since Third Ward puts about 300 people in Jeppesen Stadium, which was renovated to hold 35,000 I think. I haven't been back to that dump since the ticket fiasco arranged by that worthless son of a ***** Gladchuk, who allowed UH to sell the same seats to three different purchasers, including the seats of their dozen season ticket holders.

Two rows in front of us was an elderly (80s) man, who laid down in his seats and refused to be removed. He started grabbing his chest, so EMS was called, and he told them, "hell no I am not having a heart attack yet, but I will if you try to move me".

28. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

How about a 12-team playoff?
    (something to read to kill some time while waiting for Sept. 4)

The New College Football Playoff Proposal Would Transform the Sport

Under the proposal, the 12-team tournament would include automatic bids for the six highest-ranked conference champions, and since there are only five power conferences—the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC—this would guarantee at least one playoff spot for a nonpower champ.

The tourney would still stage most of its biggest games at bowls like the Rose and Sugar, rather than reward higher-seeded teams with home games like a normal sport. The new exception: Under the reported proposal, the first round of games would be home games.

In the 12-team playoff’s opening round, we would get tantalizing peeks at what a college football playoff could really be. This sport has some of the biggest, loudest, and most depraved crowds in the world. No venue in American pro sports can come close to a full Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge at night.

But the only teams who would get to host any games would be seeds 5 through 9, because the top four seeds would have first-round byes. Sometimes, it might be better to finish No. 5 than No. 4, because at least the No. 5 team would be favored to win one playoff game, and winning a playoff game looks nice on the recruiting mailers.

Quite a messy system. But this is actually tidier than anything top-level college football has ever had before. For 152 years, the sport has usually determined its champion based on the opinions of old guys with neckties, whether they’re AP Poll voters, sports historians, BCS computer programmers, or Playoff committee members.

29. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I actually think eight would be enough.
    I feel rarely would you have a 0 to 1 loss team outside the top eight.
    But I will take twelve.

• Agree Agree x 5
  30. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

I've always thought 8 made sense - the champions from each of the Power 5 conferences and 3 at large, which would allow for Group of 5 conferences, independents, and/or other Power 5 teams who didn't win their championship but warrant a spot. Either way, I'm glad the conversation is happening.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1