Ravens reportedly offer Garrett HC job

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by RunRickyRun34, Jan 15, 2008.

1. RunRickyRun34

RunRickyRun34 250+ Posts

per ESPNThe Link

I think it goes without saying that he is in a position to take over the reigns to America's Team with a very good/young talent base and a new stadium on the way. I just don't see why he would take a job in a dive like Baltimore. Seems like he would just be taking a HC job to be a HC. Here's hoping he exercises a little patience, because I have no doubt that the future would be brighter for him if he sticks it out in Dallas. As a Cowboys fan, I really don't see Wade staying in Dallas much more than 1 more year, 2 max.

Another point: Given the offense that Garrett ran in Dallas this year, it doesn't seem like a fit with the personnel in place in Baltimore. About the only comparable player would be Heap (playing the Witten role of course), but he is always hurt.

2. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

I agree. Baltimore HC < Dallas OC right now.

3. voteforhank

voteforhank 100+ Posts

But: Dallas OC money < Baltimore HC money.

4. RunRickyRun34

RunRickyRun34 250+ Posts

from the article:

5. UnBiased Horn

UnBiased Horn 250+ Posts

some head coaches get 4 or 5 million bucks, I can't see Jerry paying JG that much money to stay as OC. Do we know what Baltimore is offering?

6. ballrific

ballrific 500+ Posts

didn't think it could get worse for the Cowboys after last weekend's flop but if JG left, I think the shat would hit the fan..

7. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

I love what JG did for Dallas but I just do not think he is anywhere near ready to be an NFL head coach. He has only been an offensive coordinator all of one year for God's sake.
    I just think he needs more experience.

8. celis

celis 250+ Posts

I don't think 1st time HCs get 4-5 million dollar contracts.

What did Cam Cameron get at Miami?

Garrett will need to weigh how long he will be the hot name. He may need to strike while he can. Even if he fails at the Ravens/Falcons. He is young enough to overcome it. Look at Norv Turner. Average at Washington. Did not turn around the Raiders. Has the Chargers in the AFC Champ. game.

9. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

It's obvious that the game has passed Garrett by, as evidenced by the December decline of the Cowboys' offense.

Someone like John Mackovic would be an excellent replacement for Garrett, endearing himself to the players, while providing a fresh innovative direction for the offense.

10. naked_bongo

naked_bongo 500+ Posts

11. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, the last offensive guru that Baltimore hired (Billick) went about a decade running one of the worst offenses in the NFL. He did win a Super Bowl, but not because of the wide-open offense that he had while he was Oc at Minnesota. In short, Modell never got the offense that he wanted out of Billick.

Problem is that team is defensive in nature and the offense should be built to complement that. They need to install a similar offense to J'Ville's or Cowher's Pittsburgh offenses. Garrett likes to open it up more. I think that it would be a bad match for both.

12. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

13. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Fire Wade and hire Garrett.

14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Thank you TG for that logical, well-reasoned, informative answer that shows so clearly why you disagree with that idea.