Random Offseason News

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Jun 1, 2017.

1. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Much to the dismay of some people, Smokey will still be at games, likely manned by Spurs, just like was done with Bevo when the Spurs were banned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

The Silver Spurs took care of Smokey last time, I'm sure some organization will assume the duties this time too.

3. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Limas Sweed is suing the NCAA related to concussions he allegedly received at Texas. Says he was forced to play before he was health.

We are going to see a lot of these

Link

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Do NCAA athletes sign a waiver or something indicating that they acknowledge the risks of their sport? I understand that would be a separate issue from what Sweed is claiming

5. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

No and there are lots of statements put out by the NCAA that one of its core purposes is to promote safety in sports. That's why the NCAA is an easy target. In fact, one of the reasons the NCAA says it was founded was to promote safety in sports.

Also, the NCAA has things like safety committees and has commissioned health and safety studies over the years. Things like required mouthpieces arose from NCAA safety studies and committees.

6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I say temporarily entrust Smoky to the Pom squad (or whatever those girls with the cute chaps outfits are called). That would certainly maximize Smoky's visibility on tv... Might also result in more camera shots from the rear of Smoky. :popcorn:

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  7. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Wow, six years? So who’ll do ol smoky??

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

They came and took our cannon?

That aint right

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Former Texas OL Paden Kelley (Austin Lake Travis) has passed away from cancer.

11. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

oh my, less than 12 months ago ...

it gets worse ...

"I threw the papers away," Jefferson told The Athletic. "It's not really good feedback. If a guy wants to come out early, they have to make a decision on their own. Really, if you're not like a top-10 guy coming out early, it's just up in the air from there. You just don't know. Anything can happen."

Former Longhorns LB Malik Jefferson says he ignored advice from NFL draft committee before turning pro

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 7
  13. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Damn, I feel old looking at that picture...

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I think it's a great pic of him - he looks good

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

I hope Earl and Vince have been sharing some breakfast coffees in the past few days to, you know, just try to reorient things.

16. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yeah, I think some advice from an older and wiser legend to a younger and less wise legend would be a step in the right direction.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sorry, playing catch-up on this thread:

It goes back a lot farther than that. They came in hating us from the beginning - and the first Big XII match-up was that slugfest at DKR that they won when we were both Top 10, and then we took the trainwreck squad to their place and beat them. I think they always saw themselves as wanting to be the new "top dog" in the Big XII, and we were the target.

In that last game, they pretty much came out of the tunnel talking trash - and that may just be because that's how they are. But I think they came in wanting to create a rivalry. Hasn't really worked...

Three red flags in one sentence. My theory on mole of ANY kind is you better be real confident in the person making it or it will mess you up. Add chicken into that and put it in Utah and you might as well have just injected bacteria right into your stomach! :D

After watching the video that CJ posted of the receiver competition, I'm a believer.

18. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I like that Cardale Jones and J.T. Barrett still look up to Herman like this. It doesn’t matter what uniform you wear, you always remember someone who makes a difference in your life. :hookem:

• Like Like x 6
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

More JT Barrett and Cardale Jones

• Like Like x 4
  20. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

What an awesome accomplishment to go the whole season without dropping a pass. Mr. Reliable. I don't know what to say if he does that again this season. I hope the ball comes his way a lot this season.... Plus he's so fast so why not. Fast with great hands, hmmm. Sounds like a go to receiver. A few out routes and then boom an out and up or down the Sidelines with a back shoulder throw. That's money.... just sayin

• Like Like x 1
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  22. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

^ You can take the boy out of Oklahoma but--

23. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I was going to "fix" your post and change "Oklahoma " to "trailer park" but I quickly realized that there is no difference.

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

This is gonna get real next year when the coaching staff starts wearing jorts.

• Funny Funny x 2
  25. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

And cut off tank tops.

26. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

And the game is played in a Walmart parking lot

27. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

I was thinking wife beaters.

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I thought this was kinda funny

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  30. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

:arrow-up: Smart kid, I hope he has a big year and gets his shot at the NFL.