Ranking the 10 best bowl games of all time

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by bck031, Jan 21, 2017.

1. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

No. 10: 1965 Orange Bowl: Texas 21, Alabama 17
    In a meeting of two'60s powers and the first night game in bowl history, Texas upset No. 1 Alabama, stopping Joe Namath inches short of the goal line on a fourth-down sneak.

[​IMG]

and of course:

No. 1: 2006 Rose Bowl: Texas 41, USC 38
    Vince Young sashayed into the end zone on a fourth-and-five with 19 seconds left to derail the USC dynasty in a breathtaking victory. Trojans fans are still haunted by Pete Carroll's ill-fated gamble on fourth-and-two, a LenDale White run up the gut, that set up the winning Texas drive.

[​IMG]

http://www.si.com/college-football/photo/2016/12/15/best-bowl-games-ranking

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Of course of course.

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Concur with #1

4. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

:hookem::hookem::hookem:

I remember watching the UT vs. Bama game as a kid with my Dad.

#12 Marvin Kristynik was QB, Ernie Koy Jr. #23 was FB and punter, Pete Lammons #87 was TE and #60 LB was THE Tommy Nobis. Almost forgot QB Jim Hudson hit WR George Sauer with a 70 yard TD pass that night - very unusual in those days.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Disagree with the emphasis of their summary though. Punting was a gamble too. We hadn't stopped White up the gut all night long. Pete made the right call, our players made the right play.

6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

No doubt about it...Texas - SC #1.

7. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

That pic is not the winning TD, tho.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

I guess they aren't counting this year's national final as a "bowl game" because that would definitely belong on the list somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I agree Clemson-Bama should be on there. It is no less a bowl game than our Rose Bowl title game vs USC.

10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The Committee went out of their way to specify that the Championship Game is not a bowl game, but the two semifinal games are. Crazy; but has to do with the TV money.

This list should specify National Championship Games and Bowl Games Other than NC games. Texas/SC would be on the former and Texas/Michigan Rose Bowl and Texas/Alabama 1965 both would be on the later.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

If it was on the list, where would it go? My first thought is #2, but that may be a bias in favor of recency.

• Like Like x 2
  12. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

My problem with #6, is the ND kid did not score on the final play. Dig up Blackie Sherrod and he will tell you the same. He even made reference to it on the infamous "5th down" game between Colorado and Missouri in 1990. What bothered him with that game at Columbia was not the official's screwing up and giving CU another play, but rather "the young man did not score".

The Texas-Bama game was the first game I ever saw on a color TV. At the time, that was as big as winning the game. And while having no dog in the Clemson-Alabama game this year, it was an incredible football game to watch.

Big games and Super Bowls seldom live up to the hype. In the summer of 1992 my late brother was in Vegas and bet on the next January's Super Bowl. He bet the NFC team to win and to cover the points. And he took the over on total points. Dallas won 52-17 and his $250 tri-fecta bet paid for our trip to the game.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Not sure about all those games. A great moment at the end does not a great game make.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Some of you guys are making feel young. Bless you for that. :bow::smile1:

Incidentally, I didn't see a date on that link, but it's possible it predated the NC game. I'd definitely put this past one in the top 5.