Rangers Magic Number

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Horn69, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

FW,

according to The Ticket guys, the rule has changed to where the best recors plays the WC regardless of their respective divisions. Don't hold me to that, but that's what they were saying.

ALSO.....this yr the 5 game series isn't 2-2-1 anymore....first 2 games at the lesser record' team's home field, last 3 at the better record team's home field.

2. sblazer

sblazer 500+ Posts

H2R, beat you! [​IMG]

3. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

Horn2Run is correct. The team with the best overall record plays the winner of the WC play-in (regardless of division affiliation) and the 2nd and 3rd division winners play each other. The concept that the teams with the better record go on the road for the first two games of the ALDS is supposedly the arrangement for this year only. I'm not sure of the details, but that format is supposedly due to some scheduling restrictions under the current CBA that could not be resolved when the MLBPA and MLB decided to add a second WC team this year. Not really buying what MLB and the MLBPA are selling in that regard, but that's supposed to be the story.

Anywho, here's a link that describes the post-season format: Linky

4. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

5. Hook 'Em Danno

Well, the Rangers offense appears to be off to another anemic start. Parker throws only 8 pitches to retire Texas in order in the 1st and 13 pitches to retire the side in the 2nd (with a Young single mixed in). 16 of the 21 pitches have been for strikes.

In contrast, after one inning, Martin Perez is off to an awful start-- bless his heart, the guy just appears to be in over his head right now. In the 1st, he threw 31 pitches (of which 19 were balls) and gave up 2 runs on 3 hits and a balk. The Rangers are fortunate to trail only by 2 runs. On the bright side, he's off to a better start than Holland enjoyed yesterday. [​IMG]

6. Hook 'Em Danno

Rangers rally a bit in the 3rd and score a run, but leave two men on (after having them on with one out). 2-1 A's.

Speaking of appearing lost, Hamilton has struck out twice on 6 pitches and looked bad doing so. I think something is wrong with that dude.

7. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

this is the absolute truth: I just said, Michael is hitting this guy better than anyone...is it possible he could go yard?" Woohoo!!! [​IMG]

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

8. Hook 'Em Danno

^^^ Yep. Young hits a solo shot to tie the game. Perez also seems to be settling down a bit. Sure would be nice to get some more good innings out of him.

Of course, as soon as I typed this, Perez gives up a lead-off double to the No. 9 hitter (who has a .219 BA), which is promptly followed by another run-scoring double by Crisp. [​IMG]

3-2 A's. Feldman coming into the game. That doesn't give me any warm fuzzies.

9. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

A's PH Moss in 5th. Wow. Can't believe they're doing that. Go R's!!!

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

10. Hook 'Em Danno

Doesn't surprise me that the A's brought in Moss to PH. The guy has been hitting the ball well lately--he hit a walk-off, 3-run shot on Saturday IIRC.

11. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

I thought they would have started Moss tonight. Was surprised when they didn't. But funny they bring him in the first time we have a RHP in.

Beltre now on 2nd. Let's get a run her...or tie.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

12. Hook 'Em Danno

So sick of seeing Feldman. After struggling to allow only one inherited runner to score in the 5th, he gets two outs in the 6th and then walks the No. 8 guy (who is hitting .189) and gives up a hit to Pennington, who has a hefty .218 BA and PHs for the No. 9 guy. Runners at the corners and Kirkman coming in-- just keeps on getting better, huh?

13. Hook 'Em Danno

Another head-scratching bullpen move as Wash goes to Uehara, who appears to be the Rangers best set-up man and back-up closer, with Texas trailing by a run in the 7th. Why do that?

14. Hook 'Em Danno

Uehara works around a hit to retire the A's without further damage in the 7th and the Rangers go quickly and quietly in the 8th. On comes Oswalt to face the bottom of the A's order-- should be able to get into the 9th needing one to tie (but you never know with Oswalt).

15. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

Wash uses Koji for the 6th time in 8 days. ..

16. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

Flip side.....

Grant Balfour dominates us in a closing effort. He was given a week off in late Sept for the stretch drive, now looks in top shape....Contrast that with Nathan.

I can't believe anyone would defend Wash. There's not a single player on the A's roster that would start for Texas -- yet here we are clinging to a one game lead over them.

We'll win a game vs them, but it's clear who the better Manager is

17. Hook 'Em Danno

Magic number still 2. Need to win tomorrow and give the pen some rest for the ALDS. Now tied with Yanks for best record-- that ship has sailed IMO, so Detroit is likely opponent unless Texas gets swept and has to go to play in, which would be a disaster waiting to happen.

18. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Did not know about the rule change, that is interesting. Really didnt expect to win last night with the five hole pitching but Rangers kept it close and made it interesting.

Today is the day with Harrison on the mound; couldnt ask for more as Rangers have best pitcher on mound against a pitcher with an ERA over 4. Rangers need to do it tonight I dont want to sweat out a game tomorrow. [​IMG]

19. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

^Agree - Matt takes care of business today, then the only remaining issue is home field advantage. It would help if the Yankees would lose their last two games against Boston, but that's probably asking too much.

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

HHD,

I think you're right about asking too much. Have to wonder how much the Bosox will be into these games knowing Bobby V is managing his last games there. Can't be a lot of enthusiasm in that dugout

21. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

22. Hook 'Em Danno

Fellow zealots, y'all are going to have to will the Rangers to victory and the West Division championship without me tonight. I need to have a baseball-stress-free day tomorrow. [​IMG]

23. Hook 'Em Danno

Well, I check into the game and see that the Rangers offensive suckage continues, and against a pitcher they should be shelling. Per Evan Grant/DMN, they get runners on in 7 out of the 9 innings and have only one run to show for it. Meanwhile, the A's hang around and the offense finally gets some runs across, primarily coming from the bottom of the order. So pathetic.

This team is on the verge of a second catastrophic collapse in as many years. I'm so mad I could spit. I'm also depressed, so I'm calling it a night. The Rangers already have.

24. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

R's 1-7 RISP. Says it all. Need big 9th - Yanks did it tonight, let's match 'em.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

25. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

Down to one game. Wow. Who would have ever thought? All hands on deck. All Zealots. All Mojo. Everything will be needed. Need Dempster + bats. Let's go Rangers!!

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

26. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

27. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Gut check time tomorrow!

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

28. scottyhorn

scottyhorn 250+ Posts

Horns69 I wake up every morning reading your post and you are one smart person when it comes to Texas Rangers baseball team. I too love the Rangers but I feel there not as ambitious or hungry as the A's are this season since the Rangers have been to the last 2 world Series and the A's are a bunch of young and very talented no name over achievers this baseball season. Also when you have guys like Michael Young making what 21 million a season batting what .277 and Josh Hamilton .285 you know he wants a huge contract next season. The A's are playing total money ball with one of the smallest payrolls in baseball I know Astros are at the bottom. I just think The Rangers need to wake up fast like today and get a win to take into the post season or they will one and done
    [​IMG]

29. scottyhorn

scottyhorn 250+ Posts

Horns69
    Who are the guys in your photo I know 16 is James street and the third guy on the right is Steve Worster who are the other guys ?
    I was born in 1965 so this is a little before my time.
    [​IMG]

30. Hook 'Em Danno

Not trying to be a Debbie-Downer, but someone needs to talk me off the ledge 'cause this morning has the same feel as the morning of Game 7 of last year's World Series, and we all know how that ended. Give the A's credit (they are something like 67-33 over the last 100 games--that's mind boggling), but I am so disappointed over where this Rangers team is right now. They seem to be tired and, save a couple of guys, look like a team that is just going through the motions. I'll be hoping for the best today but expecting the worst 'cause they are facing a buzz saw and, overall, this offense has been woeful over the past month, the pitching terribly inconsistent, and the Rangers have given us no indication that they are coming out of it.

Yes, if the Rangers lose today, they will still be in the playoffs. But, given the state of the team right now, I've got no confidence that they'll get past the wild card play-in game. That would be a fitting ending to one of the greatest regular season collapses in recent memory--in first place the entire season only to lose it on the last day.