Random Offseason News

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Jun 1, 2017.

1. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

St Brown would concur.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

True that, cause I’m of the El Paso has the best Mex food ......period, group.

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sorry, Joe, I never had a meal at Vargo's that was even good.

Rudy's, The Rivoli, Harry's Kenya were my all time favorites.

Won't eat at anything associated with Lonnis Schiller, so no to Cafe Annie

Damian & Johnny sold Carraba's to Outback, but kept the original and Damian's. Damian died in the last couple of years as did Frankie.

:hookem2:

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

LOL. I have nothing against either SA or Laredo. I have spent time in both places. I enjoy the food there too. It's fun.

The taco arts depend alot of personal preference. Who is really to say what is the best of anything? I bet street taco makers in Mexico City or Monterey LOL at the tacos in Laredo and SA. Who is correct?

As a one time resident of San Diego, I am qualified to sat this, Baja has the best fish tacos/lobster tacos. Best prices too. Arguably the best sunsets as well.

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I knew the whole clan back in the day, all the cousins. Ate at Paulie's yesterday by coincidence.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I mostly ate there as a youngster. My divorced mom dated a guy who loved going there. My sister and i never turned down that invite.

Regardless, this is the top chef-tree throughout the city. Branches of that tree any direction you look.

7. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

I bet she said yes because you were cocky and relaxed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

After she said yes I was all C & R again!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Of course it's all just a matter of personal taste. Just avoid having any sort of debate or discussion about who has the best Mexican food with a person from New Mexico. Many out there seem to take it personally.

:texasflag::fiestanana::texasflag:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Rule #1 of dining:

When you cross the Red, the Sabine, or the Davis Mountains, do not eat BBQ or Mexican Food.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Also Chicken Fried Steak (unless you find a good German place and order Wienerschnitzel - the original CFS).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Are they even in the debate?

13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If you like bland, flavorless green chilis, probably

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Mexican food? Although I grew up in Austin (El Mat, etc.) and now go to Mexico — Playa Del Carmen & Monterrey — probably 6-7 times a year, I’d probably put Javier’s in Crystal Cove (near Newport Beach, CA) up against almost any Mexican restaurant. And trust me, when it comes to eye candy, there’s no contest.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Only place I've found out of state is that place on the northwest corner of Wilshire & either 9th or 10th in the peoples republic of santa monica.

Maybe I caught them on a bad day, but i wasn't impressed with Javier's. As you said, I was more into enjoying the scenery than the food.

16. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

My worst out of state dining experience is one nightmare that just won't go away. On a business trip to Akron, Ohio, my hosts insisted, I say insisted on taking me to a "Mexican" restaurant. Everything on my plate was covered in Marinara sauce. It was all I could do to remain civil, let alone polite.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We operate at different ends of the spectrum. I am happy with street tacos in Oaxaca. Or lobtster tacos in Baja. Or redfish tacos in Tuxpan.

Puerto Nuevo, Baja
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Truer words were never spoken. This agreement comes from a personal experience I hope with every fiber of my being will never be repeated.

Ate chicken mole enchiladas at a place in Park City, Utah. It was the worst case of food poisoning I have EVER experienced, I'm talking far, far more than mere vomiting and diarrhea, try muscle cramps, severe weakness, fever, and other assorted discomforts to go along with the typical symptoms.

I haven't been able to enjoy mole ever since.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

20. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Well I wasn't dissing it just right sizing it in the discussion. It's a very large metro area It should be good.

I just didn't think it was Top 3, maybe not 5. :beertoast:

Places people fly in from all over the country just to eat. NYC LA SF

21. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Expected someone would have posted this by now but legendary sports writer Dan Jenkins passed away last Thursday. RIP

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

See also "In The Stands"

23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

No

• Hot Hot x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Early enrollee jersey numbers:

LB De’Gabriel Floyd- 1
    QB Roschon Johnson- 2
    WR Bru McCoy- 5
    LB Marcus Tillman Jr- 13
    TE Jared Wiley- 18
    RB Jordan Whittington- 21
    LB Caleb Johnson- 30
    DL Peter Mpagi- 45
    OL Tyler Johnson- 72

• Like Like x 1
  25. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Austin mexican food is terrible to mediocre at best, but people who have not lived in Houston, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, El Paso, the Valley, etc understandably think Austin's mexican food is really good. The best mexican food in the above cities can be found at the hole in the wall joints visitors generally do not try. Even better are hole in the walls outside of major cities from Houston/San Antonio to Brownsville. I understand why some my not comprehend the attitudes of people from those places because, using San Antonio as an example since it was mentioned above, people generally try places like Alamo Cafe (was great 20 years ago, is terrible now other than its tortillas) and may understandably leave unimpressed.

Matt's El Rancho and Juan in Million are okay at best, but they are like inferior versions of what you can find in Houston, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, the Valley, El Paso, etc. I will say I have spent time in far South Austin lately and there are okay places which are much better than what you find elsewhere in Austin. I did always like El Arroyo until they changed who was running it and it went downhill recently. I like Torchy's but do not consider it tex-mex as it is just people from california making california style mexican food, which is fine but not on par with tex-mex.

The problem with Austin food is it tends to be vastly overrated. Austin has some good food, dont get me wrong, but I have to say overall I would put last or near last as far as major cities in Texas go. The problem is everyone in Austin THINKS everything is amazing by virtue of it existing in Austin.

I'll also note Austin has some of the worst help in the state of Texas that works at its places. I have never been food poisoned outside of Austin, and I have known way too many people getting food poisoned there. I believe there was a new story a few years ago where Austin was the lowest ranking major city when it came to clean kitchens, etc.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here are the highlights for walkon RB Jaren Watkins who is listed on our Spring roster

• Like Like x 2
  27. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Sweet JF thanks as usual!
    I hope J Whit keeps 21, and makes it legendary. Can’t think of a recent star that wore it. Babers?
    Also love Ro in 2!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  28. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

I don't think those highlights are for this walk on RB. :idk:

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

JWhit listed on roster at RB

• Like Like x 1
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019