Random Offseason News

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

#5 SEC East will be interesting only to see how bad it will really be.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Good luck with that

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Brilliant move by the Bad Hatter. Kansas has a very limited recruiting base in Texas inspite of the fact the Oilers owner graduated from KU.

Les, Sr can get any HS coach in Texas on the phone on first ring. Everyone of those coaches knows Les, Jr.(#13 as I recall).

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

RB Tristian Houston and RB Kyle Porter rumored to now be in the transfer portal.

Which, if it happens, I think would leave us with 4 schollie RBs total

7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

We're gettin' gutted. This rule is no bueno.

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Reasons for going the portal route

* don't really want to compete for a position
    * just want to get on the field and play somewhere
    * lack the talent to win the starting job
    * poor evaluation of school to attend / relative competition level at position
    * snowflake / coach is a meanie

What else?

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

If your name is Kyle Portal, you basically have no choice but to enter

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Other possible reasons:

*New girl friend attends other school.
    *can't hack academics here; need an easier school (would explain transfers to Zero U).

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Players would have transferred with or without this rule. Transfer happen every year. I like this rule which also makes it easier for Texas coaches to find players that can help the team. There's far more open discussion this way.

None of the three RBs looking to transfer would have cracked the rotation next year or the next after that. We knew, or should have known that at least one of our two frosh QBs was going to transfer. And it was a foregone conclusion that Buechele was gone once he didn't gain the starting position last spring. I was surprised he didn't transfer before the fall but happy he didn't as he helped UT win two games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  15. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

while true, it's for sure not at the same rate.

16. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

That's what I'm thinking. Is it the rule or a coincidence?

17. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Let them go. I’d give up 3 per to get the next Tre Watson.
    Recruiting is changing like technology in the late 90’s.
    Off the top 3 big time players beating Georgia;
    Watson, Gary J. and Calvin Anderson
    Bring on juco’s and grad transfers.
    Kudos to staff for evaluation and fit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

They certainly landed on their feet with those three pick-ups. Hopefully we can keep it going.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

For what its worth .... Texas social media has made an huge turnaround over the last two years.
    I do wonder if a chunk of our twitter traffic is asking CDC why he keeps thinking we want to restart the series with aggy?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Joe,

The Houston Chronicle had an article stating the Fenves and the Aggie president want to renew the series. Difference is the Aggies can control their moron, we cannot.

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I had to cut the Chron. I just could not take it any longer

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Former Longhorn Adrian Phillips (2010-13) made the Pro Bowl
    Was one of the team captains in 2013, went undrafted

24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Joe,

I took both the Post and the Chronicle. When the feds forced Houston Endowment to sell Jesse Jones' newspaper to Hurst, it changed. The closure of The Post left the Chronicle as the only paper and it quickly became fishwrap. I liked a morning paper and couldn't get the DMN or Star Telegram delivered.

When the Chronicle refused to send me a bill and wanted me to pay check by phone or leave my credit card on file, I dropped them. That's been over a decade ago. I check their website every morning online and to make sure I'm not in their obituaries.

FWIW, if there is an article of interest, I read it for free on the Beaumont Surprise website.

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I was friends with a couple of the Post folks. They were angry for a very long time about how that went down. Probably still are
    (I hate Hurst with a passion)

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Some things from TFB on the OL--

A redshirt freshman who continues to receive high praise is offensive guard Junior Angilau. I’m told he’s another guy who has the mentality that Herb Hand wants in his guards, has the best feet at the guard position, and is powerful to boot. He and Denzel Okafor are my early front-runners for the guard positions.

The right tackle position is still up in the air. I’m continuing to hear good things about the development of redshirt freshman offensive tackle Christian Jones. It appears the staff really likes his work ethic, and off the field, he has the right attitude to put in a lot of extra work. I’m not saying he starts this year, but he is a project that is coming around nicely and may play sooner than later.

I checked in with a source on redshirt sophomore offensive lineman Patrick Hudson. The 6’5, 330lbs swiss army knife was taken to the Intensive Care Unit back in September after suffering from “exertional heat cramps” due to rising body temperature during a hot and humid day. It is not over, but as of now, I do not see Patrick Hudson returning to the team any time soon if at all. Medical retirement seems to be where this thing is going.

The Football Brainiacs - UT Edition -

27. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Hate hear that about Hudson. Prayers and best wishes for him.

• Agree Agree x 6
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Early Longhorn opponent next season LSU just hired Joe Brady of the New Orleans Saints as their "passing game coordinator." He is also supposed to "work alongside Mickey Joseph" in coaching theirs WRs.

29. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

'It don't make a ****... we're gonna kick your ***!!'

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts