Random Offseason News

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Jun 1, 2017.

1. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

No, of course not. COVID containment is the largest unknown here. It is not a low cost endeavour.

Texas players note that in speaking with other team's players, that Texas is doing the best job of any University out there. It is the weakest link in the other team that will decide whether this season is completed or not.

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

LH,

How did the school manage to house and feed 3000 foreign students in Jester for all these months with no results? Those elevators are small.

• Hot Hot x 1
  3. BurntOrangeLH

Did UT test frequently? I have no knowledge about that event.

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

There have been zero reports, good or bad. With the Austin media, I would think that any bad news would have been all over the headlines. Doubtful they could keep a spread hushed up for this long.

5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Countries have stopped testing folks who are not showing symptoms. Probably 1 out of 25 or 50 college students show symptoms. Plus, if you test positive and not showing symptoms, you likely already had it and the test is picking up virus proteins and rna fragments. Universities who are testing random students are identifying those who either have no symptoms or already over the virus. It takes 2-4 weeks to clear the virus fragments from the body. Thus, universities are closing campuses even if >95% of those who test positive are not infectious.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Had the same here IDE. My 4 yr old grandson was crying in bed one night and told his momma he wanted the Covid to go away (actually the cobid is what he says). He seems ok now but was pretty blue for awhile.

7. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

I don't believe colleges are testing for antibodies...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Practice report time?

Casey Thompson is the firm No. 2. Hudson Card "treats every practice like a Pro Day." They keep throwing more at him, doesnt get rattled. He’s still not getting through all his progressions as quickly as Sam Ehlinger or Casey Thompson, but he knows where they are. “It’s still moving a little fast for him. He has 2.5 seconds to get it out and that’s it.”

Isaiah Hookfin is stronger than he looks. He's athletic with great feet, and getting better at the point of attack. He gets better with each rep. He’s a hard worker and determined to stick with the ones. He’s the 5th best offensive lineman right now.

T'Vondre Sweat is one "big MF." 357 pounds never moved so well.

DeMarvion Overshown has a non-serious, non-coronavirus illness.

Josh Moore is the best route runner.

• Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I am not referring to antibody tests. I am referring to tests using antigen (look for the virus proteins themselves) or PCR (look for the RNA) ...

But after the virus is cleared by the immune system, all of those viruses leave little trails of RNA behind. The RNA gets stuck in vesicles one the cells and it can sit there, in the nose or mouth, for weeks or months at very low levels...

On the other hand, with a very sensitive PCR test, people might stay positive for many weeks or even months bc it continues to detect the leftover RNA from the past infection.

But this can be bad - it leads to unnecessary quarantines of people already past their infection

if doing low frequency screening of asymptomatics with PCR, the majority of people found to be positive will be detected only after their infection.

So in the US we are unnecessarily quarantining millions of ppl, assuming they are infected when they’re already recovered

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It just appears that way when you are carrying. Wide berth, you know what I mean?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Info from this guy:

A0C49837-0E2B-4485-9864-B414A74330F1.jpeg

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Not us but pretty good anyway

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

So they still have a few brains that haven't been ruined by emotions at Harvard, eh?

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Collins

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Coach Valai

• Like Like x 1
  17. BurntOrangeLH

I do not even know about the event, so that was under the carpet. Theoretically, there were no students on campus since April until the football players returned in July. The Astrophysicist Professor next door has not been keeping office hours, but neither has he been attending international conferences like he usually does all Spring and Summer.

18. RainH2burntO

Here's a piece w updates on camp defensive position battles...
    Standing out to me were Reese Leitao said to be in two spot behind Ossai for Jack, -ahead of Vaugns and Dorbah, Adeoye said to be ahead of Juwan Mitchell for MLB , and Chris Brown said to be favored ATM for starting strong safety over Foster. Piece stated Ash likes Browns physicality, which is saying something as he is obviously competing w BJ for that spot. Plenty of time left, but interesting battles and safe to say tougher battles and better depth at some key positions- though we need more in a couple areas.
    Texas Football fall camp: Defensive position battle updates

19. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Chris must be putting on quite a camp if he’s ahead of Foster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. RainH2burntO

Worth noting that before everyone started jumping on the Card hype train buzz around CT was growing fast - and he apparently has been earning increasing confidence of the staff.

21. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Anyone know the back story here???

22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Cancelled LSU game?

23. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

He was starting ahead of Foster last year until he broke his arm. He's quicker and more experienced, not really surprising.

24. RainH2burntO

If guys are now tweeting about things like wishing they could play LSU instead of "other" stuff ...after an offseason like this one...then we may really have something good going on this year.
    ....I can only hope it was something like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I see more posts on here referring to past statements/actions of our student athletes then I am hearing anything new from the players.
    That was then, this is now.
    Let's leave it be and play football until we have something new to pontificate on.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

If this tickles your fancy, just wait until half the team walks off the field before the Eyes of Texas after the UTEP game. You might want to cover your eyes because it's gonna get ugly up in here.

27. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Well, let's wait for that to happen before we get our panties in a wad.

• Like Like x 1
  28. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I’m hoping your optimism is warranted moon, I really am.

29. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Me too. :)
    I'm beginning to enjoy talking football again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. RainH2burntO

Moon, I dont know man...I've been mostly focused on football for a couple weeks now. I dont know what you are reading from others, but as for me, my post was meant to be positive - and just a brief mention of past focus of the team to make a positive point about current focus shouldn't offend the senses of anyone...unless their panties get wadded easily, that is.
    I'm with you about enjoying talking football lately. I really think you read too much into my post, but...your prerogative.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020