Rangers Magic Number

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Horn69, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

96. Need to finish off sweep of D-Backs tonight.

Math has always been a strongsuit.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

2. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Might be just a bit early to start printing World Series tickets.

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Wishbonemac

Wishbonemac 250+ Posts

The Baseball Gods responded to this thread I'm afraid.

4. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

Can the Rangers please end the Scooter Feldman experiment now? I realize options are limited, but I'd rather see some youngster get the start instead of a guy with a huge contract get shelled on a regular basis.

5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Hey H69 - your thread jinxed the R's last night [​IMG] I shouldn't but in my mind, prior to the game, when Feldman starts I am thinking "L".....

Well we got Darvish tonight vs. the lowly Astros and Grimm from Frisco starts Sat. night - we'll see how that goes... I know absolutely nothing about him.

6. HornHuskerDad

7. WorsterMan

Hey HHD - have fun out there Sat. night... on Sunday, we all expect a full debrief from you on Grimm. If it goes well, I suspect we will see more of him as the R's get through this pitching injury phase.

8. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Probably need to wait until September for thread like this even in jest. Nice to see Darvish get win last night and Zona beating the Angels was a plus. The Rangers just need to hold on until they get healthy and they will be in the thick of things late in the year. [​IMG]

9. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

10. HornHuskerDad

Hi, All, Mrs. HHD and I just got back from The Ballpark. Justin Grimm did a very creditable job - 6 innings, 3 runs, 6 hits, 7 Ks, no walks. Worked himself out of a jam with the Astros getting a leadoff double; he managed to get three outs without giving up the run. Good composure on the mound, considering his jump from AA to the majors. I like what I saw.

And I was especially glad to see the Rangers plate five while Justin was still the pitcher of record - so he gets the W in his major league debut.

Watch Sports Center to see Nellie's three-run dinger - it was a no-doubter, landing at the back of the visitor's bullpen. Stadium announced it as 481 feet.

BTW, reports said that Holland has regained five pounds or so and has started throwing from flat ground today. Maybe we'll see him back in another ten days or so.

Mrs. HHD and I are back next Sunday to see Rangers-Rockies.

11. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

93. Was there also. Grimm was as advertised. Solid strike thrower. Great confidence booster against AAA Astros.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

12. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

92. Big innings are fun. Colby rock solid.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

13. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

90. Big inning only 2. And in 1st. Good enough.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

14. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

89. Nice to see Josh back. Beltre and Cruz crushing. Scooter not only gets a win but a ribby. Go Rangers.

Hook'em!!!! [​IMG]

15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Shows the value of an winning streak while your closest rival is in the dumper. The Angles have won something like 11 or 12 of their las 15 or 16 and only gained 4 games on the Rangers while the Rangers were playing .500 ball.

16. WorsterMan

Despite what I said earlier about Feldman, I was pleased to see him get the W last night and get a RBI !! Let's get the broom out this afternoon for the lowly Pod's!!

17. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

Hey Woo Woo. Good thing our schedule has rewarded us with some really bad teams. Gotta win 80-90% of these.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

18. WorsterMan

Hey H69. Your right - we gotta win most of these... some lowly NL West teams to feast on... hope we can finish off the Pods tonight and then we get the struggling Rockies at home in the HEAT!

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

It was good to see Huston closing for SD last night. He made a couple of the Ranger hitters look foolish so hopefully he has regained his pre-injury form.

20. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

88. Damn Angels keep winning. And Weaver's back.

Viper, it was good to see Huston yesterday, esp. since he wasn't closing a win. I wish he were on a different team.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

21. WorsterMan

The good news is:

LAA is playing the Dodgers @ home starting Friday so they will be playing one of the better teams in baseball vs. some scrub team (however LAA took 2 of 3 @ Dodgers earlier this month) and YOUR TEXAS RANGERS get the woeful Rockies at home in our sizzling heat.

So, maybe the R's can put another game or two between them and the Angels this weekend.

22. WorsterMan

Oswalt starts tonight vs. Colo. We don't need him to throw a no-hitter or a shutout (although either would be nice), but we do need him to throw strikes and keep his pitches low to get lot's of infield ground balls AND get the R's through at least 5 or 6 innings. The bullpen is rested and can finish taking out the trash...

23. HornHuskerDad

WorsterMan, I'll be watching this one on TV - have a houseful of grandchildren for the weekend (just two of them, but at my age, two is a houseful!). Mrs. HHD and I do have tickets for Sunday evening - I think Matt Harrison will be on the mound that game.

A sweep of the Rockies, accompanied by a Dodger sweep of the Angels, would be a nice baseball weekend.

24. WorsterMan

Hey HHD - when you gotta watch 2 kids, you'll have play a zone defense. Yeah R's have an opportunity for a sweep - CO pitchers are weak and we are at home and have the bats... should be fun. Sun night game with Harrison should be a W - he has been pitching very well lately - it is going to be very "warm" that night.

25. HornHuskerDad

26. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

They hit Soswalt pretty well, but could only string enough together to get one run. The Dodgers blew a five-run lead and now trail the Angels 6-5 in the bottom of 5. Need the boys of Chavez Ravine to win that one!

27. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

the Angels are getting on their roll at the same time we are getting into the late stages of our streak. I dont' expect us to win more than 2 or three more in a row.

Angels might 8 or 10 more. The good thing is both teams will make the playoffs.

The Angels would be leading two of the six divisions in b-ball right now with their record.

28. HornHuskerDad

^And I'm disgusted with the Dodgers. They blew a five-run lead last night. I was hoping for a Ranger sweep of the Rockies and a Dodger sweep of the Angels.

29. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Great thing is with 91 games left to play if Rangers can just go 50-41, 9 games over .500, they will have 94 wins and that has been enough to win the west and/or be wild card for the past several years. A lot of games to play but as we approach the half way part of the season in just 10 games they have really put themselves in good position.

Right now even with all the injuries they have the best record in baseball. Once Feliz, Holland and Ogando come off the DL this team can quickly go back to being scary good.

30. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

if you look at the schedules for both teams in the next month, it really does favor the rangers. looks like the EASIEST team angels face is the tigers, while the rangers TOUGHEST team is the tigers. we really need to put some distance between us for the final 2 months of the season. i'd love a 10 game lead by the time we visit LA in a month. wishful thinking. easier said than done. GO RANGERS!