Random Offseason News

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Jun 1, 2017.

1. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Really stinks. Looks like some parents wanted to be the coach....

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

No way he was going to beat out little Ky Ky last year. I guarantee OU still goes for Hurts anyway and who know what happens the next. He still ends up transferring anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

Kyler was only going to be there 1 year. Rising probably could have started next year.

He probably knew he wasn't going to beat out Kyler and came to UT because he thought he could win the QB battle with Sam. He made a poor choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 9
  6. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

That's what I said... Kyler would only be there one year. I also said OU still would have attempted to get starting national championship winning transfer qb Hurts whether Rising was there or not. I think Rising would have ended up transferring whether here or at OU.

Every elite athlete these days think they should come in and start immediately. That fire is flamed by coaches telling them they can come in and compete for the starting job.

That is true in a sense, but at most big time programs coaches already have an idea of who will be the starter and true freshmen don't normally come in with the mental and physical tools to take the job. Coaches are saying what they have to say to get the recruit.

Then it becomes the second recruiting season for coaches to keep the kids from leaving. The stupid part is by the time the kid transfers and sits out a year, in many cases, they could be starting by that time at the school they originally committed. Unless they are just one of those lifetime backups for whatever reason. This has got to be a brutal process for the coaches in this "me" culture.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  7. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Any chance R Johnson challenges for the 2nd spot in 2019?

Even if he’s good enough to do it I think that might get Thompson to thinking about a transfer again and put us in a very tight spot w/ QBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Lake Travis QB arrives in 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

There is some jibba jabba that he may need to work though some issues with his throwing mechanics

10. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Bingo

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think Thompson is the unused backup for 2019 and then we'll see how Spring Ball 2020 shapes up. It'll be RS-Soph Thompson vs. RS-Fresh Johnson vs. HS-Fresh Card for the backup spot. Theoretically, if Thompson were to lose his backup position when Sam is a senior, he could still transfer, lose his sophomore year, and still play 2 somewhere else.

12. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

Right, that's a tight call there.

Deep down I think the kids know who is the best. The best athlete might not pick up the offense quick enough, might not be a good culture fit any number of things could make the difference.

Whatever, it sure makes a difference how colleges recruit QB's going forward.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Hopefully the days of unused backups are behind us. As our program matures under Coach Herman, we hopefully have games well in hand to play more backups at every position, every game. We did not have that luxury this year.

14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

True, true. At the start of the season did anybody imagine, in their wildest, drug-addled dreams, that the team we would beat by the greatest margin all season was going to be USC?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Where is you know who?

16. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

If Jevan Snead stays at Texas and redshirts a year, he gets to come in for Colt and possibly win a national title in 2009. He is the full time starter in 2010.

If G.J. Kinne never transfers, he ends up starting for Texas.

What can you do?

For Buechele, the writing is on the wall. He is not the kind of QB that works in this system. I think he should absolutely transfer. As for Casey Thompson and Cameron Rising.... transferring would be way too premature as one will for sure be the back up. Sam, unfortunately, is injury prone and one of those two is highly likely to play.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  17. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Great point, Badass. Recall the Nebraska program of the nineties. They were so dominant that in most games, the starters were done by halftime. The backups played the second half. There were lots of benefits to this approach: (1) incentive for the backups who worked very hard in practice, (2) lessened the exposure to injury for the starters, (3) built experience for the backups so they were ready to start when their time came, and (4) if a starter did get injured, you had an experienced backup to plug in his place.

Hope this model comes about for the Longhorns soon!

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Claiming the 3 spot, I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  19. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Yikes. Wonder what that number will be after the stadium renovations to dkr and the new basketball arena is built.

• Hot Hot x 1
  20. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Queue the aggy boycott of the WSJ in 3..2..1

• Like Like x 1
  21. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

HHD -- I have Sam in mind. He was so banged up by the Champ game that we were bringing a knife to a gun fight. Sam may have fewer eye popping stats next year, but fewer miles on the tires! I will take that now in a heart beat.
    Team Awards > Individual Awards

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  23. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Message to team. Next Year starts Wednesday

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some interesting news -- 247 thinks OL Patrick Hudson will participate in spring ball. The last I read on this was that medical retirement was a real possibility. Good luck to him

• Like Like x 4
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Good news. If this is all behind him, he could push for significant minutes or even a starting position. He was highly-recruited as a rare powerful road grader-type that can really move. At a minimum, he'll provide depth.

A hat tip to our trainers/medical staff for the Johnny-on-the-spot work they did with Hudson. A potential Jordan McNair-like situation may have been avoided.

28. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Any idea as to what the medical problem was? I hope it is not serious and he is not taking any risks by trying to play football.

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I have not seen that disclosed yet. People are saying he has been putting extra time with our S&C guy (McKnight) to get past the overheating issue. Still to be seen if the issue has fully been resolved

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Collin Johnson had arthroscopic surgery to clean up knee damage suffered before the Texas Tech game. Considered minor surgery with a recovery window of 4-6 weeks means he will probably miss some winter conditioning but will be ready for Spring Practice.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019