Random Offseason News

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Jun 1, 2017.

1. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Lawrence Sampleton, George Sauer, Pete Lammons, and Jermichael Finley all say "Hi" from the NFL. Couple of guys named David Thomas and one other from that team that escapes me presently.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Chris Ash says former Texas QB/WR Miles Unyegbule is back at Texas working as a GA and helping with the cornerbacks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

I hope he starts at CB. He’s a difference maker. Him, Jalen and Cook are solid. Add in Sterns and Foster (who I think is the best player on the D) and secondary looks strong. I might be leaving someone out

• Like Like x 2
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Good depth chart with recruiting service averages, colors for redshirt status and schollie totals - click once to enlarge.

Landing WR Black and the new 2020 CB did help with some of the depth issues. (not sure Leitao is still a TE or if Owens is still a safety. Overshown is listed at LB)

Black is supposed to be competing with Eagles at the X. If so, then Smith/Washington/Lewis will be the Z, leaving Whit/Moore at slot (I originally assumed it would be Black at X and Eagles at Z, but Anwar says both will be at X)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

E
    Enjoyed many of these during my Chicago days. Didn't know that...

9. RainH2burntO

I
    Interesting....
    Thought they'd have Whitt/Smith rotating at slot, but this is a waay better plan....get both on the field at the same time and give defenses fits

10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Herman said that Smith and Whitt are #1 and #2 at H (slot) on his little Q&A thing from a couple weeks ago. Lewis isn't playing this year, and can't come back until summer 2021. People are really discounting Woodard and Washington. Last offseason, it was "wait until Smith shows up!" and no one was talking about Duvernay. That's how I feel about the returning sophomores.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

They used to say it was all due to bad Big 12 defenses
    I guess they have changed their tune now

• Like Like x 1
  12. RainH2burntO

I thought what you said about Whitt and Smith. That is why JFs post caught my attention. I'm now wondering...
    Either way...the good part is at least we are getting back to some options and depth.

13. RainH2burntO

I still believe to this day alot of this started in 08-09 and a catalyst was Saban preparing for UT. He knew his secondary wasn't use to the Big12 style of play and could have problems with a dynamic spread passing attack. I am a Mack fan, but the irony of his post CFBC loss desire to move to a more power run while Saban was making a move to adopt more of the spread style (offense and defending it) was an overreaction and a gross miscalculation. He should have said we would have beat 'em with Colt and just kept on moving down a road that was working.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Saban had panic in his eyes before Colt went down because he realized 'Bama could not stop the Texas offense with Colt running it. Only loss ever to 'Bama by Texas. One other was a tie and the rest were Texas victories, perhaps none sweeter than the 1965 Orange Bowl which foreshadowed the Jets upset victory over the Colts in SB III.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

We'd have won that game by three scores if Colt had played.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

The coming recruiting cycle offered two Texas 5'star running backs, and Mack absolutely wanted one of them. That was a bigger reason for the move to the power run game.

To this day I still can't believe he thought all he had to do was change a few formations and call a few different plays and he he would have a power run game? We didn't have close to the right offensive linemen to run that offense and it showed in how horrible our offense became. We couldn't run and we couldn't pass.

• Like Like x 1
  18. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I think she's reporting this from an Irish pub.

19. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

One of the Goods

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Pat Fitzgerald says hi.

21. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Agree.

Horns absolutely had the blueprint to win that game and were on FIRE. Bama was on their heels.... I will go to my grave believing Horns win if Colt plays.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

We'd have won by 3 scores if Sherrod Harris had played instead of Gilbert.

23. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Speaking of impact TEs ....Just rewatch the title game and check out #16 !!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If Brown is less concerned about padding Colt's statts, and more about preparing backups, AND we had WR coach that taught the WRs to read a defense so they are on the same page as the backup, we would have won.

Gilbert's INT took the wind out of our sails, but that was on the WR reading and being there for a spot throw.

25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Watch that year's OU game and the CCG against Colorado. DT made two plays that sent a message to each opposing coach - "Don't ******* try that again".

Stoops admitted privately that he got the message loud and clear. We haven't had that kind of leadership since he and Studdard left

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
  26. RainH2burntO

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!

27. skandor akbar

skandor akbar 25+ Posts

Bo Scaife

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Scaife was also the reason behind VY's best season as starting QB for the Titans, catching 58 passes one year. I was kind of amazed that he didn't have a bigger statistical impact at Texas, being here for 6 years and all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Having to split time with David Thomas probably had something to do with that.

30. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

You guys do realize that outside of Bo Scaife and now that I think about it, Pat Fitzgerald none were equally good at both blocking and receiving.