Randy Shannon to DC?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Friday, Dec 11, 2010.

1. mrTM

mrTM 100+ Posts

Shannon will be temporary unless he gets Will's spot as HCIW....the man is a Head Coach and he will be a head coach within 3 years.

2. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

3. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

4. mrTM

mrTM 100+ Posts

IMO, I don't think Randy is going to be happy as just a DC....he has all it takes to be a HC. I think he could have brought the Canes back, if he would have been given the chance....and some school will give him another chance in the near future. So yes, everyone is temporary....it's just the amount of time they are. GD seemed to be overdue on his temporary stay.

5. allweatherHorn

allweatherHorn 1,000+ Posts

Up and out, man. That Shannon is motivated to impress as a means to an head coaching gig is perfect. If he is successful, it's a win-win.

6. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

7. spit and tears

spit and tears 250+ Posts

8. allweatherHorn

allweatherHorn 1,000+ Posts

mandingo, allwhether is more than a stalker. He is a contrarian/alter ego, ever ready to challenge me on any issue. Keeps me sharp, or dull, as the case may be.

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

10. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

Randy Shannon was on the cusp of becoming the DC at Kentucky of all places at a time when there are HC jobs available. He was a career assistant coach and does not really take to the spotlight. Assuming he is successful, a lengthy tenure as DC at Texas as likely as his bailing for a HC slot elsewhere.

Presenty, Texas needs to hire a DC and OC as soon as possible to put some positive news before the public and the recruits. The duration of Shannon's stay is the least of our worries.

Kentucky filled its DC slot.
    The Link

11. SWHorn

SWHorn 500+ Posts

12. mrTM

mrTM 100+ Posts

13. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

ossDellenger‎: RT @billvilona: Miami Herald reporting Temple's Al Golden has chosen UM and accepts offer to replace Randy Shannon as 'Canes football coach.
    Twitter - 2 minutes ago

14. Mobyhorn

Mobyhorn 250+ Posts

I wonder if Shannon has one or two blue chip recruits who would like to come along with him?

15. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

Recruits following coaches is very much the exception to the rule. When it is all said and done, we may lose one or two commits, but I'd bet a nickle to $10K that none of them wind up at Florida. The same applies to any Miami commits if RS is our DC.

16. idahohorn

idahohorn 250+ Posts

Well if Harsin is the OC none of his recruits will follow. Texas would not have any of them.

17. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Maybe we should have some of 'em.

18. idahohorn

idahohorn 250+ Posts

Well if you want undersized athletes with a chip, there is plenty to choose from.

19. baoklhorn

baoklhorn 1,000+ Posts

Maybe Shannon is head coach but maybe like Akina is a secondary man and not a DC so maybe Shannon could be a long term DC for us.

In any case, the idea of Harsin/Bostad and Shannon/Papuchis does this for me;

[​IMG]

20. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

‎
    gkketch‎: Source: Longhorns have not yet contacted Randy Shannon about their DC position
    Entry Not Allowed‎ - rivals.com
    Twitter - 6 minutes ago - Travis Northeast, TX, USA

21. Lake_Travis_Horn

Lake_Travis_Horn 500+ Posts

The Shannon move, if that's the way Mack goes, can happen quickly because he's unemployed. The leading OC candidates are with teams that are in bowl games, so it's unlikely that the moves will be announced before the successful candidate's bowl is completed. We'd be pissed if one of our guys had accepted a new job before a bowl game; we shouldn't expect less integrity from our incoming coaches than we would from outgoing ones.

And on that note, unless Muschamp had some clause restricting him from accepting a HC job, and he either didn't have one or UT agreed to release him from it, then there was no ethical lapse in him moving to UF. Shame on us for paying him an extra 500K or so without any solid strings.

Same for Major - if he believes that going to UF is a better move for his career, then he should go with Mack's and our blessing. Employment continues as long as it's in the interest of the employer and the employee. When it is no longer in one of the parties' interests, then it ceases. Should be no expectations otherwise.

22. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

he has all it takes to be a HC. I think he could have brought the Canes back, if he would have been given the chance....

he had 4 seasons and they were basically .500 over that time period. he is a good strategist, they had great defenses. their offenses sucked. great coaches win immediately. see meyer, brown, stoops like coaches. also, muschamp wasnt florida's first choice. they made a run at stoops and he turned them down.

23. overmaars

overmaars 1,000+ Posts

Shannon becoming DC at Texas should shore up Cayleb Jones committment.

24. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

LMAO. This just gets weirder.

***FWIW***...

Luther Campbell (yes, the one from 2 Live Crew..."Me So Horny", etc) may get the credit for breaking the news of Randy Shannon to Texas DC if he's correct. Apparently he and Coach Shannon are friends.

25. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

As long as Shannon and Luther Campbell aren't a package deal, I'm down with that. Word up! [​IMG]

26. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

27. Esmack

Esmack 250+ Posts

I enjoyed luther's tweet, until I read 'head coach in waiting'...hopefully we've learned our lesson on that

28. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

29. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

All the Shannon talk is just rumors at this point! And, I'm sure that nobody has informed our recruits that he's the next DC before any contract has been inked. That would be reckless and stupid.

OB lists 3 candidates Shannon, Gray, and Withers. I even read that Mack and Shannon do not know each other and MAY have never even spoken. So, if would seem pretty impulsive on Mack's part to hire a man he doesn't know. I'm sure there will be 2 or 3 interviews and then a hire made -- weeks from now.

30. jagdilly69

jagdilly69 100+ Posts

It would be very Mack Brown-esque to go with Withers.