Random Offseason News

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Jun 1, 2017.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Any update on JWhit?

2. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

That is what I gathered, as well.
    Now remind me...
    Did we ever figure out the connection...if there was one...between this new Yurich styled defense and what we saw in the Alamo Bowl? Specifically, why did what we see in the Alamo Bowl look like what is described as the Yurich defense even though he wasn't here yet?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Yurcich is offense. Ash is defense.

I don't think the D will be anything like the Alamo Bowl, however. That was Naivar taking Orlando's plan and simplifying it, injecting some athletes at different spots. Like, guys who should have been playing in those spots all year.

Ash is definitely known for getting DBs close to the line and letting them use athleticism to get back into pass protection position. This is a good year for that with Sterns and Foster. People think Owens is even faster than either of them.

4. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Alamo Bowl performance was largely due to OSU not being anything like the Big 12 attacks the defense has to face week in and week out in a pass happy conference.

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I been inverting their names for the last 3 months
    I blame my facemask

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

7. RainH2burntO

"Like, guys who should have been playing in those spots all year."

This^^^^^^

Thanks for the correction...I was responding to another post that stated Yurcich and just rolled w it with no filter.
    And thanks for the input.
    I was aware of Naivar and the simplification approach. I was just curious about how Naivar came to do that in the Alamo Bowl and it happens to be Ash's approach, as well. I suppose the staff had consulted with outsiders or finally come to the conclusion themselves that the defense needed to be simplified, so they used that as a guide to hire someone whose philosophy supported what they now realized.
    Of course, Ash may have consulted with them previously to impact the Alamo Bowl approach.
    They could have just asked some of the fans about two years ago!
    However we got here...I do think we will have a real legit defense...best in the Big12...this year....uhhh..if there is one.
    :brickwall:

• Like Like x 1
  8. RainH2burntO

Utah

9. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think Utah's offensive performance throughout 2019 was actually quite similar to ours, at least in our better games. Huntley is similar to Ash's playing style, except in the weight room. Moss was like Ingram/Johnson combined in terms of running production. Their WRs aren't as talented as ours on paper, but combined for about the same production level when you spread it around.

We got the game-of-the-year from Ossai switching to a more natural fit, with Adeoye, Mitchell, and Jaquess playing LB at a clip we hadn't seen all year. The DL combined for 12 TFL (if you include Ossai as an end like Sergio Kindle rather than a buck), another issue we had going back to the Chuck Strong days. The best teams in the country can get in the backfield, and we finally did that in the Alamo Bowl. Utah has a better offense than teams like TCU and ISU, and we didn't fare well against either of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The freshman Omeire

[​IMG]

12. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

Nice legs.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

A very fit freshman (with runway legs - if football fails, he could be a sock model)

14. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Funny Funny x 6
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Big on Big

• Like Like x 2
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Was that guy nekid?

(obligatory: not that there;s anything wrong with that)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

ala Marty Cherry??

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

DE Marqez Bimage opted out

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. RainH2burntO

Just read that.....too bad. Was he penciled in at 1a or 1b? I cannot find the depth chart.

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

short clip - Card to Dixon

• Like Like x 2
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I think he was definitely in line for PT
    Based on the IT piece, it sounds like he wanted his RS season back
    Perhaps he is planning to replace Ossai (6'4,253) next season if Ossai leaves? Bimage is 6'2,251.

• Like Like x 1
  22. RainH2burntO

Interesting...So some players may be using the covid circumstances strategically as opposed to due to perceived health risks...

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Do you think?? Same thing as most of the NFL players who choose to sit out with pay (were going to struggle to make the roster). (While the pay is technically an advance on next year's pay, the Union will make sure that isn't enforced.)

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I think the other player who still has a RS is Jacoby Jones

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ready for a practice report? This is from somebody on OB

The offense is doing whatever they want with the defense. The new scheme attacks the middle of the field relentlessly. The offense will apparently have more QB under center near the goal line. Sam has been sharp and loves the new offense. Card has been very good and even getting some run with the 2s. JQJ needs work as a thrower.

First team WRs have been Smith, Moore, and Black. Whitt and Omeire also getting run with the 1s. Not sure why Eagles is with the 2s, maybe he's in the doghouse? Moore is running the best routes. Omeire has been "dominant." Whitt and Smith both making plays as well. Lots of weapons.

Bijan is the real deal.

Nobody has been able to handle Coburn when he's fresh.

Graham is a leader of the D and looking very good as well.

The right side of the OL has been Hookfin and Okafor.

• Like Like x 3
  26. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I'll take that as good news for the offense since I was pretty damn concerned about who was going to step up for Duvernay and Johnson.

• Like Like x 1
  27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Note Eagles was up and down last year too.

28. RainH2burntO

Good news on the O front. I believe our D will be legit, so....
    Attacking the middle of the field sounds stupendous.
    No mention of Casey Thompson is curious.
    I hope the QB2 battle goes down to the wire throughout this season and into next as QB1, but it sure sounds more and more like Card will be hard to keep off the field. I'm hoping all three of them are...

29. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Attacking the middle, a new concept.
    Fans have been complaining about that for a long time. We will miss Duvernay but I think we will be fine. Someone will shine.
    I'm also thinking Epps has an opportunity to shine if he would get serious. He should be faster than most linebackers. I am not sure if he has enough weight to be an effective blocker though. But we have good options at TE.
    I thought defense was usually ahead at the beginning of the season. Maybe yurcic is really good.

30. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I think if Whittington can stay on the field he will fill in for Duvernay just fine.

• Agree Agree x 1