Rangers Magic Number

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Horn69, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

Dear Rangers Hornfans:

I need to quote Mack after his first disastrous OU loss: "I want to apologize to all Texas fans."

I truly am sorry for jinxing our Rangers. It obviously takes some extreme confidence to start and continue a "Magic Number" thread for 4 months. I feel like I let everyone down - ya'll tried to tell me not to do it, but I stubbornly plowed ahead.

I appreciate everyone's hard work to cheer the Rangers on. After today, we can put this thread to rest. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

2. petscii

petscii 250+ Posts

Good for you, as an A's fan I've wanted to talk a lot of **** during this thread. I refrained. It was the single hardest thing I've ever had to do online.

3. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Next year we just need a season long Texas Rangers thread, this was a fun way to follow the season and by the participation in this one thread it was a great place for the Ranger zealots to get together.

4. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

OK, Zealots,

Everyone step back from the ledge. If God is willing, the sun will rise tomorrow morning. It sucks to lose the AL West, but the Rangers are in the playoffs - admittedly with a tougher road than expected. But the Cardinals won the Series last year as a Wild Card, so it can be done.

I'm now convinced that the Rangers cannot play with a pat hand next season. Everyone in the AL West will be better (except the Astros, of course). I see several things to be addressed:

-Kinsler is a disappointment as a leadoff man. Perhaps Elvis is ready for that slot.
    -Feliz is not projected to be healthy until mid-season at the earliest. The Rangers will need another starter. Is Dempster available and willing to sign? Can the Rangers pry someone like Shields with a good trade?
    -Profar looks like he's ready for the big leagues. If you put him at 2B, what do you do with Kinsler?
    -Biggest question - Free Agent Josh Hamilton. I trust Jon Daniels to do the right thing, but I'm not sure committing four or five years to Josh at an outrageous salary is the right thing to do. Is there a trade available - Jacoby Elsbury, perhaps?
    -Mike Napoli is also a Free Agent. Based on missing a large part of the year, his value on the market has decreased - maybe he can be signed at a reasonable price.
    -The Rangers need to sign Matt Harrison long-term - before he even smells free agency.
    -What about Nellie Cruz? He'll be in his last year.
    -The Rangers didn't get a lot of offensive production from 1B. Maybe Mitch isn't the long-term answer. Is there a good-hitting 1B available in free agency?
    -Mike Olt looks to be ready, but he certainly won't displace Beltre at 3B. Where does he play?
    -Martin Perez may be a good prospect, but he is clearly not ready - off to AAA he goes.

I bet the rest of you can add to these thoughts.

Meanwhile, time to refocus and get ready for the O's on Friday. Mrs. HHD and I are going to have a houseful of grandkids for the weekend (two of them, but at my age, two is a houseful!), so we'll have to watch on TV. Let's get our mojo working for Friday!

HHD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

I agree, it was a fun thread. Looking forward to next April when H69 starts a new one!

I'd like to see a Stros' magic # thread too.

This year may or may not be lost, but there are moves that need to be made personnel-wise. Young and Kinsler will get shopped, hopefully JD can work some magic there

6. LikeMike

LikeMike 500+ Posts

I'd also shop Cruz. Such a careless base runner and is cold too often. And with mister "Hit into a double play" batting behind him, the Rangers have a black hole at 5 and 6 very often.

7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Colby's injury and a not together clubhouse at the end of the season were the issues. When Colby went down Texas not only lost innings by starter, but also was forced to start three pitchers (Feldman, Oswalt and Perez) who are not championship level performers.

The Josh show finally got to the team as the season wore on. The final straw was the caffeine/eye deal. When the guy you count on is not there when you need him, everyone suffers.

8. scottyhorn

scottyhorn 250+ Posts

WorsterMan, thank you for the photo update. I am guessing that is the best backfield UT has ever had at the running game during the wishbone era?
    1. Rangers officially suck
    2. Balitmore will beat them if they play like they have the last 4 games
    3. Half of Bucks team is ex rangers player who would love to beat them at home in Arlington
    4. Josh Hamilton needs to move on I hope JD does not give him BIG $$$ and a long contract
    5. Ian Kinsler I think went 1-10 during the 4 games series not good
    6. Rangers can't keep any type of lead agianst the A's
    7. Money Ball is Alive and well in Oakland
    8. Enjoyed reading Horn69 takes everyday about the game
    9. Congrads to our 1st triple crown winner Milky Caberra
    10. Rangers will not be in the World Seres this year

[​IMG]

9. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

H69 - in my post division loss / choke stupor early this morning I was thinking about this thread you started and how much fun it was. Thank you for starting it. BTW, you didn't jinx this team, nor did anyone else. The Rangers and Wash did this all to themselves.

Now it is time to get focusness on Baltimore for the Rangers and the hapless Dallas Cowboys... their next is vs. Baltimore Ravens a week from Sunday.

Go Rangers!!! [​IMG]

10. scottyhorn

scottyhorn 250+ Posts

Horn69 thanks for the entertaining thread I have learned a lot and enjoyed reading your comments. Now let's get focused and get a big win today let's beat the O's in our own back yard I will be at the game
    Ready for a great game plus Darvish is pitching should be fun

[​IMG]